Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: transmission output shafts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
I'm onto the gearbox now that the engine is back together.

I have new output shaft seals but i thought there were holes to put a bar through in order to lock it while i undo the bolt. I was wrong they are just indentations.

Is there any way i can lock these off or will i need to take the box to a garahe for them to blast the bolts with an air gun?
SirAndy
Put two bolts in the flange and use a bar to hold the flange while you're turning the center bolt.
smash.gif
mark04usa
IIRC the torque on the bolts is about 31 ft lbs, so should come off easily (I was lucky and mine were easily R&R'd). Be sure not to set the seals too deeply or they will fail and leak quickly as mine did...I had to do this job twice!
JFG
Thanks for the info. i wasn't sure about the torque figures so got a bit worried. Nice tip about seal seating, i definitely don't want to do it twice!
Justinp71
I need to redo mine. I plan to knock the seal flush with a piece of wood. Then take a piece of 2" PVC pipe to knock the seal flush with the case.

I had the issue with the seal tearing on install last time, any reason why I can lube up the back of the seal with some trans fluid to help prevent tearing?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.