Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metal Shaping/Dent Repair Workshop in the Bay Area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
John Kelly
I'm returning Felix's 914 to him in San Jose...seems like a good time to do a workshop...

Tentatively ...I will be putting on a metal shaping and dent repair workshop in San Jose/Bay area on sunday the 12th of June. The plan is to start at 9 am and go for 6-8 hours. This will be a loosely organized event.

No shop has been selected for this yet. I’m interested in any shops or personal garages that someone might have available in the area. We will be making some noise and will need plenty of parking space. This is short notice, so even a small shop might be adequate. I would like to have about 10-20 people attend.

Demonstration of stretching, shrinking, and smoothing sheet metal using simple hand tools.

Mallet and shotbag for stretching, hammers and dollies for smoothing, tuck formers for shrinking with a steel hammer.

Discussion on making a motorcycle fender, fender flares, making curved flanges, dent repair and using a shrinking disc for metal finishing.....I will add to this as I think of things that might be of interest.

This will be for novice to intermediate skill levels. I’m still in the planning stages...any feedback appreciated. I may have a video demonstration as well.....not sure yet.

If someone in the area has an english wheel they can bring that would be great. Eye and ear protection required! Please contact me as soon as you can to sign up. Payment in advance is required. First come, first served. I accept paypal or your check. The fee is $75. It is refundable if the workshop does not take place. $50 of the fee is refundable to folks who are unable to attend after paying.

Attend at your own risk! Neither myself nor the shop owner will be liable for your safety.

Thanks, John www.ghiaspecialties.com ghiafab@msn.com
grantsfo
I'll donate my car if you need one to hammer on! Big dent in the side panel and I could use some wider fenders. biggrin.gif
anthony
I'm in! Sounds like a great opportunity.
jonwatts
I'm there, just let us know when you need funds by.

very cool.

Mueller
I'm in smash.gif
kenschipper
I'll be by.

Ken Schipper
John Kelly
That's great, guys! Just send me payment through paypal: ghiafab@msn.com Please include your full name and 914club user name so I don't get confused (it's happened before). Or, to send a check, email me for my address. Your email or paypal payment is your confirmation for a spot.

Tony Colicchio of TC Design (www.tcdesignfab.com) has generously made his shop available for up to thirty people. I prefer a smaller group, but no one will be turned away unless it goes above thirty.

Thanks, John www.ghiaspecialties.com
lapuwali
I'll be there, ear defenders in hand...
Borderline
Count me in! Milpitas is jsut down the street. cool. I will try my luck with paypal...but may have to send you a check.
neo914-6
Don't miss this one, it's a one-time appearance in the Bay Area. Guys this is a SMOKING deal! smilie_pokal.gif John must have made the "frugal 914 owner" adjustment... laugh.gif
For comparison, Ron Covel charges $190/day and he's NOT a 914 enthusiast.
Carrera916
Wow! That's great! smilie_pokal.gif

Hey, I might be able to ask the school that I work for to allow me have a "class" at my auto body shop in Fremont area.

Would that be good? I mean I don't want to waste my time trying to secure a shop if someone would prefer another place....

It's a four bay shop, with auto body tools...yes, got punch bag and some tools you can use....just an idea...let me know this weekend and I will talk to my supervisor about this on Monday...

Man, I can't hardly wait.... clap.gif

Carrera916
Oh....

got a donated 914 here with four goooood corners.... ohmy.gif

of course, I'd like to do mine, too.... happy11.gif

others can do theirs..... aktion035.gif

boy, that's gonna be some noises....far louder than the Stomps! ar15.gif

skline
Hey John, any chance you will be down in the So Cal area?? You can use my garage and I am sure you will get a lot of people to come not only to meet you, but to learn how you do what you do. We are only about 6 hours or so farther south. biggrin.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (skline @ May 13 2005, 01:50 PM)
Hey John, any chance you will be down in the So Cal area?? You can use my garage and I am sure you will get a lot of people to come not only to meet you, but to learn how you do what you do. We are only about 6 hours or so farther south. biggrin.gif

He only likes Nor Cal. laugh.gif hide.gif

Fly him down for a workshop. Get him on the workshop circuit!
rjkavanagh
I'd love to join. Paypal on the way.
-Rob
John Kelly
Sorry Scott, I don't think I will have the extra time to do another one. Thanks for asking though! Might do it again next year if there is enough interest.

Jerry, I answered your PM. Good to know we have a backup shop just in case.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
jonwatts
My nephew's baptism is that weekend, but that didn't stop me from signing up biggrin.gif
I'm sure they can get by without me for 8 hours.

Now that my spot is reserved we can give this sucker a icon_bump.gif
McMark
It's got to be the one weekend I'm booked. sad.gif I'm so bummed I have to miss this.
redshift
QUOTE (Neo914 @ May 13 2005, 05:44 PM)

Wow!~ Yeah, but he's GOOD!

wink.gif

Just screwing with you, Jedi metal man.

M
redshift
QUOTE (Neo914 @ May 13 2005, 05:57 PM)
Get him on the workshop circuit!

Hey, that is a great idea... John, you need to be 'as seen on tv'..

M
John Kelly
Hi Mark,

I'm sorry it did not work out for your schedule. If you are ever in Seattle, look me up.

M, Ron Covell is not just good , he's excellent. He has given me some good advice, and helped promote my shrinking disc, and video. Super talented nice guy. Someday maybe I'll make the big bucks...not likely though...fecking 914, and VW crowd...cheap...er, I mean frugal like me.

