Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kkid
Hey guys,

So my Creamsicle has finally seen a road after about 1.5 year of jack stands time. cheer.gif Now the speedo didn't work so I changed the cable.

I see other cars passing by like a rocket while going at 65pmh so the speedo needle is way off??? I will check this with a GPS today.

Anyways, the odometer is not working at all. This is a bigger problem. sad.gif

Has anyone encountered the same and succeeded to repair??? The speedo works(barely) but odo does not.

Let me know.

Thanks,

kkid smile.gif

23e Heure
QUOTE(kkid @ Jun 21 2017, 04:22 PM) *

Hey guys,

So my Creamsicle has finally seen a road after about 1.5 year of jack stands time. cheer.gif Now the speedo didn't work so I changed the cable.

I see other cars passing by like a rocket while going at 65pmh so the speedo needle is way off??? I will check this with a GPS today.

Has anyone encountered the same and succeeded to repair??? The speedo works(barely) but odo does not.

Let me know.

Thanks,

kkid smile.gif

Odometer failure on the VDO gauages is very common. It's the nylon worm gears, they wear out.

See here for how to fix it yourself. Getting the bezel off (and back on) cleanly is your first stress!
Next would be sourcing the replacement gears.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/1...eter_Repair.htm

Regarding calibration. What size wheels and tyres are you running?
I have low profile Toyo R888Rs on my car, so the circumference is >10% less than the original stock (balloon) tyres.

So like you my speedo is seriously over reading.

Doesn't bother me too much tho: you only need the rev counter, who cares about the speedo! biggrin.gif
mepstein
Download a free app for your phone to tell you speed from your phone gps. Compare against your speedo.
SirAndy
Or do what i did and get a 944 speedo which is calibrated correctly for the 225x50x15 street tires i'm running.
smile.gif
Tom_T
Since it's a rare LE & you're in the Bay area, it may be worth your while to pull all of your gauges & take them over to Palo Alto Speedo for the speedo/odo repair/resto & to have them restore the rest as needed.

You can certainly do gear rebuilds yourself, if you're at all handy with small stuff.

BTW - you can also check your speedo with the ever more common in CA radar "your speed is XX" signs popping up everywhere. But it may just be that our fellow CA drivers are just more "lead footed"! biggrin.gif

Just a thought! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914itis
Stay away from North Hollywood , I would take a look at this thread before sending anything to them.
north Hollywood trouble
timothy_nd28
I have never seen a worm gear on any 914 speedometer wear out. Chances are the pot metal gear that couples the trip odometer wheels from the main odometer wheels is slipping on the main drive axle. This is definitely a DIY repair job.

The better question is the state of calibration of the speedometer. Is it off compared to your GPS? If so, you will be forced to mail your speedo to the professionals. They have a machine that will degauss the spinning magnet and then re magnetize it so that it reads the correct speed. This can't be done on the kitchen table.
kkid
QUOTE(23e Heure @ Jun 21 2017, 08:36 AM) *

QUOTE(kkid @ Jun 21 2017, 04:22 PM) *

Hey guys,

Let me know.

Thanks,

kkid smile.gif

Odometer failure on the VDO gauages is very common. It's the nylon worm gears, they wear out.

See here for how to fix it yourself. Getting the bezel off (and back on) cleanly is your first stress!
Next would be sourcing the replacement gears.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/1...eter_Repair.htm

Regarding calibration. What size wheels and tyres are you running?
I have low profile Toyo R888Rs on my car, so the circumference is >10% less than the original stock (balloon) tyres.

So like you my speedo is seriously over reading.

Doesn't bother me too much tho: you only need the rev counter, who cares about the speedo! biggrin.gif

I have done a similar repair on my 964 before. I changed the speedo drive gear and its size was super tiny like a 1/4"($17 from PP). Plying open the gauge was a pain and took some time. I had to use a sharpy to hide the mess afterward. I will open up this one to see what's happening inside soon.

I was just a slow driver in the HWY580 in the morning. headbang.gif People were just going like crazy at 80MPH+. My Speedo seems fairly accurate according to my Garmin.

Thanks,

kkid smile.gif

kkid
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 21 2017, 08:41 AM) *

Download a free app for your phone to tell you speed from your phone gps. Compare against your speedo.

