Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pinstriping a 914 Old School
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_T
Before all of the paint is off my 914, I've been meaning to do a topic with some pix of how IMHO the best looking tasteful/subtle accent pinstriping should be done - old school style, with paint & not tape.

This video from Hagerty interviewing Lyle Fisk - one of the SoCal old school greats - prompted me to do it here. Here's a link to the video -

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Art...g%20your%20carb

While Lyle didn't do my 914 back in 1980 & 1976, the guy in Santa Ana who did is no longer around AFAIK, but he had the same capabilities, & used to pinstripe for George Barris & other Rod Builders, & in the 1960's-70's he had done my Uncle's 32 Ford Rumble Seat Roadster Rod, 58 Vette, Rail, etc. - so a known quantity.

Based on my expert pinstriper's advice & my eye & personal preferences - I like the 2 parallel stripes along the fenders/doors beltline to accent the length & visually lower the 914 - tapered & meeting at the ends just behind the Front TS & before the Taillights - as shown in the pix below.

In my 1980-83 Rolling Resto, I chose the 2-tones of blue (Medium over Light Blue - non-metallic in this case), to add some color to the otherwise blah "Pavement Cammy" Anthracite Grey Metallic from the 930 of 1976 MY (a paint to sample color which a buddy had on his 930), since I was trying to negate the cop-catching metallic orange effect of the 1976 repaint/rustoration of my 914 to the 75 MY 914 Copper Metallic L99K (it had brown metallic over gold metallic pinstripes similar in layout to the blue ones below), since I was getting pulled over too much for nothing other than being a bright colored Porsche!

Yes - I've already done 2x restos/repaints on my 914 over the decade & 132000+ miles that I drove it as my DD - for those scorekeepers in the crowd!

The one in 1976 was basically just a rust spots treatment & repaint from the Gold when I bought my early MY 1973 914-2.0 "914S" from the OO in Dec. 1975, then in 1980-83 a more complete mechanical & running gear rebuild, body work (got the front deck lid submarined by a work truck stopping in the middle of the street) & more rust work Rolling Resto/Refurb ($7500+ then - $25000+ today's dollars), which is the Anthracite below - after getting hit in a parking structure while I was in Grad School classes (stored since then while raising a family).

While I knew since buying it in 75 that it was originally "white" L80E Light Ivory & repainted by the new dealer to Gold Metallic (L97G/L97H) when I bought it - more recently I found another repaint between the L80E & the Gold, that the dealer had also painted it Sahara Beige 98 code (like Steve G's in the O&H Forum's "The few, the rare...." nailed topic on original specimens). It was somewhat common back then for Porsche+Audi dealers to do color changes either for customer requests, or to help sell a slow moving car. i don't know which it was, but mine was a 8/31/72 build date (per Chassis No. decoding), which was 1st sold 11/9/72 - so it was around at least a couple of months - not long IMHO, but enough for the OO or prior buyer(s) to request a different color. The floors were never done over from L80E, so I always had that & Karmann Plate for reference on the factory color.

So here are some pix of the pinstriping FYI - & it's obviously still bears the damage from that May 1985 hit which crunched both F & R, but will be restored & repaired to proper fitment again sometime soon ....

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
.... (Note: the discoloration of the paint & plastic film bits are remnants of the plastic painter's drop cloth sheet which I put under the flannel cover to "protect" the paint - NOT a good idea FYI!) dry.gif

Of course, everyone has their own tastes on how they want to pinstripe &/or otherwise embellish their 914s & other cars, but there is nothing like old scholl hand painted pinstriping, when done by a Master! drooley.gif wub.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom_T
I like how these shots show how the pinstriper placed the stripes along the curve from the vertical to horizontal surfaces in the general area of where the sunlight hightlights also accent the door & fenders tops ....

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

I'm not sure if I'll do any pinstripes on the upcoming resto at all, since it's going back to the L80E Light Ivory with the positive PORSCHE script side stripes down at the bottom of the doors/fenders between the wheel wells (see 914 ad pic below) - so pinstripes on top of them may be too much.

Click to view attachment

I hope that this helps anyone who is considering having their 914 pinstriped.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Rand
This is purely an opinion thing, there is no answer. But for me, no way today. I love it that our 914s have outlived this fad. Pinstriping is old and dead with a few exceptions amongst the hotrod crowd.

Having said that, my first 914 was black with a red pinstripe. It followed the lines nicely, but I didn't put them back after repainting.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 21 2017, 02:41 PM) *

This is purely an opinion thing, there is no answer. But for me, no way today.

I know what you mean - especially for concours purism on any original or full resto 914 of any note, but as you say, to each their own.

And if one is to do pinstripes on a nice paint job, then do hand painted by a pro/"arteest" vs. tape - since both can be removed later if not wanted, without damage to the paint - & perhaps easier with the paint, since tape has a tendency to bake onto/into the paint surface.

For me in my 20s & early 30's - I did it & did 2 color changes of my own on my NARPy car. blink.gif

Today, I'm going for the more CW purist look with the period correct side-stripe-script.

Anyone going for the big major Concours should likewise stay away from such custom touches IMHO.

I mainly posted it since there are occasionally folks who ask about it.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom_T
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 21 2017, 02:41 PM) *

This is purely an opinion thing, there is no answer. But for me, no way today. I love it that our 914s have outlived this fad. Pinstriping is old and dead with a few exceptions amongst the hotrod crowd.

Having said that, my first 914 was black with a red pinstripe. It followed the lines nicely, but I didn't put them back after repainting.

Well, I see that with your added confession - I'm not the only one with a wild youth for my 914! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
tygaboy
I dunno - I thought I wouldn't like pinstripes. But then I saw Dave K's car at WCR - it looks great, IMO, at least in this color combo.
Rand
All I see in that pic is Elvira wub.gif She steals the show.

No diss to Dave's awesome car. Dang those tits are poking hard. Imagine that car without the tits and pinstripes. Mmm.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 21 2017, 03:17 PM) *

All I see in that pic is Elvira wub.gif She steals the show.

No diss to Dave's awesome car. Dang those tits are poking hard. Imagine that car without the tits and pinstripes. Mmm.

+1 for Elvira. Always been my favorite. biggrin.gif
AZBanks
Porsche script OR pinstripe... but not both.

If you are going to do pinstripes on an ivory car, go with Martini red and blue. They would look better on white but they should look good on ivory as well.
jeffdon
MY opinion....nope.
maf914
I always wondered where the pin striping on the early Penske Sunoco sponsored racing cars originated. Lolas, Ferrari, Porsches... all good!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.