Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Lid Pops Open
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
I took my engine lid off to work on the car and bend the mounting tabs slightly to align the lid. Now reinstalled....the metal rod that latches on the lock/latch is barely long enough to engage.

Lid closes and locks but any little thing pops it open with the latch still closed. The engaging L shaped rod is not long enough.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is the solution putting washers under the lock to bring it away from the wall?
SirAndy
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jun 19 2017, 09:21 AM) *
I took my engine lid off to work on the car and bend the mounting tabs slightly to align the lid. Now reinstalled....the metal rod that latches on the lock/latch is barely long enough to engage.
Lid closes and locks but any little thing pops it open with the latch still closed. The engaging L shaped rod is not long enough.
Has anyone else had this problem? Is the solution putting washers under the lock to bring it away from the wall?

The L shaped piece is adjustable as is the locking part on the rear trunk.
shades.gif
914Sixer
Undo the nut and lengthen the rod.
GregAmy
I had the same problem; mine was that the part that goes into the latch wans't long enough.

I fixed it with a simple solution: take a longer correct-sized bolt (6mm threads I think?) with an unthreaded shank, cut off the hex head, use some light heat and bend in a vice to a 90-degree angle, and then trim and grind the ends off to desired length. Unthreaded part fits into the latch, of course.

No more popping out on hard bumps. Wife is no longer entertained.
toolguy
Shim the latch assembly out with a couple of washers and longer mounting bolts, but it sounds like your whole lid might be too far forward
jor
On my car, it was as simple as the "L" shaped piece coming loose over time. Just a slight turn of the piece to fit accurately into the latch, then tightening the nut that holds the "L" and it hasn't popped open since.
Dave_Darling
agree.gif That was the cause of mine! The L-shaped brackets on the firewall had cracked at the corner of the L, and were sagging. It was enough that the bolt didn't engage the latch that well.

Some welding and the brackets were fine. (Had a buddy reinforce them as well as repairing them.) No more engine lid popping open.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.