Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timing Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
clapeza
Simple timing question:

Car: '70 1.7L Djet

After setting timing statically at TDC to get the car running, running the engine at 3500RPM, vacuum advance/retard hoses unplugged, timing light firing:
to get to 27* BTDC do I turn the distributor CCW to get the proper fan timing mark to appear?

How much of a turn should I expect? Is is really about 27 degrees?

Chester
Dave_Darling
First take a look at the fan. Note where the TDC mark is, and where the timing mark is. You might try putting extra paint marks on the fan where the marks are--I have painted the top of the nearest fan blade to the timing mark, and others have put paint dots on the pulley part at the front of the fan.

Once you have seen the difference between the two marks, you'll know which way the fan should move. Then just try twisting the distributor so that it moves the right way.

Since there are only two possibilities, it shouldn't take long.

The amount of twist of the distributor from static timing at TDC to the dynamic timing mark of 27 deg BTDC is influenced by the total amount of centrifugal advance. IIRC, it's something like 20 degrees total centrifugal? The change from TDC static timing to correct dynamic timing shouldn't be a huge amount.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.