Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking about a new daily driver
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
azbill
What do you guys think about a Nissan Armada. Wife and I are planning some looong drive around the country. want to be comfortable will the taking the Airdales ohmy.gif so need some space.
GaroldShaffer
A good friend of my wife has one and she loves it. We have been in it a couple of times, nice truck/car/SUV whatever.
Root_Werks
My wife and I just sold her 2000 Jeep, for get this $4500. It looked and smelled like new, but had just over 100k on the clock. Watch those SUV's right now, they are de-valuing fast! ohmy.gif
andys
QUOTE (azbill @ May 13 2005, 01:00 PM)
What do you guys think about a Nissan Armada. Wife and I are planning some looong drive around the country. want to be comfortable will the taking the Airdales ohmy.gif so need some space.

You mean an FUV biggrin.gif Sorry, couldn't resist. You might want to read the reports. I was considering the truck version (Titan); I really liked it very much UNTIL I read about it's bad gas mileage. It's the one universal complaint owners had (the truck). Some owners are reporting single digit city mileage!! I think Edmunds refers to it a "dismal." That's worse than my full size Dodge van conversion! Some report 11-12 MPG combined. I suppose if this is for a soccer mom/grocery getter with an occasional trip thrown-in, it wouldn't be so bad, but at the increasing gas prices it will be a heavy hit.

Andy
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ May 13 2005, 01:21 PM)
" Watch those SUV's right now, they are de-valuing fast!"

"Fast" is hardly the word for it! A few more months and they'll be paying you to take one. If you follow the industry analysts, you'll see that they're blaming a LOT of the carmakers problems on their heavy reliance on the VERY profitable large SUVs. Why sell a mainstream car for 5K profit when you can make 3 or 4 times that (YUP, 3 or 4) on an SUV? With gasoline prices at or near 3 bucks a gallon, few people are gonna be in a position to buy a new vehicle that gets under 20MPG and costs 60-70 bucks to fill up. The Cap'n
Allan
I have a 2001 Tahoe that I have driven 110,000 miles without a hiccup. I get right about 18-19 mpg freeway. Comfy, roomy and dependable. I wish gas prices were not so high but at least I can fill it up everytime with the cheapest stuff I find.
Eddie914
My daily driver has EPA mileage ratings of 10/19 city/highway and that was in 1988. It even requires premium fuel. The fuel prices are killing me but I can't seem to part with the thing. Has 205,000 miles. Luckily I have a very short commute. The short commute doesn't burn as much gas, but it sure impacts the average fuel mileage ... I get about 12mpg.

... it's not an SUV or truck

... it's a four door sedan

... and it's not American made
Root_Werks
We hadn't been driving our Jeep in a few months. It plumeted in value more than $2200 in 8 weeks without putting any miles on it. Wife drives a 944, great mileage, I ride the bus or bike. So the gas bill in our house is really small either way. We owned the Jeep for a couple of years and just didn't see a need to have it. Never used it for what it was intended. So just got rid of it. If you don't use it, it's a waste. cool.gif
rick 918-S
Ours needed a complete brake job after 9000 miles. Dealer replaced everything. This is a service recall. Nissan failed to properly size the brakes. Then about 4 days later the pinion gear broke. The dealer did a chassis lube when he did the brakes. We think they failed to refill the diff!

Otherwisw, We wub.gif it!
Eddie914
Oops! Sorry.

Armada, yes.

Good build quality and lots of room. I have used Chevy Suburbans for the last 10 years as family/tow rigs. Very reliable with great utility, but after about 100k miles they start to shake, rattle, and squeak. Ten years ago there wasn't much choice for 7 person seating with a big tow rating.

Nissan has caught up in a hurry.

I'll wait until I find one that has already taken the big up-front depreciation.

Eddie
airsix
QUOTE (azbill @ May 13 2005, 01:00 PM)

You want to be comfortable and have space? Are you going off-roading? If you are not going off-roading and just need the comfort and space get the Quest. I just came back from a 1,200 mile trip with the family in my wife's. It made 27mpg at an average 70mph. 240hp. Very comfortable. I've got to do another 1,200 mile road trip (without kids) in August and I'm seriously considering driving the Quest instead of my M3! (It took a lot of guts for me to say that)

-Ben M.
tesserra
I also heard that the mileage is really bad with the Armada.
Consumer reports loves the Lexus 470 and the Toyota land cruiser.
I think I would consider a used one of those for the same price range as a new "lesser" SUV.
I own a 1992 Suburban with 198,000 miles on it that loves the freeway, but the handling, brakes, etc are terrible.

