Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Short Shifter Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
edge540
I have a question just our of curiosity.
Does anyone know what type short shifter is pictured? The spacer plate is from Weltmeister but i don't see the linkage on their website. The shift console does not come off without removing either the vertical or horizontal bolt.
thanks
Eric

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
porschetub
I seem to remember this kit consisted of the alloy spacer plate ,a lever with repositioned cone and longer bolts.
I have used short shift kits on Type 1 shifters to good result,however many comment these don't do the shifting in a 914/911 any favours.
Always remove your horizontal bolt to remove your shifter,leave the vertical bolt alone otherwise you have the mind numbing job of readjusting your shifter...not fun.
Not sure what you mean by linkage ?
maf914
As you said, it looks like the Weltmeister kit for 73-76 914s. It appears the kit consists of the spacer plate to raise the shift pivot point and a replacement shift lever with a longer section below the shift pivot to alter the geometry.

http://www.weltmeister.com/ProductDetails5...l?productID=412

http://www.paragon-products.com/product-p/welt_ss-9001.htm

edge540
Makes complete sense now. Its the Weltmeister. For some reason i thought the bottom of the shift lever had a ball and socket setup but now i see that was for 70-72 and the 73-76 has the fork type setup.
Thanks for clarification!
Eric

PS, I bought the car with this installed. If i wanted to go back to stock its just replacing the gear shift lever and removing the spacer?
Montreal914
QUOTE(edge540 @ Jun 17 2017, 02:36 PM) *

Makes complete sense now. Its the Weltmeister. For some reason i thought the bottom of the shift lever had a ball and socket setup but now i see that was for 70-72 and the 73-76 has the fork type setup.
Thanks for clarification!
Eric

PS, I bought the car with this installed. If i wanted to go back to stock its just replacing the gear shift lever and removing the spacer?

Yes, get a stock shifter and remove the plate. You will need three shorter 8mm screws because the ones in the kit are longer to reach the tunnel with that spacer.

I did the same when I bought my car 8 years ago. Make sure you have fresh bushings everywhere in your linkage and you will appreciate the shifting.

Oh, yes you are aware that there 2 versions of the shifter. The lower part is different on the 72 and earlier cars but it's obvious.

Good luck.
GregAmy
If someone is looking for a slight "short shifter" the most-excellent Tangerine "precision shifter adjuster" comes with two holes on the yoke. I installed mine at the track last weekend and used the upper hole, works nicely, and makes adjustments a snap.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm

The track car got the full Tangerine treatment: firewall shift rod bearing, shifter adjuster, shift linkage kit. Really much better feel and precision versus the street car with its new bushings all around. I'd recommend that full treatment to anyone, especially if you want to keep the look of the stock shifter.
edge540
So after using the short shift for a while, I've decided i don't care for it and would like to go back to a stock setup. removing the Weltmeister plate is no biggie but the lever is longer.

Is there someplace which sells the stock lever or is the junk yard the only place?
Thanks
Dave_Darling
JY, or classifieds here, or Bruce Stone, or one of our other members who has a stash.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.