Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fire extinguisher
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
80cap
What fire extinguisher do you guys carry?
Brian
oakdalecurtis
Hi Brian, this is a repost of a product I found recently that you may want to consider:
I purchased the 6 foot BlazeCut Fire Suppression System. This length only requires one length down one side of the lid, one curve, and one length back the other side of the lid. I also found that the stiff tubing does not like to bend into a tight enough arc to fit into the confines of the engine lid. The tube kinked at the center of the curve, but I don't think it damaged it. I bought an electrical gray pipe curve, 3/4" ID, split it with my band saw, and zip tied and taped it around the BlazeCut tubing at the center of the arc where the tubing wanted to kink. This supported and held the tubing, keeping the tubing in the required arc while preventing it from kinking. I also found that plastic zip ties were not strong enough to hold the tubing in position under the engine lid. The stiff BlazeCut tubing does not like to bend or go where you want it to very easily. As you can see, I removed my rain tray a while ago since I never take the car out in bad weather and the engine runs cooler without it.
I fastened the tubing to the underside of the engine lid using metal pipe claps, 3/4 ID, and short self tapping metal screws into the lid supports. I wrapped the BlazeCut in heavy plumbers tape wherever it came in contact with the metal lid. I also cut thin strips of black tape and put them on the top side of the BlazeCut tube so you could not easily see the white tubing through the engine grill from the outside.
If you look on the left side of my engine lid, you can also see a steel braided cable I added a while back so I don't have to hold on to the engine lid when I open it. Without the cable, if you popped the engine lid and didn't hold it, it would fly open and put a lot of bending force on the hinges, which I have already rewelded once. Now the cable catches it before it works on the hinges.
BTW, if you have a weak opening engine cover, here's a link to an easy and simple fix that lets you put more pop in the opening, especially with the extra weight of the BlazeCut under the lid. My lids pops open fully now, even with the tubing under it.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=290514&hl=
I hope I never have to find out how well the BlazeCut tubing works!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Porscheguy912
Dear Brian, I also have BlazeCut in my 912 soft-window and 914.

Gregory
designerguy90
I have one of the 2.5lb H3R Hal Guard clean agent extinguishers in my 968 and 914.
80cap
Thanks
Brian
porschetub
1.5kg with motorsport approved stainless mount,haven't fitted it yet cause I can't decide where headbang.gif
AZBanks
Get a clean agent like Halon(if you can find it) or halotron.
There are several vendors who carry these kinds of extinguishers. Normal household extinguishers use chemicals that are very corrosive and damaging to most car parts. It would be a huge bummer to save your car from a fire and then have to replace most of the car due to damage from the extinguisher you used.
db9146
Blazecut 3 meter version.....lay it in the sun a little while to soften and it will make the bends needed.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=blazecut
Dave_Darling
What I [do carry is a 5-lb hand-held bottle of Halon. It was the minimum required by the local track outfits when I got it. Halon is harder to find now, but there are similar alternatives available that have better or worse reps.

The AFFF (aqueous fire-fighting foam or something like that) sounds like a pretty decent way to go now.

Many of the dry chemical agents are hugely corrosive to aluminum, magnesium, and wiring, so it's best to stay away from those.

--DD
eitnurg
Halon has been banned for several years now: although it's excellent at putting out fires, it was also found that it's even better at destroying the ozone layer.

There are still a few halon extinguishers around, they are still allowed in aviation and the military as there's simply nothing better. So if you see one, grab it: but don't expect to be able to get it re-charged at all.

Coondog
QUOTE(eitnurg @ Jun 21 2017, 02:04 PM) *

Halon has been banned for several years now: although it's excellent at putting out fires, it was also found that it's even better at destroying the ozone layer.

There are still a few halon extinguishers around, they are still allowed in aviation and the military as there's simply nothing better. So if you see one, grab it: but don't expect to be able to get it re-charged at all.

Actually Halon is only banned from industry producing more Halon. You can still buy Halon but be prepared to pay $$$$$. If you have a Halon ext. treat it like Gold as it's a wanted commodity because it can no longer be made but old Halon can be sold over and over again. I have a Halotron ext. in my 914 for Elec fires and a purple K extinguisher for fuel fires.

porschetub
Halon was banned in my country yrs ago,my one is dry power hope that's useful,no expert so don't know.
The days of expecting fuel hose to last for a long time are long gone,who knows what grap they will add to fuel in the future,I use EFI hose on my carbs anyway but always check over and use proper fuel line connectors....no screw clamps dry.gif .
GeorgeRud
I have Halon extinguishers my Porsches and automatically deployed halon extinguishers in my Motorhome. However, if I were buying today, I'd look into the foam extinguishers as they will smother the fire and cool the area to hopefully prevent reigniting the fire from the heat. Only problem is that the foam extinguishers can freeze (for those of us that live in the northern states).
AZBanks
Sadly, halon was banned based on the “Ozone Shield” myth that blamed freon gas for destroying this mythical shield with a chemical reaction that has never observed in nature or in a laboratory.
porbmw
[quote name='AZBanks' date='Jun 21 2017, 07:16 PM' post='2498981']
Sadly, halon was banned based on the “Ozone Shield” myth that blamed freon gas for destroying this mythical shield with a chemical reaction that has never observed in nature or in a laboratory.
[/quote

Yup
And global warming, and man's contribution to it, is all a myth as well...

BTW
What is the outside temp in Phoenix these days..... poke.gif
914dave
4 lb ) SPA AFFF Multi-Flo Mechanical Fire System 2 nozzles under the gas tank and 4 in the engine bay. Click to view attachment
914dave
Safety pin and discharge handles mounted in the glove box area. Click to view attachment
iamchappy
SPA...
Amphicar770
Halon is the way to go. You can find them at aircraft supply stores. Also, watch for Zoro 25-30% sales, that is when I stock up on things like fire extinguishers. Bigger is always better.

Blazecut seems like a good initial defense, not sure if it contains enough agent to put out a fuel fire. Which leads to the fact that the best way to deal with fire is prevention. If funds are limited, replace any old fuel lines, injector hoses, etc. before spending money on an extinguisher.
70Sixter
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jun 22 2017, 04:40 PM) *

SPA...

What is that 2.5 bracket ? Anyone know if the adjustable Rennline bracket works with a the 914 seat ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.