Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 2.0 PMB Brake overhaul
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dgrooover
The project begins....taking it apart and sending the calipers in to PMB PreformanceClick to view attachment
dgrooover
Rear after disassembly
dgrooover
Boxing up calipersClick to view attachment
ConeDodger
Nice! Congratulations again. While you're having him do that, you should have him "load" the calipers with Porterfield R4S pads. A good street/AutoX pad. Might even replace your rotors and wheel bearings as long as you're up on the jack stands... evilgrin.gif
arne
Don't forget to remove the bleeder screws before shipping. If one breaks off in transit it is something like $80 to get it out!
jimkelly
bench bleed master, what ever this means, as after tons of bleeding, my brakes still suck. seems my master has air in it I assume.
dgrooover
Time for new ball joints....
dgrooover
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 17 2017, 03:13 PM) *

Nice! Congratulations again. While you're having him do that, you should have him "load" the calipers with Porterfield R4S pads. A good street/AutoX pad. Might even replace your rotors and wheel bearings as long as you're up on the jack stands... evilgrin.gif

Have new rotors, bearings, pads, flexible brake lines and buying a new master cylinder juts to do it right...!
dgrooover
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 17 2017, 03:13 PM) *

Gonna do all that plus the master cylinder...!
dgrooover
QUOTE(arne @ Jun 17 2017, 04:36 PM) *

Don't forget to remove the bleeder screws before shipping. If one breaks off in transit it is something like $80 to get it out!

Did that, but one of the bleeders broke off, damaged yours ago, gonna have to pay the $80
North Coast Jim
and don't forget the brake balance cylinder of what ever it's called. They do that rebuild as well. I had PMB do my entire system. Stops on a dime even while in a tight high speed turn.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Jun 18 2017, 07:08 AM) *

and don't forget the brake balance cylinder of what ever it's called. They do that rebuild as well.

agree.gif

http://www.pmbperformance.com/914-brakes/E..._Regulator.html
gandalf_025
Before and after shot of my rear calipers..
Really amazing..

.Click to view attachment
LowBridge
what PMB does to your calipers almost makes it a crime to put them back on... work of art
dgrooover
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jun 18 2017, 05:16 PM) *

QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Jun 18 2017, 07:08 AM) *

and don't forget the brake balance cylinder of what ever it's called. They do that rebuild as well.

agree.gif

http://www.pmbperformance.com/914-brakes/E..._Regulator.html

Thanks for reminding me Kansas
dgrooover
New ball joints and a little cleanup of the old parts....!
dgrooover
PMB got the calipers yesterday, meanwhile the work continues.
dgrooover
Front rotors on today....the saga continues!
dgrooover
Still no word from PMB Performance, 2 weeks now. Anticipation is making me wait...!Click to view attachment
pete-stevers
Eric's work is always great to see! He has been doing a bang up job for yrs.
EdwardBlume
Nice job! aktion035.gif
dgrooover
Click to view attachment
Eric sent me tracking numbers, calipers are on their way with porterfield pads and hopefully some new hard lines. Had to dress up the wheels to match the rest of the work....!
ConeDodger
Not bad for a 5 deck full house! evilgrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(dgrooover @ Jul 8 2017, 03:38 PM) *

Eric sent me tracking numbers, calipers are on their way with porterfield pads and hopefully some new hard lines. Had to dress up the wheels to match the rest of the work....!

Wheels look awesome. I'm sure the brakes will too.
IronHillRestorations
I love fully polished 2.0 Fuchs!
dgrooover
Click to view attachment
Front Calipers arrived today with Porterfield Pads......Yes
dgrooover
Click to view attachment
Front caliper partially installed......new steel line on their way from PMB. Getting closer to Finish line!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(dgrooover @ Jul 12 2017, 02:34 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Front caliper partially installed......new steel line on their way from PMB. Getting closer to Finnish line!

The Finnish are really sensitive about that whole Finnish line thing... av-943.gif lol-2.gif
dgrooover
Click to view attachment

Rear calipers arrived today.....
dgrooover
Click to view attachment
Fronts are in with Porterfield pads and new lines....!
solex
Looks fantastic, I had my rear calipers done by Eric years ago and they still look and work great.
dgrooover
Click to view attachment
Rear calipers installed and adjusted, Let the bleeding begin....!
dgrooover
Don't know why my pictures are getting twisted. Any ideas?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(dgrooover @ Jul 17 2017, 05:07 PM) *

IPhone?

Shutter button must be to the right when the camera phone is in landscape.
dgrooover
Click to view attachment
Took her out to break in the pads.....front brakes working great....rears not so well. Can feel the air bubbles in the pedal....bleeding continues...any tips would be appreciated..!
dgrooover
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 17 2017, 06:01 PM) *

QUOTE(dgrooover @ Jul 17 2017, 05:07 PM) *

IPhone?

Shutter button must be to the right when the camera phone is in landscape.

Thanks....will remember that.
dgrooover
Thanks so much to Andrew and Andy at 914world.com for the wonderful time in Mammoth and for the great prizes...PMB Performance Brake rebuild...Eric at PMB did an amazing job on the calipers. Went ahead with new rotors and Porterfield pads, bearings, brake lines and ball joints, and had the wheels polished just to top it off. Broke in the pads now still trying to get all the air out of the system, pedal still a little spongy, will get it. Truly a great time going with Mike and Leamon and meeting new friends and seeing the sights of the eastern Sierra from the drivers seat of a 914........cant wait for next West Coast Ramble....!!!!!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(dgrooover @ Jul 18 2017, 12:29 AM) *

Click to view attachment
Took her out to break in the pads.....front brakes working great....rears not so well. Can feel the air bubbles in the pedal....bleeding continues...any tips would be appreciated..!

Stomp stomp stomp! I think the two person old fashioned method works best with our brakes. Bleed bleed bleed!
dgrooover
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 22 2017, 04:17 PM) *

QUOTE(dgrooover @ Jul 18 2017, 12:29 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Stomp stomp stomp! I think the two person old fashioned method works best with our brakes. Bleed bleed bleed!

After the 2 person Bleed, Bleed, Bleed. I did a gravity bleed and it made a big difference. will drive it a couple more times and gravity bleed it again.....got the proceedure from PMB web page.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.