Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A good quality dash cover wanted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kaeferfreund
Hi!

I saw some dash covers recently. Seems to be an often used accessories in the States.
Now the cardinal question: which one would you recommend?
Should be a premium quality (long term durable).
Or in other words: which one do you use? Velour or carpet, which vendor?
Some pictures (dash cover used in a 914) would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

mepstein
If your dash is cracked, buy the heavy plastic one. If your dash is good, leave off a cover, it makes the dash hot. Get a sunshade instead.
Chris914n6
I have had a dash mat in all my cars. Most look like a thinner trunk carpet, the newest one is velour and nearing 10 years old. None of them have decayed in the decades I've had them, and this is in Las Vegas, which happens to be topping 115F this week. I also use a windshield sun shade in summer to cut down on the heat, but not really used enough to affect the longevity of the dash mat.

I like the carpet ones better - things slide less and it's stiffer so it's easy to hide things under it (like tweeters).
The velour is on a rounded dash so it probably conforms better and it doesn't make a good shelf anyways.
Larmo63
Dash mats have their place, but for the most part they look cheesy. I wouldn't ever use one, but I don't like the geezer '80s look. I have used the plastic covers as a stopgap measure three times. They can really fool the eye, and you can't tell they are there unless you look really close. Look on eBay for the one with the proper grain. Not the one that looks like sandpaper.

I'll go try to find the listing on eBay.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-71-72-73-74-75-76-Porsche-914-Dash-Pad-Cover-Cap-/190318659625?hash=item2c4fe04829:g:v08AAOSwo4pYiQfs&vxp=mtr
funk
I have seen some high quality dash tops maxin out in the high 200$ or near 300$ 914 rubber still has full blown dash seconds for 300$ (small crease above ashtray)hardly notice. gettem while the gittins good
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 22 2017, 02:08 PM) *

Dash mats have their place, but for the most part they look cheesy. I wouldn't ever use one, but I don't like the geezer '80s look. I have used the plastic covers as a stopgap measure three times. They can really fool the eye, and you can't tell they are there unless you look really close. Look on eBay for the one with the proper grain. Not the one that looks like sandpaper.

I'll go try to find the listing on eBay.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-71-72-73-74-75-76-Porsche-914-Dash-Pad-Cover-Cap-/190318659625?hash=item2c4fe04829:g:v08AAOSwo4pYiQfs&vxp=mtr

Yea ok I have a dashmat and it stays on except in the winter as my dash is like new,cheesy ...the bloody things fit like crap good point.
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 21 2017, 11:23 PM) *

If your dash is cracked, buy the heavy plastic one. If your dash is good, leave off a cover, it makes the dash hot. Get a sunshade instead.

@all:
Thanks for all the good info.

@mepstein:
Hmm....temperature...not such a problem in Germany, but an interesting hint.

Toobad! No one with a picture.
ndfrigi
my recent sold and our previous toy has a plastic dash cap. It had it since I bought it last 2011 and its been there from the previous owner for more than 8 years when is just a non-operational car at their driveway.

Click to view attachment
malcolm2
Doing some work on my AIRBAG...

My dash cover is formed plastic. About the only place you can tell is around the ashtray. The OEM dash and the ashtray match. This is a bit different : color, texture and fit at that location.

Not sure about the source of this. I probably picked it up at a swap meet kinda thing.

If I had the time and the patience to install it, I would just buy the repop one from 914rubber.com

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
agree.gif

I used the plastic snap on for years until 914rubber came along.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.