Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 muffler advice, need a short term muffler.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
I have other plans for a muffler, but that will take time so I'm looking for a one season solution.

I have a rough banana, seems solid enough but the inlets need to be welded up.

2nd is a stainless steel very amateur build muffler, supposedly for a /6, but no way in hell is it going to fit my MSDS headers.
Lots of good bits, but it would need to be all cut up and re-welded and I bet I'll be short a few radius's.

Other than time which I short of, no problem TIG-ing it up.

Very healthy 3.0, webers, cams, hot street engine.

What one would you go with?
euro911
How about this, Mark confused24.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=311871
Mark Henry
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 18 2017, 02:36 PM) *

Shipping/border would likely kill the deal...and you know... I'm cheap biggrin.gif
MJHanna
cut the banana open and make it into a sport muffler.
euro911
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 18 2017, 11:41 AM) *
Shipping/border would likely kill the deal...and you know... I'm cheap biggrin.gif
Just curious ... how does it work if someone drives a part (or parts) across the border (in their luggage) wink.gif
IronHillRestorations
Use the banana as is
Larmo63
agree.gif

Except, fix it until you can source the right thing. And quit being such a CASOB.
Montreal914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 18 2017, 12:51 PM) *

Just curious ... how does it work if someone drives a part (or parts) across the border (in their luggage) wink.gif

They will ask if you have anything to declare and this is where you should say yes and declare its value. You will be charged fees based on the value. This is what people should be doing... unsure.gif

Not cheap, frugal biggrin.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jun 18 2017, 06:00 PM) *
They will ask if you have anything to declare and this is where you should say yes and declare its value. You will be charged fees based on the value. This is what people should be doing... unsure.gif

Who gets to assess the value?
Montreal914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 18 2017, 07:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jun 18 2017, 06:00 PM) *

Who gets to assess the value?

Good question... For an individual, just the fact that you would be declaring a used muffler rolleyes.gif would already show signs of good honest manner. They may just let you through.

I would say $50, pay the fee (probably less than $10) and go on. The hassle is more to go inside and do the paperwork... As with every customs, it depends on the officer and the attitude...

You can also bring gifts but they recommend not to wrap them because they will want to see it. Then there shouldn't be any fees. I'm no expert, just things I have experienced.
mb911
I will be launching a prototype shortly. You maybe a perfect candidate for it?
worn
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 18 2017, 10:31 AM) *

I have other plans for a muffler, but that will take time so I'm looking for a one season solution.

I have a rough banana, seems solid enough but the inlets need to be welded up.

2nd is a stainless steel very amateur build muffler, supposedly for a /6, but no way in hell is it going to fit my MSDS headers.
Lots of good bits, but it would need to be all cut up and re-welded and I bet I'll be short a few radius's.

Other than time which I short of, no problem TIG-ing it up.

Very healthy 3.0, webers, cams, hot street engine.

What one would you go with?

Well, for my 3.2 I converted the 911 muffler that came with the motor into a two in on out that looks like yours. Mig instead of tig and I hope to one day change but I also fly the cheap sob banner. Go for what drives.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 19 2017, 07:59 AM) *

I will be launching a prototype shortly. You maybe a perfect candidate for it?

Interested biggrin.gif

Looked at the banana, it's fugly, but it only needs a patch around one inlet.
Other than that it's solid.
Would definitely be the fastest short term solution.
Mark Henry
Well I got bad banana welded up and on, not happy, bet it will kill my flow, but it should work as a short term solution till I get something better.
mb911
Banana s are pretty decent flow wise.. You maybe suprised.
porschetub
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 22 2017, 05:14 AM) *

Banana s are pretty decent flow wise.. You maybe suprised.

agree.gif my research indicated that,apparently they are a very good mix of performance and noise output,I bought mine as an extra from the PO along with the custom headers he had built,he offered me a muffler converted to dual centre outlet but warned me about the noise...I passed.
I'am happy enough with my stocker,man they are heavy though....no way around that.
Justinp71
I did a Magnaflow, it was suggested by Knight Racing. Has a little drone, but sounds amazing. Might not be the best if your going to do alot of freeway, but its one of the best for performance. I think all in this was around $300 with a muffler shop doing the work.

This isn't my car, but I have the same setup. This guy had 253hp to the wheels from a 3.2 with 46mm pmo's and DC40 cams.
euro911
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 21 2017, 10:10 AM) *
Well I got bad banana welded up and on, not happy, bet it will kill my flow, but it should work as a short term solution till I get something better.
Well ... have you tried it out yet? confused24.gif

For years, Joe Sharp kept telling me that the bananas were a very well engineered muffler, both the 911 and 914(4) types, and that I should source one for my 914. I'm quite happy with the one I got from Glenn Sager several years ago - quieter than the Triad I had on there, but it provided me with a touch of back-pressure that I needed too.

Talking about ugly bananas ... how's this? laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.