Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saying hello
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mxkinn01
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Mike from Las Vegas.
Just picked up a 73 1.7 Zambezi green 914. I'll be reading this forum as much as I can and I'm sure asking advice from my fellow teeners.
Hello to all.
Click to view attachment
mepstein
welcome.png
Great looking car but I thought green was reserved for Pennsylvania. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
welcome.png bye1.gif
iankarr
welcome.png

and welcome to the addiction.
Shadowfax
welcome.png
Car looks in great shape.
SO.O.C914er
Welcome to the mid-engine madness! welcome.png
mxkinn01
Thanks folks.
It had one respray about ten years ago and the rest is 100% unrestored original, still has most of the factory paint in the hell hole area. First thing to do is lower the front end. Oh wait, make that fix passenger outside door handle, hopefully its just the Door Cam Actuator. The interior is in need of some help. Also just notice the rear driver (not sure what its called) latch block that is attached to the targa roof is also missing, that might be tough to find.
914-300Hemi
welcome.png
914_7T3
Great looking car & welcome.png
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mxkinn01 @ Jun 18 2017, 09:03 PM) *

Thanks folks.
It had one respray about ten years ago and the rest is 100% unrestored original, still has most of the factory paint in the hell hole area. First thing to do is lower the front end. Oh wait, make that fix passenger outside door handle, hopefully its just the Door Cam Actuator. The interior is in need of some help. Also just notice the rear driver (not sure what its called) latch block that is attached to the targa roof is also missing, that might be tough to find.

Contact Bruce Stone about your missing part...
Frankvw
Great color and 73 is a nice year.
so, still the original injection on the 1.7 engine ?
Have fun with the car !
tygaboy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 18 2017, 09:51 PM) *

QUOTE(mxkinn01 @ Jun 18 2017, 09:03 PM) *

Thanks folks.

Contact Bruce Stone about your missing part...

welcome.png GREAT looking car! LOVE the wheels...
And if Bruce can't help you w/the part, I may be able to. Let me know.
Chris
mxkinn01
Looks pretty original to me. Has an oil leak that is dripping onto the exhaust (it smells great after I drive it) and leaves drips on the garage floor, I'll have to climb under and take a look.

Pretty sure this is not factory, looks a home depot fix, lol. Do you guys know if this is still made and where to get it?Click to view attachment
mxkinn01
Shifting is also a chore. Time to get new bushings and adjustments.
green914
welcome.png
Dion
welcome.png Sometimes I get nostalgic about my 1.7. They look so good to me now.
Without modifying them. Good looking car. Agree with Chris, like the wheels.
Many good miles wished for ya! You'll learn a lot here.
Cheers, Dion
napasteve
Welcome to the World.

Love the color and, as Chris and Dion mentioned, the wheels are really cool. Somehow those wheels connect back to an earlier VW Karmann Ghia/Porsche look from the sixties.
Rocky
Real nice car!

welcome.png
second wind
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jun 18 2017, 04:13 PM) *

welcome.png

Addiction? You almost make it sound like a bad thing. Just because I have 20 or more yet to be installed parts purchased over the past nine years and work on my car most everyday and buy parts before food I wouldn't call it an addiction. It's my hobby. And since the car is 44 years old and will never really be "perfect" since I drive it so much and it deteriorates each mile I drive it and I will never ever be finished "working on it" and need to keep learning everything about it so I can continually "improve it" and eventually learn how to fix every single thing on it leading up to a 100% ground up rotisserie restoration which will no doubt cost more money than I have and take way longer than I have time for.....is that really the definition of an addiction? Well maybe.....but no one is making me do it. I like it. Same as drinking beer. I could stop anytime but then what would I do? Both with the car and the beer. Anyway....enjoy your new car and welcome to our "club".
gg
steuspeed
Spice up your interior. driving.gif

http://shop.914rubber.com/Plaid-Material-K...E-SEAT-PK-S.htm
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(mxkinn01 @ Jun 19 2017, 11:09 AM) *
Has an oil leak that is dripping onto the exhaust (it smells great after I drive it) and leaves drips on the garage floor, I'll have to climb under and take a look.

Good chance it's the valve cover gasket, or the pushrod tube seals. Both can be done with the engine in the car.

Pretty sure this is not factory, looks a home depot fix, lol. Do you guys know if this is still made and where to get it?

If you're talking the corrugated-hose-looking part, that does not look factory. It's a little tough to tell from the photo, but it looks like the Home Depot part now connects the air cleaner to the throttle body. Stock would be a formed rubber piece (that has fittings in it for at least one vacuum hose). It has been NLA for years--but the good news is that 914rubber is starting to make them!! Visit their website or ping Mikey on here to order one.