To be on TV, don't you have to treat someone like garbage, have phony deadlines, and have a huge crew? I don't think I can do that. Got no tattos either...shit, I'll never make it....I don't even have a plasma cutter. I won't be telling my wife about the jedi metal man comment...I'd never hear the end of it (insert smily emoticon)

Thanks, John www.ghiaspecialties.om
Bleyseng
here's a shot of what you are in for with John!
John Kelly
Chris was working hard!

Anyone who has not emailed me to say a check is on the way, or used paypal already, please do so. We are filling up.

Thanks, John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Mueller
QUOTE (Neo914 @ May 13 2005, 02:44 PM)
Don't miss this one, it's a one-time appearance in the Bay Area. Guys this is a SMOKING deal! smilie_pokal.gif John must have made the "frugal 914 owner" adjustment... laugh.gif

The "Tinman", AKA Kent White charges $295 per day (4 days for the hardcore fab'r)

just sent you my payment for the class....

neo914-6
Paypal sent...
smash.gif

John,
How about planning a dinner afterwards to let people not doing the workshop meet with you? Participants will be all tired of listening to you by then. laugh.gif We could order pizza if Tony is up for it. I work near his shop and haven't even visited it yet... screwy.gif
Brad Roberts
Doh!!

I wont make this one. I can however offer up Yeaman Autobody in Palo Alto if the other spaces fall through for any reason. Scott the owner has done a few "race car" fiberglass repair seminars in the past and obviously has a body shop with everything you could want/need.

B
ThinAir
QUOTE (John Kelly @ May 13 2005, 03:23 PM)
Might do it again next year if there is enough interest.

I got John's DVD on fender flares and after seeing the miracles that he does, I really wish I could make it over for this to see it in person. If you ever do one again I'd like to know because it would sure be worth the plane fare to participate.
John Kelly
Hi Felix,

I will be burned out from the travel, work, and loading of stuff...but if someone wants to organize a dinner, I can always eat!

Brad,

It is great to have a backup shop just in case something comes up. I appreciate it. If you can make it even for a short while, no charge to you.

Ernie,

Thanks, we'll swing by and pick you up...if you dont mind being strapped in Felix's car inside the stepvan without air-conditioning...never mind. I appreciate the kind words!

neo914-6
John,

Paypal will be sent for Andrew, another protege. biggrin.gif

Unfortunately he won't be able to make it Sat. After your workshop we should know what to do with his fenders...
sj914
Ya got room for one more(me)?
John Kelly
Hi Remil,

There is still room. You can paypal or send a check. Just let me know: ghiafab@msn.com

It looks like we will have an English Wheel for the workshop...I'm throwing one together right now.

sj914
John,
Thanks. Paypal sent
John Kelly
Here is the English Wheel I built to bring to the workshop....

Mueller
nice...will you be selling it to make your load lighter going home??

how about a raffle???

biggrin.gif
jonwatts
Or how about just a parts list?

I know this topic has come up on the metalshapers forum but I haven't been following that for a while now.

I'm getting so excited about this workshop I can't wait boldblue.gif

MecGen
Hi Guys
Take it from a guy thats in the trade...go.
This is a good oppertunity to watch an experienced hand.
The fact thet you can make it a gettogetther, even better.
I often pay 500$ to watch a guy read a book...
Gonna go to the East Coast ?
Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
John Kelly
Nice try Mike! I'm hoping to do more workshops in the future though, and will need this. You'll get to play with it.

Jon, Lots of scrap, the worm gear actuator is from Boeing surplus the upper wheel is from Kerry at www.wheelingmachines.com the lower anvil is from my other e-wheel...got that from www.metalcrafttools.com

Thanks, John www.ghiapecialties.com
neo914-6
Unofficial Headcount: smilie_pokal.gif
1. Grant
2. Anthony S
3. Jon W
4. Mike M
5. Ken S
6. James M
7. "Borderline"?
8. Jerry M
9. Felix P
10. Andrew D
11. Rob
12. Remil N
Mueller
Anything we should know about before hand or bring???

I take it no open toe shoes, what about eye protection??

jonwatts
Eye protection was listed in an earlier part of the thread. You probably didn't see it because you don't wear eye protection.

Ear protection was also mentioned, SO MAKE SURE YOU BRING EAR PROTECTION, (sorry to yell).

I'll bring my 7 pc Harbor Freight body panel tool kit so John can tell me why it sucks.

neo914-6
QUOTE (jonwatts @ May 27 2005, 12:27 PM)

I'll bring my 7 pc Harbor Freight body panel tool kit so John can tell me why it sucks.

details on the HF tools?
Otmar
Paypal sent!
Looking forward to it.
neo914-6
John,

We gonna get fancy certificates? biggrin.gif

neo914-6
icon_bump.gif for Kevin and others...
jonwatts
Oops, just saw the bump.

Harbor Freight 7 piece body hammer kit

neo914-6
There is still room, I think...

smash.gif
John Kelly
Yes, we are sitting at 15 or 16 people. We can handle a few more...

dan10101
John,
I'm in. I can't let Andrew have all the fun. biggrin.gif

My body could never do what he does, but I know I could learn something from this.

Dan
John Kelly
Great to have you aboard Dan! We're just leaving now so we can take a leisurly pace. The gearing of the stepvan beast is pretty low.

neo914-6
Directions to 1747 Houret Ct, Milpitas, CA 95035-6823 :
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.