Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are your installation tips for the front air box?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Matty900
I will be tackeling the front air box installation tomorrow and I have been told that those are 2 of the hardest screws to get in the car.
I have cleaned up the box and blower. I have replaced all of the seals and put on the late seal with the grill on top of the box to keep debris out.
I have not yet reattached the blower to the box incase that will help with the install.

What are your tips for getting this back in with new seals? I would like to document it to help people in the future.
BeatNavy
Hey Matt, if you can improve on this thread I'm sure it will be welcomed by anyone attempting to doing this job: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...sh++air++blower. Post 19 there still makes me chuckle.

Funny, I did it once a couple of years ago, and while I remember it was not easy, I'm not sure I would put it in my "Top 5 All Time PITA Things" I've had to do on the car.

914_teener
Six pack of beer and plenty of patience.
Dion
Matt,
Lots of patience. I had my tank out at the time I did mine.
Plenty of Simple Green for spraying various edges to make them slide into place.
I left the cables not connected to ease my install. Not that it was any easier
reattaching them later, it was just working out that way. Good luck.
Oh and band aids for your fingers later! beerchug.gif

Dion
branston
I just did this job and my tank was out too, PITA and IMO I don't see how it could be done tank in.

Blower was fully assembled, cables attached before fitting the box into position. plenty of soapy water on the rubber gasket to slide into position. I actually glued the new 914 rubber seal onto the plastic blower box to stop it slipping off and it worked good.

I didn't have much hassle getting the two bolts in place, job is easier with a helper to push the blower box up against the new seal when locating the bolt holes.

dcecc1968
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jun 22 2017, 06:15 AM) *

Hey Matt, if you can improve on this thread I'm sure it will be welcomed by anyone attempting to doing this job: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...sh++air++blower. Post 19 there still makes me chuckle.

Funny, I did it once a couple of years ago, and while I remember it was not easy, I'm not sure I would put it in my "Top 5 All Time PITA Things" I've had to do on the car.

That thread is hilarious.... of course this coming from someone who has not yet tackled this job.
Bartlett 914
Test the blower before installing!
LowBridge
QUOTE(branston @ Jun 22 2017, 09:16 AM) *

I just did this job and my tank was out too, PITA and IMO I don't see how it could be done tank in.

Blower was fully assembled, cables attached before fitting the box into position. plenty of soapy water on the rubber gasket to slide into position. I actually glued the new 914 rubber seal onto the plastic blower box to stop it slipping off and it worked good.

I didn't have much hassle getting the two bolts in place, job is easier with a helper to push the blower box up against the new seal when locating the bolt holes.

agree.gif 7th Circle of HELL... I posted somewhere that I felt if I had to do it again I would use something sticky to help hold the rubber gasket in place sheeplove.gif as that was the one thing giving me all the problems when trying to slip it back into place over the wiper assembly.

final suggestion is have a really cold 6 pack ready once you finish it beerchug.gif
clapeza
I stuffed a shop towel under the box to help hold it in place and distribute the force while I aligned the screw holes.

Good luck!!

My blower motor stopped working, and I had to completely disassemble it, down to the motor windings, to find a tiny stone chip wedged inside. As they say, "It's not the mountain before you that stops your progress, but the rock inside your shoe..."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.