Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Perfect Dash Cam for our 914s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
After reading of Sir Andy's unfortunate traffic incident here, (glad you're Ok Andy), I thought some of my 914 collegues might be interested in this product. I have always wanted a dash cam for my 914, but did not like the idea of a suction cup device on the windshield that could easily be stolen when my roof is open, which is most of the time. I saw an ad on tv and ordered several of these HD Mirror Cams for my cars. Before I say anything else, you should know that I have no connection to this product in any way, other than as an end user. The HD camera is located under a rear view mirror that straps right over your existing mirror in your car. Other than the small rotatable camera under the new rear view mirror, you can not tell anything is on the car. The HD video starts automatically when you get in the car from motion detection. A small included SDHD card records a ten minute loop of HD video, day or night. There is an HDMI adaptor included to plug the SD card into your computer to view it. The HD Mirror cam connects via a long wire to the cigarette lighter to charge the camera battery. I hard wired my camera by running the wire under the windshield rubber and down to the relay board for power. (Note: If you do this, you must connect leads to the cigarette lighter fitting and not cut the fitting off. The plug-in fitting has an e-board inside it to convert the car's 12v to the right charging power for the HD Mirror.) And now for the best part. It's only $39.94 plus shipping at this website:
https://www.neweasy.com/product/hd-mirror-c...CFQxufgod2WUCug
Now I have the added protection of constant video without an ugly obvious device on my front window!
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Can it use larger SD cards for more storage?

I don't think 10 minutes is enough, i know i had a lot of stuff on my mind after the accident because i was bleeding like a pig and in pain.

There's no way i would have thought about turning off the camera within the first 10 minutes to avoid it overwriting the accident.
idea.gif
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 19 2017, 04:00 PM) *

Can it use larger SD cards for more storage?

I don't think 10 minutes is enough, i know i had a lot of stuff on my mind after the accident because i was bleeding like a pig and in pain.

There's no way i would have thought about turning off the camera within the first 10 minutes to avoid it overwriting the accident.
idea.gif

Is more storage capacity a function of the physical size of the SD card? If not, then you could put any memory size card in you want in the slot on top of the mirror. Just looked at their home site ad. It says "Records up to 14 hours", and "Memory cards up to 32 GB". Here's the home company site:
https://www.hdmirrorcam.com/?utm_source=Goo...CFQxufgod2WUCug
SirAndy
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jun 19 2017, 04:03 PM) *
Is more storage capacity a function of the physical size of the SD card? If not, then you could put any memory size card in you want in the slot on top of the mirror.

Yes. No. Depends.

There are different physical size SD cards. That camera probably uses MicroSDs.

MicroSD cards come in different logical sizes but are physically the same.
However, not every SD port can use all logical sizes.

The manual for the camera should tell you what the upper logical size is for the SD cards and how long you can record video for those different logical sizes.

Makes sense?
type.gif
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 19 2017, 04:07 PM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jun 19 2017, 04:03 PM) *
Is more storage capacity a function of the physical size of the SD card? If not, then you could put any memory size card in you want in the slot on top of the mirror.

Yes. No. Depends.

There are different physical size SD cards. That camera probably uses MicroSDs.

MicroSD cards come in different logical sizes but are physically the same.
However, not every SD port can use all logical sizes.

The manual for the camera should tell you what the upper logical size is for the SD cards and how long you can record video for those different logical sizes.

Makes sense?
type.gif

Take a look here Andy, should answer all your questions:
SirAndy
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jun 19 2017, 04:08 PM) *

MicroSD with a max of 32GB of storage

Now i need to find out how much video that translates to ...
type.gif
oakdalecurtis
Just as an aside, I mentioned to my wife that if she ever captured a video of an accident that occurs in front of her car, take out the SD card with the video, go over to the two parties involved, and "auction" off the video of the accident to the high bidder! Who would pay more for the video, the innocent party to prove innocence, or the guilty party to destroy the video?
piratenanner.gif
(Just kidding, for those of you that might miss the humor.)
76-914
I have one in my Van. Most come with front and rear capabilities, now. They don't require much storage because they run 10, 15, 20 & 30 minute loops. You choose the interval. They automatically freeze the loop and store it if your are in a wreck. Mine begins another loop immediately but preserves they wreck footage and footage leading up to it. About $190 on Amazon, IIRC. beerchug.gif
Chris914n6
I like the built in mirror, but specs are outdated and price is average.

The good ones have a shock sensor that saves the recording.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 19 2017, 08:11 PM) *

Wow, you can beat $40?
Andyrew
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 19 2017, 04:11 PM) *

type.gif

The one on my Fiesta has an 8gig internal drive and that translates to about 2 hours for me.

I paid about $100 2 years ago and its due for replacement.
LowBridge
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 19 2017, 07:11 PM) *

type.gif

I did not read the link but as a standard on today's video you are looking at about 15 minutes per GB with 720P/30ips using H.264 compression. this is a ballpark and would be impacted by a different compression rate, resolution and ips
ConeDodger
That one is good. But I suspect perfect would be a camera with a gForce switch that continuously records but only saves the prior minute and subsequent minute after a gForce event. I.e.: 1g in any direction sets off the camera.
They're out there. I'm looking at one right now.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 20 2017, 07:56 AM) *
1g in any direction sets off the camera

That wouldn't work while running an AX ...
biggrin.gif
Andyrew

That one is good. But I suspect perfect would be a camera with a gForce switch that continuously records but only saves the prior minute and subsequent minute after a gForce event. I.e.: 1g in any direction sets off the camera.
They're out there. I'm looking at one right now.

Mine was supposed to do it, but when I got rear ended it didnt capture it. Something corrupted... Good old chineese crap...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 20 2017, 01:45 PM) *

1g in any direction sets off the camera

That wouldn't work while running an AX ...
biggrin.gif

True but... blink.gif
ConeDodger
Mine is actually a service. DriveCam. At 2am it sends all events to my email.

Probably more money than most would spend. But my insurance is discounted! evilgrin.gif
Chris914n6
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jun 19 2017, 08:36 PM) *

Wow, you can beat $40?

$40?

Order Summary
Subtotal:
$49.94
+S/H:
$5.95
Tax:
$0.00
Order Total:
$55.89
Ships same or next day USPS.

The camera hanging down from it would be in my line of site anyways.
---
Popular cheap option, though not a mirror.

Currently $37, was down to $23. Last years model. 1080p.
Black Box Full HD Car DVR Capacitor Dash Camera 4X Zoom 120 Degree G1W

oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 20 2017, 12:51 PM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jun 19 2017, 08:36 PM) *

Wow, you can beat $40?

$40?

Order Summary
Subtotal:
$49.94
+S/H:
$5.95
Tax:
$0.00
Order Total:
$55.89
Ships same or next day USPS.

The camera hanging down from it would be in my line of site anyways.
---
Popular cheap option, though not a mirror.

Currently $37, was down to $23. Last years model. 1080p.
Black Box Full HD Car DVR Capacitor Dash Camera 4X Zoom 120 Degree G1W

My original resistance to a dash cam in my teener was the obviousness of the cam being stuck on my front window and the resulting high risk of quick grab theft. The mirror cam is almost undetectable to a casual observer. That's what caught my interest in that method.
Rand
But buying something integrated into a mirror isn't a way to solve that problem. Technology changes constantly. Use the best cam solutions and secure them / hide them when you need to. Using an integrated mirror product is instant obsolescence, and automatically junky in comparison, not to mention something you don't want to mess with on a 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.