Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wierd electrical gremlin...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falcor75
This last saturday I had been at an airfield slalom event and was driving home.
I've got Spokes front LED units so ordinary driving I just use the leds as DRL's so my lightswitch was in the first step pulled out.

Suddenly the headlights popped up about halfway up. (both)
I pulled the lightswitch out and they went fully up, I shut them down and they cycled down as normal.

Once back home in the garage I shut the car down and then turned the ignition on again and turned the headlights on, this time they kept cycling up down up down up down untill I shut them down. Tried it once more and this time they worked as normal... I tried to provoke the error again but only got normal operation.

Not quite sure what to think. Since its both the headlights thats affected I'm suspecting the light switch rather than a relay. What could cause it inside the switch I have no idea. blink.gif
Spoke
The light switch only gets the process of lights-up and lights-down going. Kinda like spinning the manual knob until the cam wheel cycles the lights up and down. Once you get to the point where the cam contacts, the switch is out of the picture.

Were the lights 1/2 way up or just to the point where the cam wheel takes over?

I would check the relay. Since each light has its own cam wheel, I doubt it's the cam wheels.
falcor75
They were halfway to 3/4 way up. I thought it wierd that this issue appeared now just a few days after I had the fusebox down to install the modded indicator relay.

I'll have to take it down and check the relay this weekend.
Spoke
There's a relay on each motor so I doubt it's the relay since they both went up together.

When you had the up/down/up/down behavior, you said it continued until you "shut them down". Do you mean you pushed the headlight switch in? Then they acted normally?

Since they do this together, they're both getting the same signal. There's 2 wires from the headlights to power up (Grey; pin 56K on headlight switch) and power down (Green/Black; pin 30b on headlight switch).

I can get my headlights to go 1/2 way up if I pull the headlight switch then quickly push back to parking lights.

It seems like these 2 wires are somewhat crossed or shorting on something else.

It could be your switch as well. I don't have any experience with failing headlight switches. Maybe someone else will chime in.
URY914
There is a blue pill that will help you get it up. If they stay up more than 4 hours, see your mechanic.
falcor75
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO4Vtf0nv4I

Seems there's a glitch in the lightswitch.
falcor75
I'm working up the nerve to open up my lightswitch. Any ideas what to look for inside it that could cause the cycling of the headlights?
falcor75
I didnt have to open up the switch. I removed the under dash pad and the air vent and unscrewed the switch from the dash, doing this I noticed that the grey cable was quite tight against the other cables so I made a 5 inch long insulated extension piece and put that between the grey cable and the switch. Less tension on the cable seems to have done the trick and now I cant induce the wiggly headlights anymore.

Gremlin cured! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.