Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystery holes in passenger floor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doug_b_928
I have a couple of mystery holes in the passenger floor shown below. I'm sure they're for something, but I don't recall removing anything that attached there. What are they for?

Click to view attachment
Garland
Cant recall the reason there, there. But two rubber plugs belong there.
doug_b_928
Interesting, thanks. I wonder if Mark has them.... If anyone has a pic of what they should look like please post them. Thanks!
Krieger
You could use a little seam sealer.
doug_b_928
True.
gms
I would weld them up they are not needed
doug_b_928
Yeah, I wondered about that too. I'm a bit of a stickler for originality, but this will never be a concourse car.
rgalla9146
They let the water out.
doug_b_928
Interesting. I think they were covered in tar. I guess they were thinking the water would still find its way to the holes under the tar and drain out...
euro911
I wonder if the same type of rubber drain nipples they use in the front trunk were originally installed there? 914rubber sells repros cool_shades.gif
doug_b_928
Hmmmmm.....Also makes me wonder why they didn't have drain holes on the driver's side (at least I don't recall seeing any). Maybe they figured water would run down the pedal cluster bolts (and sit in the pedal support bracket and rust it away).
rgalla9146
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 18 2017, 11:53 AM) *

They let the water out.

Hold on a second.
I don't mean to say the holes are original.....they're not.
But.... people have been known to put holes in wet cars to allow the water to drain.
It is a strategy . Or a tragedy.
Mikey914
Put a set of front trunk drain tubes in there. They will keep the water from splashing in. biggrin.gif

http://shop.914rubber.com/Front-Trunk-Drai...m?categoryId=-1
doug_b_928
[/quote]
Hold on a second.
I don't mean to say the holes are original.....they're not.
But.... people have been known to put holes in wet cars to allow the water to drain.
It is a strategy . Or a tragedy.
[/quote]

That's actually a bit surprising. The holes appear to be the same vintage as the other untouched parts of the car, the factory tar with original paint was covering them, and they don't look like they were drilled after the fact (no burring). Are we sure that these aren't factory? If they're not supposed to be there I'll weld them up for sure, but they really do look original.
euro911
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 18 2017, 05:18 PM) *
Put a set of front trunk drain tubes in there. They will keep the water from splashing in. biggrin.gif

http://shop.914rubber.com/Front-Trunk-Drai...m?categoryId=-1
See post #10 Mark slap.gif

poke.gif
Garland
The holes are original, and use the flat rubber plug. The Plugs are covered by floor tar.

Click to view attachment
doug_b_928
Great, thanks very much for providing the photo of what it should look like. Yours look new. Did you use one of Mike's plugs from somewhere else, make them,...?

Your picture solves another mystery about which I forgot to ask. The hole that appears to have been pried open (circled in your pic below)... my car looks exactly the same. I had planned to hammer and dolly that back to flat, but now it appears to be original (one less thing to do). Is that hole for drainage?

Click to view attachment
mepstein
I'm pretty sure the red circled hole is for drainage in the gas tank area.
doug_b_928
Makes sense. Looks to have been a bit of an after thought on Karmann's part.
rgalla9146
What year is the car ?
If they are original I'd guess they would be on a '75 or '76
Something to do with the EGR counter ?
I just saw that the '75 in my garage has one of them.
The one closer to the wheelhouse.
My '70 has none.
Am I half right ?
doug_b_928
doug_b_928
I actually just discovered that there are 4 plugs that look the same as those pictured above in the bottom of the Frunk (I couldn't see them from above because they had been painted over). There were two empty holes in the middle of the frunk floor. Is that where the two drain tubes that Mark makes go?
Rand
Does anyone really think about water drain? Like what, if your girlfriend spills a drink? (happened in my 510) This is ridiculous. Shop vac out that one non likely incident. The real concern is the rust potential that can work its way in backwards. Weld it and paint it.
doug_b_928
Point well taken, but his car won't see drinks nor wet feet in my lifetime, so I'd prefer to keep it as original as possible.
euro911
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Jun 21 2017, 03:39 PM) *
I actually just discovered that there are 4 plugs that look the same as those pictured above in the bottom of the Frunk (I couldn't see them from above because they had been painted over). There were two empty holes in the middle of the frunk floor. Is that where the two drain tubes that Mark makes go?
Yes
doug_b_928
Excellent, thanks.
rgalla9146
Uncle
Matty900
You could use stoppers or drain tubes.
Matty900
The previous owner of my car drilled 2 holes behind the seats to drain water but I had them welded up.
doug_b_928
Great pics! I'm missing one of the stoppers and both tubes. The little plugs that you have in your frunk (4 of them between the stoppers and tubes) look to be what should be in the passenger floor as well. Stoppers would certainly do the trick if the holes are the same size.
Matty900
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Jun 21 2017, 09:02 PM) *

Great pics! I'm missing one of the stoppers and both tubes. The little plugs that you have in your frunk (4 of them between the stoppers and tubes) look to be what should be in the passenger floor as well. Stoppers would certainly do the trick if the holes are the same size.

These? That's one we don't make yet but seem pretty important for keeping your trunk dry. (And possibly to plug previous owners "fix")
doug_b_928
Yep, those are the ones I was referring to and they look like the ones that 'Garland' posted. I measured the holes as follows:

Stoppers: 9.0-9.5 mm
Drain tubes: 9.5mm
passenger floor: 8mm
4 plugs in frunk: 7.0-7.5mm

The holes for the 4 plugs in the frunk are .5mm smaller than the ones in the passenger floor, but I'd think the design of them would mean that the same plugs should work fine in the passenger floor.

Mark/Matt, if you decide to make the plugs they'd be a great addition to your 'ultimate restoration kit'.
gms
My friend had his unrestored 1973 with only 20 some thousand miles on it on a rack and I got a picture of the plug
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.