--DD
76-914
Welcome to the madness. The 1.7 is bullet proof and runs cooler. The ultimate momentum machine. welcome.png
mxkinn01
Pulled the passenger door handle off, of course its broken and actuator rod is bent and looks to be the wrong one. It appears someone has been in there playing around. Any suggestions on who makes a good replacement?
Click to view attachment
BENBRO02
Love that color!
steuspeed
smash.gif My doorhandle broke the day I bought my car too. This is very common. They are made of pot metal. A used replacement is what you need. Check ebay. $60-$100 is a good price. Passenger R side is easier to find. It's marked on the back. Look for both arms to be intact. Also the original white plastic actuator part is better than the black replacements imo. The cause is gummed up mechanism/latch. Once it gets stiff then the handle eventually breaks. Clean and lube, so your next handle won't die the same death. I used PB blaster on mine.
banananose914
QUOTE(second wind @ Jun 19 2017, 12:42 PM) *

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jun 18 2017, 04:13 PM) *

welcome.png

Addiction? You almost make it sound like a bad thing. Just because I have 20 or more yet to be installed parts purchased over the past nine years and work on my car most everyday and buy parts before food I wouldn't call it an addiction. It's my hobby. And since the car is 44 years old and will never really be "perfect" since I drive it so much and it deteriorates each mile I drive it and I will never ever be finished "working on it" and need to keep learning everything about it so I can continually "improve it" and eventually learn how to fix every single thing on it leading up to a 100% ground up rotisserie restoration which will no doubt cost more money than I have and take way longer than I have time for.....is that really the definition of an addiction? Well maybe.....but no one is making me do it. I like it. Same as drinking beer. I could stop anytime but then what would I do? Both with the car and the beer. Anyway....enjoy your new car and welcome to our "club".
gg

Very well stated! I like it!
mxkinn01
After further inspection.
It turns out someone swapped the outer door handles, after all they are marked R and L, lol. I'm surprised the passenger handle on the driver door still works, I never did try the lock though. I will swap it to the correct side today and make sure it works properly. The hunt has now moved to the driver side door handle.
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

You're discovering the joys of working on your car. Keep it up!
Dave_Darling
They work fine when swapped; the only real difference is the curve of the back part of the flapper. They are functionally identical.

--DD
mxkinn01
Friends. I need a little help with the 73 1.7.
Here is what I had on the car when purchased (not right I'm sure). Click to view attachment
Looks like someones hose clamp repair tweaked the lid. Is there supposed to something that connects the elbow to the air cleaner cover, am I missing a part?
Click to view attachment
mxkinn01
And it looks like the elbow is wasted now. Seems like there should be a flexable hose between them.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Hello
mxkinn01
After hunting around here and viewing pics of factory 1.7s, I see they just slide into each other. Just needed to loosen the bottom elbow clamp and adjust it until they slide into each other.
I will be getting a hold of 914 Rubber to order a new elbow, door handle and other misc stuff.
Thanks for everyone's responses.
bbrock
QUOTE(mxkinn01 @ Jun 22 2017, 02:50 PM) *

After hunting around here and viewing pics of factory 1.7s, I see they just slide into each other. Just needed to loosen the bottom elbow clamp and adjust it until they slide into each other.
I will be getting a hold of 914 Rubber to order a new elbow, door handle and other misc stuff.

You might be able to fix that booger on the air cleaner opening with the careful use of a heat gun and a wooden spatula or similar to work that crease back out to round. I've had good luck doing that with other plastic parts. But there is a fine line between getting the plastic soft enough to shape, and having a worthless pile of goo. So be careful if you attempt it! It's easiest if you can find a tapered cylinder of some sort the right size to slip in as the plastic softens. Clay flower pots work great for this. beerchug.gif
banananose914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 22 2017, 02:38 PM) *

QUOTE(mxkinn01 @ Jun 22 2017, 02:50 PM) *

You might be able to fix that booger on the air cleaner opening with the careful use of a heat gun and a wooden spatula or similar to work that crease back out to round. I've had good luck doing that with other plastic parts. But there is a fine line between getting the plastic soft enough to shape, and having a worthless pile of goo. So be careful if you attempt it! It's easiest if you can find a tapered cylinder of some sort the right size to slip in as the plastic softens. Clay flower pots work great for this. beerchug.gif

Wow! Who would have thought you could use a slinky on a 914. As a kid I used to just let them roll down the stairs. Who knew?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.