Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Dampers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Biggles
More questions!

I've realised my dampers are shot, and need replacing. I've got Boge on the front and Konis on the back, with progressive rear springs.

What are people with larger 6 (heaver) engines using? im running a 3.2 engine

I definitely don't want anything too harsh/hard, and I won't be taking the car on the track.

Thanks

Chris
Mark Henry
Are they all shot? I'd start with Bilstiens (or koni's) on the front.
How many pounds are the springs?
Biggles
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 16 2017, 02:24 PM) *

Are they all shot? I'd start with Bilstiens (or koni's) on the front.
How many pounds are the springs?

The front is rock hard and the back isn't much better. Not sure of spring rates. I guess this could be found out by measuring the coil diameter and number of spring turns there are. Thoughts?
defianty
Chris, I can't comment on the feel yet obviously but I've just bought Bilsteins all round for mine along with 200lb linear rear springs and adjustable perches. I do however want a fairly firm ride hence the reason for my choice of springs. I had a good chat with Moggy as he really knows his stuff regarding suspension.

I got the shocks from Rose Passion, the springs and adjustable perches from eBay.

Oh, and I've also got 21mm torsion bars up front.
Tom_T
Hey Chris,

If you were the original buyer of the Koni's on the rear & still have your receipt, I'm pretty sure that they still have a lifetime warranty in the UK too (Koni does in the US), so you could go with Konis up front if the rears are still satisfactory.

Just a thought.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Biggles
QUOTE(defianty @ Jun 16 2017, 05:28 PM) *

Chris, I can't comment on the feel yet obviously but I've just bought Bilsteins all round for mine along with 200lb linear rear springs and adjustable perches. I do however want a fairly firm ride hence the reason for my choice of springs. I had a good chat with Moggy as he really knows his stuff regarding suspension.

I got the shocks from Rose Passion, the springs and adjustable perches from eBay.

Oh, and I've also got 21mm torsion bars up front.

Thanks Stephen but your set up sounds too stiff for my tastes.
Probably 180 on the rears is nearer the mark. I've also put on an original front roll bar (it had a 26mm bar which was total overkill on a street car with no weight in the front).

Mark Henry
QUOTE(Biggles @ Jun 16 2017, 10:50 AM) *

The front is rock hard and the back isn't much better. Not sure of spring rates. I guess this could be found out by measuring the coil diameter and number of spring turns there are. Thoughts?

On the rock hard front suspension I bet the bushings are shot and there's so much corrosion and crap in there it has seized the A-arm.
I had the same thing, I thought my bilstien's (acquired used) must be toast but I was doing a full upgrade to 5 bolt and I replaced my A-arm bushings and found out there was nothing wrong with my struts.

Do a site search, I know someone posted a spring calculator just this spring.
porschetub
I'am running Bilsteins with 100 pound springs in the rear,its a little soft,my front was rock hard but the bilstein inserts were toast,changed out for Sachs /Boge gas with stock swaybar and ride is great for our crappy roads.
I would like to go to adjustable perchs in the rear in the not so distant future.
I may replace the Bilsteins in the front for new as it appears the old ones are too expensive to repair.
Engine weight will have some bearing on the rear spring for sure,I'am only running a baby six but I would assume the 3.2 to be quite a bit heavier.
Biggles
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 16 2017, 06:38 PM) *

Hey Chris,

If you were the original buyer of the Koni's on the rear & still have your receipt, I'm pretty sure that they still have a lifetime warranty in the UK too (Koni does in the US), so you could go with Konis up front if the rears are still satisfactory.

Just a thought.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

thanks Tom, i didnt know that about Konis. I'll have to ask.

I'm sure the front has nothing to do with the bushings, but i will investigate further

The rears i feel are seized too because i tried to adjust the amount of the top of the shock absorber rod coming out of the top of the nut (it was loose), and it was rock hard after a couple of turns - they should easily be drawn up with a spanner on the nut and one to hold off on the flats on the rod?
Dave_Darling
There isn't really much if any adjustment there. That's intended purely to hold the top of the shock onto the body. Once it is tight, that's all it can do.

Any adjustment would be done either by replacing springs, or by changing over to adjustable lower spring perches.

--DD
arne
Koni reds were adjustable at the shafts, but they have to be completely compressed to do so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.