Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: thermostat bellows in action
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Enjoy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFrcKSB-oUM
mark04usa
Now that I've installed an Awsome Powdercoat bellows, mine works like that, too! It had been years since I had a properly working t-stat, probably shortened the life of my engine a bit by running a faulty cooling system as engines do not like to be cold. beerchug.gif
iankarr
I had one of the Awesome Powdercoat bellows on my 73. Great that someone's making them. The one here on my 74 is original. Found it on evilbay. When I saw the dents and flat spots I doubted it worked...
Calwaterbear
isn't there an alternative replacement part, used on later VW engines? seems to me i saw Edd China replace the bellows with some newer version on the Wheeler Dealers 914 episode?
iankarr
Knowing Edd, he probably hand-carved a mold and smelted the metal for one wink.gif
pete000
I got mine from the Awesome Powder coat guy years ago works great. Found them listed on The Samba site. Lots of bus guys need these too.
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jun 17 2017, 07:18 AM) *

Knowing Edd, he probably hand-carved a mold and smelted the metal for one wink.gif

Just rewatched the wheeler Dealer episode with the 914.
Ed replaced the bellows with a standard VW part that does the same thing, but more of a thermostat style, with it being wrapped in an external spring, no bellows.
bolt in replacement.
Dave_Darling
IIRC, the external-spring type opens at a different temperature than ours does.

--DD
flat4guy
TheWD episode was on last night, he made that 914 look very nice.
boxsterfan
Intense!!!
porschetub
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jun 18 2017, 01:59 AM) *

I had one of the Awesome Powdercoat bellows on my 73. Great that someone's making them. The one here on my 74 is original. Found it on evilbay. When I saw the dents and flat spots I doubted it worked...

Interesting,I really thought the damage would have stopped it working....and away it went,what really stops them working ?..I'am guessing the brass getting metal fatigue or "work hardening" stops them expanding eh.
Read about the wax cartridge ones for sale on the samba.com not good news as they stay closed when they fail, anyone tried one appears they don't last long ???.
Perhaps people more clever than me could design a modern solution.
RenoRoger
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 11 2017, 09:13 PM) *

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jun 18 2017, 01:59 AM) *

Interesting,I really thought the damage would have stopped it working....and away it went,what really stops them working ?..I'am guessing the brass getting metal fatigue or "work hardening" stops them expanding eh.
Read about the wax cartridge ones for sale on the samba.com not good news as they stay closed when they fail, anyone tried one appears they don't last long ???.
Perhaps people more clever than me could design a modern solution.

How about a manual set up like an old fashioned manual choke? You pull the flapper shut when the engine is cold and open it when it is warm and if you forget, you cook the engine.
Porschef
Nice vid Ian, and yeah, the Awesome Powdercoat units are just that. Have had mine on the car for over 3 years, works great. IIRC, the VW units fail closed, while the bellows type fails open.
Kansas 914
Here is a video I did last year from another angle - shows the flaps in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpTWUNm1Qn8
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jul 12 2017, 07:18 AM) *

Here is a video I did last year from another angle - shows the flaps in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpTWUNm1Qn8

Thank you for those videos, especially the last one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.