Thanks for the suggestion but I might be the only in the world who still uses a flip phone wink.gif
kkid
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 21 2017, 09:12 AM) *

Or do what i did and get a 944 speedo which is calibrated correctly for the 225x50x15 street tires i'm running.
smile.gif

WOW, that tires! In my dream if I go to the gym to gain some arm muscle and most importantly more powerful motor in the back!
kkid
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 21 2017, 09:16 AM) *

Since it's a rare LE & you're in the Bay area, it may be worth your while to pull all of your gauges & take them over to Palo Alto Speedo for the speedo/odo repair/resto & to have them restore the rest as needed.

You can certainly do gear rebuilds yourself, if you're at all handy with small stuff.

Just a thought! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I had contacted them for my 964 speedo before. But I think I could buy 2 used 914 speedo for that kind of money.
kkid
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jun 22 2017, 08:18 AM) *

I have never seen a worm gear on any 914 speedometer wear out. Chances are the pot metal gear that couples the trip odometer wheels from the main odometer wheels is slipping on the main drive axle. This is definitely a DIY repair job.

The better question is the state of calibration of the speedometer. Is it off compared to your GPS? If so, you will be forced to mail your speedo to the professionals. They have a machine that will degauss the spinning magnet and then re magnetize it so that it reads the correct speed. This can't be done on the kitchen table.

I will try to repair myself. It might be challenging to count how many teeth on the broken gear(s) to order a new one.

Thanks,

kkid smile.gif
timothy_nd28
You won't need to count teeth or replace any gears. Open it up and post a picture
PanelBilly
Have a friend with one of thoses funny smarty phones to down load the thing that measures mph and have them take a spirited ride with you
kkid
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jun 22 2017, 08:18 AM) *

OK, I opened up the speedo, but I cant locate the pot metal gear yet. Please direct me where it is and how to get there.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=613
198]
Thanks,

kkid smile.gif
timothy_nd28
Click to view attachment
timothy_nd28
Read this thread as well, http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=310113&hl=
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(kkid @ Jun 21 2017, 11:22 AM) *

Hey guys,

Let me know.

Thanks,

kkid smile.gif

Not trying to hijack the thread but with so many speedo gurus posting here I need to ask the following. My newly rebuilt car has an fully functional speedo - except that the speed needle bounces around about 10 MPH. I average the bounce to get my speed. What to do to fix it ?? Have a new speedometer cable and angle drive at the tranny. Must be a need for maintenance of the bearing within the speedo. Can I fix it ??

Thanks all
kkid
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jul 22 2017, 08:03 PM) *

Hey, thanks a lot for pointing me to the right direction. I will do some homework and get back to here.

Have a great Sunday!!

kkid smile.gif
timothy_nd28
The speedo cable is long and very springy. If the speedo's input bearing isn't spinning properly, the speedo cable will "wind up" and then release. It will do this over and over and the needle will reflect this, I call it ghosting.

The input bearing was once greased but with age and heat, the grease has turned to wax. Read the link I attached above, it talks about how I clean and regrease this bearing.
worn

[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion but I might be the only in the world who still uses a flip phone wink.gif
[/quote]

I do too. And I use it about once per month. I do have an iPad though, and I bought a GPS sender from Aircraft Spruce. There are some nice weep pages that give stock tire diameter. Then I use the Tire Rack data to make comparisons. The odometer/speedo problem does well as a DIY project. Good luck.
forrestkhaag
I just received my rebuilt 150 speedo ( work done by Tim in this thread). His work was fast, expert, extremely reasonable, and the speedo is flawless in it's operation including the rebuild of the Odometer which i use and need to use with some degree of accuracy.

Tim put in full-ring LED's, reworked all innards and added glass in the place of the brownish scratched and pitted plastic lens.

On the speed reading to ground speed, tire size, wheel size are key to the calc.

PM Tim and you will get it right.
kkid
my pot metal gear is loose from the shaft, the worm gear seems ok.
kkid
QUOTE(kkid @ Jul 23 2017, 10:46 AM) *

my pot metal gear is loose from the shaft, the worm gear seems ok.

wondering if the needle needs to be come off prior to the operation or can stay there to re-attach(glue or deform) the pot metal gear.
timothy_nd28
Thanks Forrest, I'm glad you like it.
The nylon worm gear never wears out, just never seen that happen on a 914 yet.

