Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: so what car would you trade your 914 for? a GT4?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
dflesburg
Just wondering, what car would make you give up your 914 and move on...

If you came to the conclusion that you could only have one Porsche what would it take to get you to move on...

The GT4 almost had it all... in my mind. If only the top would go down.
halmil
Gulp! Only one Porsche!!!
I would give up my 914 before my 993TT
Isnt the Boxster Spyder kind of the GT4 equivalent?
thelogo
flag.gif .

Dont go forward but go back

550 spyder would make me dump my 914

Something about those little bastards i just cant resist

sheeplove.gif
thelogo
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jun 13 2017, 02:40 PM) *

flag.gif .

Dont go forward but go back

550 spyder would make me dump my 914

Something about those little bastards i just cant resist

sheeplove.gif

Guess you could consider this a exploded
View smoke.gif
Mueller
I hope to be facing this problem in the next few months since I entered PCA's raffle for 1 of 6 911 GTS models. smile.gif

I don't have room for both the GTS if I won it and the 914 so one of them would have to go!

The biggest problem with the GTS is cost of ownership. Insurance, registration and all the other big dollar items that follow a car like that. On the plus side it would be a car I could actually get into and drive unlike the 914.

I think my solution would be to sell both and buy nice running complete 914 and have some cash left over.
Tom_T
I wouldn't .... which is why I hung onto mine since 1985 in the hope of getting her repaired /restored & on the road again, which 914 had just been treated to a rolling resto in 1980-85, before the Ditz hit it while parked in the parking structure. sad.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JmuRiz
I don't think I could trade the 914...too much history with it, plus it was the wedding getaway car smile.gif

I'd have to give up the 356 first, but that'd be tough to let go.
I get too attached to cars.
smveril
I am like Tom T. I bought my 73 2 liter in 1985. Restoration almost done.

I just buy others, like a 76 and a VW bus and others.

Mike
Mike Bellis
I would trade for a GT4 in a heartbeat. I would also consider a Cayman S with PDK. No Boxster.
VegasRacer

Please, don't make me choose. I don't know how I could possibly survive with only 1 mid-engine Porsche.
I love having both a modern and a classic Porsche. Each car makes me appreciate the other one even more.

In fantasy land I would trade both my 914-6 and Cayman R for a 918. Weissach edition please.

In the real would, if I could only have one, I guess the Boxster Spyder would be the best compromise.
914forme
Easy 917-30 shades.gif
Elliot Cannon
It wouldn't have to be a Porsche. I would trade for one of these in a heartbeat. I'd even drive it to the Red Rocks Classic. av-943.gif In one day! biggrin.gif
kgruen2
A 904, but I'd have to try it on for size first. It may not fit. A 914 would be a perfect donor car for a 904 look-alike, if they could only get the proportions right. Or a Ferrari Dino GTS (I know, I know - a Dino is not a "real" Ferrari)
carr914
Depends on the day!

Some days I would trade it for a Box of Rocks, Most Days I wouldn't trade it for anything!
yellow75
1970 911S non sunroof coupe. silver please.
sb914
This Click to view attachment
jor
I really like using the 914. It's vintage enough to provide the really mechanical experience of feeling the gears mesh when shifting (through that cool, dog-leg 5-speed box), perfect steering weight, quick transition and balance from light aggregate weight and mid-engine placement, and an air-cooled sound. It even smells like it should: hot oil and vinyl. But it's modern enough to have 3-point seat belts, crumple zones, and things like door pockets and 12v electronics. It's practical so I can take it grocery shopping for the week, but it's unique and colorful in a sea of white/silver/black jelly beans. The top comes off and stores without compromising too much rear trunk space. Plus, it's not so expensive that, if I get a door ding or parking lot scrape, I won't panic.

A 904, 550, or even vintage 911S would look awesome in my garage, but would be awkward in stop-and-go traffic and would be flatly worrisome leaving something that expensive in my office garage at work. A well sorted 914 is probably more fun on the street at legal speeds than a GT4. Perhaps if I ever get to drive one, I'll rethink that.

I'm with Tom on this: keep the 914. That said, if I had a bigger garage and a safe full of cash, I might supplement the 914 with one of those expensive toys ....
jor
Oh -- for Vegas Racer -- my local Porsche dealer (Downtown LA) had a 918 in the service department and I had to check it out. The tech told me that the owner had driven it to work and scraped the front spoiler hard on a curb. New front spoiler required. $20,000. blink.gif

According to the tech, the owner has vowed not to drive his 918 around Los Angeles anymore. A loss for us all. sad.gif
Andyrew
I think I would trade mine for any new 911 (with a turbo). Sure give it 20 years and maybe the 914 is more expensive (case in point 996). A targa would be preferable.

I agree with Mike a Cayman S PDK would be nice, but it would need to be the 12+

Another car I would go for is a Audi TTRS, send it over to APR with 10k and come back with a monster.
Ansbacher
I would take a pristine 928, as long as it came with a factory-trained mechanic and unlimited funds to maintain it (had one, been there, know what they are like).

Ansbacher
3d914
Non-Porsche - Lotus Esprit V8

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
A nice stockish looking 95' 240sx le coupe with a ls conversion. With 300zx brakes and a nice suspention.
sb914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 14 2017, 12:48 PM) *

A nice stockish looking 95' 240sx le coupe with a ls conversion. With 300zx brakes and a nice suspention.

