Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How does one remove the Parking Brake Cables?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doug_b_928
The adjusting nuts on the cables were seized, but I managed to get them free and adjust them so that the maximum amount of slack is available on the cockpit side of the park brake cables. I was thinking that I'd then be able to simply remove the cables from the 'swivel attachment plate' (where both cables attach to the plate that, in turn, attaches to a cable that, in turn, attaches to the parking brake handle) but there doesn't seem to be enough slack to accomplish that. Is there some technique to manipulation the connectors on the 'swivel attachment plate'? I'm sure this is really easy and I apologize for the dumb question, but the answer is escaping me (I'm very gentle with things so perhaps getting a pair of pliers and really pulling on the cables to get them around the curve of 'swivel attachment plate' is the solution???).
iankarr
No prob!

There are pins securing both sides of the short cable connecting the swivel plate and the handbrake lever. Undo one of those pins to relieve the tension.
doug_b_928
Excellent, thanks! I'll give that a go.
doug_b_928
I got those pins out, but it wasn't easy. They were quite stuck. One of them is really corroded and deformed. The clip that holds it on disintegrated when I tried to remove it. Anyone know if these clips and pins are available anywhere? Here is a pic of each:

Click to view attachment

This is the good pin

Click to view attachment

Also, I cleaned some overspray off of the parking brake handle with some acetone. It removed the overspray but also seemed to screw up the finish on the handle (it's kind of sticky now). Anyone know a way to restore the finish on the handle or is it replaceable?
mepstein
Eric at pmb performance told me he has them in stock. They are pretty cheap. Once rusty, they break pretty easily.
Eric might also have the rubber grip. If not, try 914 rubber or your Porsche dealer.
doug_b_928
Great, thanks. I'll add these to the list of things to get from him.
iankarr
You're lucky they didn't completely rust-weld. I had to drill mine out. AA carries the pins, but they're a bit shorter than stock and wouldn't work on my car. Best to get them from Eric....
doug_b_928
Yeah, drilling was my next option (I'd already tried the hot wrench). Thanks for the tip re the AA pins.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.