Removing the needle and faceplate would give you great access to the pot metal gear. However, you do risk damaging the needle as it's pressed on, you also risk damaging the face plate. More importantly, the needle is aligned to the shaft which is attached to a hairpin spring. I can give you some pointers if you decide to go that route.

Pointer 1: With your finger, carefully lift the needle so it clears the needle stop. This means that you will rotate the needle backwards (past the 0mph mark).
Wiggle the speedo while holding it upright. At the bottom lip of the face dial, you will see a series of tick marks and a 0 center tick. As you wiggle the speedo, observe where the needle comes to rest. Do this 3-4 times and take a average of where the needle lands. When you put the needle back on, this is where the needle needs to point to. This will take care of not losing your calibration.

Pointer 2: When removing the needle, I use 2 big spoons. Point the needle straight up, position the spoons so that they are 180 degrees apart from one another. I put the fulcrum of the spoon right over each faceplate screw. I also put paper towels between the spoon and faceplate, to prevent scratching the faceplate. Pressing down on the spoons will cause a upward force under the gauge needle. Some needles pop up easy, while others are a super pain in the ass. Just cross your fingers when doing the deed.
timothy_nd28
I better point out that pointer 2 only applies to 914 speedometers. If one were to use this technique on a 911 speedometer, you would most likely ruin it. 911 speedometer needles come off by turning the needle past its stops. Rotating the needle slightly past the 0mph stop and rotating it past its max speed, all while pulling or putting a slight upward force. Rinse and repeat till the needle pulls off.

I have seen many posts lately talking about broken nylon gears and what not. The 911 speedos use a bakelite plastic material for one of their gears. If you happen to sneeze near it, it will break. People assume that the 914 speedometer has these same brittle gears, I assure you they don't. You will never see a broken plastic gear inside one of our speedometers. If the speedometer is recording speed but the odometer isn't working, 99% of the time it will be that pot metal gear slipping on the drive shaft.

Fixing the slipping metal gear can be done by pinching the gears hub onto the shaft. I know Pelican has a write up spelling this procedure out, but it's not a good repair. I strongly urge anyone doing this repair to use locktite instead.

Since the gear was originally pressed on by the VDO factory, and now it's slipping or free wheeling, pinching the gears' hub with vice grips will only oblong the once circle hole. The now oblong hole gets you 2 pinch points on the drive shaft. We know the gear failed even though it was a tight pressed fit at one point. How long do you think it will last if you pinch it back on the same shaft? This job that you are about to do will suck. It's best to do it once, go the loctite route.
kkid
I did not have to remove the needle, but had to take the 2 small screws off on the face plate. That way there was a enough room to take the pot-metal gear out.
timothy_nd28
Yep, I used to do it that way. Problem is when you do it that way, the face dial can bump and rub on the back side of the needle and scratch the face, or worse yet bend the needle. With great precision and surgical hands, it can be done.

Keep in mind when putting it back together, you will need to make sure all the upper following gears are in the right position with each respected odometer wheel, including the pot metal gear. All this needs to be done in situ of pressing the drive shaft thru the pot metal gear. Many things happening at once, especially if you are going the glue route, its very easy for the face dial to hit the needle.
kkid
So I pinched/squeezed the hub of the pot-metal gear from both side then put it back to where it was. With some drag while skewering the shaft to the pot metal gear along with all the other gears, I hoped it would not come off again (at least for a while). I didn't fully understand about making "all gears the right positions" but I assumed I did not move anything since I got all the gears wrapped up with a blue masking tape prior to the shaft removal. So I put everything back together as is and tested on the car. Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

And it works great!!!

It's beer.gif time.

Wish I can beerchug.gif with you timothy.

Thanks a lot for the help!!!

kkid smile.gif

kkid
Also, I was lucky enough not to damage the needle or face plate.

Thanks!!!
timothy_nd28
Looks good. As long as the numbers aren't halfway in the windows, you did good with putting it back together. beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
There's a guy in Canada that repairs the odometer for $150 Canadian shipped.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/canada/9498...ter-repair.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.