Here you go!Not a ls butt still cool ( not mine )Click to view attachment
wes
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 14 2017, 03:42 AM) *

Depends on the day!

Some days I would trade it for a Box of Rocks, Most Days I wouldn't trade it for anything!

agree.gif But I'm not telling when because I'm not looking forward to you guys showing up with a box of rocks right now!
rhodyguy
It would HAVE to be silver too. As most have been ruined by wannabe drifters and the premium unmolested cars fetch these days, i'm safe. Maybe a 2005 Holden Monaro er...GTO. Not the v-6 version. I would ditch the Pontiac body bits.
Rav914
One of these, and I'd drop my 914 in a heartbeat. But actually a factory prepped 500SLC rally car would do the trick as well.
rgalla9146
Yes, GT4
My 6 for that 6
Mueller
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 14 2017, 12:48 PM) *

^Lucky I am not a mod, that is recipe for a one week ban smile.gif
rhodyguy
Don't be a hater til you ride in one. You might be surprized.
forrestkhaag
I sold a 97 993 after (......key word,..AFTER) buying another 914. I don't want to have a car doing any driving for me. At my age, I want to know it was my input that was the failure or success. Not a nanosensor on the preframulator that received negative downside input from the computer dirven ballsucculation minimizer.

the 914 will punish your ass if you push it beyond its limits regardless of config.

Yes, I have a vehicle or two that have heat. Yes they have dual AC systems and third row seats and ski racks. I just haven't been interested in driving those vehicles for any purpose other than making someone else safe and comfortable. That purpose has its place what with family and friends.

Not so much in a 914.

So. I would not trade my 914-6 3.0 for a 993, 996 C4S, or any other 911 or 356 I have owned outright. Right now, this car is a hoot. A mechanical challenge. And at its margins, an E-ticket ride.

Sidebar: It does me no good and probably no good at all, but the plethora of chicks and their lame-ass dudes walking Pacific Coast Highway with a phome plastered to the ear - after a soft day of roasting on the beach just love the rip and scream of the 911 Weber throated, MSDS header breathing, bone stock 911 exhaust note. They don't know what they just heard. Its not regular Mustang or Japanese whatnot. They just like it. they walk up to the car and ask as to what it is....

Summer is here on the left coast and the snowflakes are a meltin. Given the population, there is an engine dudet still out there. My motorhead son and I will be ready to train her up.
beerchug.gif

pete-stevers
I wouldn't trade my 914... I just want to build it up... nothing more
I need some 46 pmos
some time... a couple of yrs
just a few parts
and did I say time.... shades.gif
My 914
I would only give up my 914 for another 914.

jeffdon
A really well done 550 spyder replica. Or a real one, but that will not happen.
SKL1
Never for sale- '71 was my first car and I'm original owner. Luckily both my boys inherited the car gene, and I've got one for each of them...

Also lucky enough to have a 993 and a 981 Spyder- it's mid-engined so at least related to the 914. Actually I wish I still had my previous Elise- that was as close to a new 914 as you can get these days!!
PlantMan
Ford Fiesta RS......that is if they actually made one.....
Nothing fancy.
JRust
Only thing I would trade my 914 for. Is a nicer 914
mbseto
If you asked me today, it would be a Lola T70:

Click to view attachment

On any other day, it might be a Lamborghini Muira, Ford GT40, Jag XJ13...
90quattrocoupe
IPB Image
AZBanks
Something that runs.
RRietman
interesting that no one has said 356. my 914 is great, I drive it a lot and it gets smiles everywhere. my 356 makes ME smile.
Randy
Cairo94507
Don't hate me but I would have to trade my Six for another mid-engine 6, a Dino 246 GTS. Forest Green with tan leather. Have always loved them. Since they are approximately $400K, I don't see one in my near future.....I think my Six will be safe in my garage for a very long time.

EdwardBlume
I'd trade my /6 for a Boxster GTS '14-'16.
gothspeed
As far as p-cars go, a 914 GT still gets me. and yes I've owned many tail draggers including modded 930 & 993TT wink.gif
RickS
Drove a 2016 Cayman GTS on the track and it was absolutely sensational in every sense. But would like trade my 914 for it? In a heartbeat. Yes it is just that good. . Click to view attachment
tygaboy
BMW E9
cali914
Either the viper acr or the Porsche gt3.
domer914
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jun 13 2017, 02:25 PM) *

Just wondering, what car would make you give up your 914 and move on...

If you came to the conclusion that you could only have one Porsche what would it take to get you to move on...

The GT4 almost had it all... in my mind. If only the top would go down.

I have a pristine 356 cabriolet, and a super fast turbo S cab. The 914 got me into the Porsche brand. I continue to pour money into it. I wouldn't give it up. It would be the last to go.
Mueller
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 29 2017, 09:22 PM) *

Don't hate me but I would have to trade my Six for another mid-engine 6, a Dino 246 GTS. Forest Green with tan leather. Have always loved them. Since they are approximately $400K, I don't see one in my near future.....I think my Six will be safe in my garage for a very long time.

Dang, that is pretty.

so what car would you trade your 914 for? a GT4?
Right now a running 914 smile.gif
domer914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 29 2017, 11:22 PM) *

That's a beautiful Dino!
Mueller
QUOTE(cali914 @ Dec 30 2017, 07:12 AM) *

Either the viper acr or the Porsche gt3.

I've only driven a '02 Viper, not once during the drive did I wish to own it. I would imagine the ACR being better however.

Yes on the GT3!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.