Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint Repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
okay, i have a spot down to metal the size of a quarter on my rear quarterpanel(the car's not mine) how can i fix it...i'll take a pic tonite.
1bad914
The correct way would be to paint the quarter, the other way is to roll 2-3 coats of primer over the repair, yes they make primer rollers, make sure you feather the edges. Then wet sand the primer and check for flatness, if flat you tape a square/circle what ever design you want around the repair and roll the tape back, as in expose the sticky side to the repair. Spray base coat to cover repair, let dry, remove tape and check for hard edges, wet sand/blend any hard edges, then roll the tape again in a larger circle than the base coat, spray your clear coat 2-3 coats, let dry over night and remove tape, wet sand to blend clear and rub out to shine. Easy stuff! biggrin.gif

All of this is based on your paint being a good match, metllics are harder to blend , but can be done. What is the location on the quarter and what is the color? Also I'm leaving out some obvious prep steps, covering the rest of the car and so on...
bd1308
okay my brother backed his jeep into my car and popped off a part of the bondo(maybe) on the QP....well its prolly not bondo but its kinda deep and i need filler i guess to *TRY* to fix this...the body shop will fix it but for a fee.......

need to fill hole with bondo or filler
sand
wet sand
primer
paint
wet sand
paint
wet sant
CC

something like this?
1bad914
You can add filler to the steps I mentioned, just put it on the bare metal, roughen the bare metal up for better adhesion, sand flat and use the steps I mentioned, I would put multiple thin layers on to avoid future problems. It can be done, it just takes time. Then again I may be assuming that you have the gun and equipment.

roughen
fill
sand
sand some more biggrin.gif
primer
sand
paint base coat
wet sand edges if needed
cc
wet sand
rub
polish
SGB
Really, you should mask also for the wet sanding, since you will end up removing some original paint with the sanding of the raised edges of the new paint. Go ahead and protect that surface to reduce the area you need to sand/ polish/ blend. I have never been successful with a truely invisible line, but have gotten close, but I've also accidently dulled the paint WAY OUT from the original gore zone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.