George
jgiroux67
Get a Teurag or X5
Allan
QUOTE (Eddie914 @ May 13 2005, 03:20 PM)
... and it's not American made

It's a Skoda?
azbill
Thanks guys - I checked out the Quest tonight, not enough leg room and the seats are short. I'm 6'5" - on long drives I need lots of room. So I as of right now the Armada is the front runner but still don't like the gas mileage. I will look at the Honda mini van and see what that is all about. Thanks again.
MarkV
QUOTE (tesserra @ May 13 2005, 08:07 PM)

Consumer reports loves the Lexus 470 and the Toyota land cruiser.

Take a look at the Toyota Sequoia. It has a cast iron block version of the Lexus 32 valve little V8, and it is part time four wheel drive. The 470 & the Land Crusher are both all wheel drive which hurts gas mileage. I get 14 miles to the gallon around town & 18 on the highway. The 05 version has a 5 speed auto and more HP. My last 5 vehicles were Suburbans, the Sequoia is more nimble, quiet and built better.
Lou W
My wifes drives our 2003 Tahoe, tow package, leather interior, dvd player, xm radio, holds 7 people comfortably, added a K&N filter system, 40,000 miles. We love it, I can't imagine replacing with anything else.
JB 914
QUOTE (azbill @ May 13 2005, 09:18 PM)
Thanks guys - I checked out the Quest tonight, not enough leg room and the seats are short. I'm 6'5" - on long drives I need lots of room. So I as of right now the Armada is the front runner but still don't like the gas mileage. I will look at the Honda mini van and see what that is all about. Thanks again.

I've had an Armada for almost a year. Only problem is the brakes which Nissan is upgrading at no charge in the next few months.

I've towed the teener and it's hard to tell you are even towing something. I had a Suburban before and this rides much nicer and has way more leg room in front and back. the cargo area is slightly smaller than a Suburban.

Complaining about gas prices with an SUV is like buying a Teener and bitchin that it doesn't have a back seat. It's a GREAT BIG F'N TRUCK FOR CHRIST"S SAKE. I can load all my stuff with no problems and ride in comfort. If i wanted gas mileage i could have kept my 94 camry that had 200k miles. But, i had to grease up the family and bags to get everyone in it after a Costco trip.

I think it's a good SUV with alot of power and comfort.
bmcwilli
I have an 01 (tho made in 2000) Toyota Highlander. A bit smaller than the Armada. Much better gass mileage. The new ones have a 3rd seat.

Highlander is based on the Camry platform, so it's a unibody, rather than body on frame (like the Armada)

Very quiet, very smooth, quick, good handling. Probably the best all around veficle I have owned.

Available with AWD an there is a Hybrid version, either shipping or will ship soon.

The Higlander si a superb vehicle, with none of the SUV downsides.

Highlander downsides?
- lower tow capacity than a truck based SUV, but the available receiver hitch is a 2 incher/
maf914
When my new Nissan Frontier (replaced my old totaled '92 hardbody pickup) needed to visit the dealer service department they loaned me an Armada demo. Jeez, that thing was an eff-ing monster! wacko.gif And I thought the new Frontier was big! I guess I'm just not a fan of bloated, obese SUV's. laugh.gif
seanery
I've got an 04 Durango Hemi LTD that I ordered new in Dec '03. It's a great truck, gets decent mileage (overall average since I've got it is 16 mpg). That's better mileage than the Range Rover it replaced and has more hustle and room to boot. No service issues, and provides a nice solid, yet comfy ride. driving.gif
spare time toys
We got a 2001 Suburban. IT SUCKS and we cant get rid of it. At 70000 miles we have put in 4 sets of rear brakes, replaced the front wheel hubs because the dont have replaceable wheel bearings any more, it need a ring and pinion because they down sized the diff,has the piston slap, and sucks gas. We went to trade it and all the GM dealer would give us was $6000.

We traded the Jetta ( I miss the 55 MPG ) for a Caddy SRX what a nice car. Barb needed it for her work selling high end homes. Loads of room and with the northstar v8 quick also. If we keep our foot out of it it will get over 20 MPG flying down the road. Its only got 7500 miles on it now we will see how well it holds up in a year.
joea9146
I would look at the VW Touareg Diesel .....

"A Hulk-like, 5.0L V10 TDI diesel will be available in 2004. In its European configuration, it produces 303hp and an astounding 553lb-ft of torque. This engine gets raves in Europe and it’s not difficult to see why. First of all, forget everything you think you know about diesels. This diesel is different. This diesel can push the Touareg to 150 mph and 25 mpg, although not, regretfully, at the same time.

While it's currently available in Europe, VW doesn't rule out the possibility that its 5 cylinder, 2.5L diesel with 172hp and (gasp!) 400 lb-ft of torque, could be an option for North America late in '05. VW has teased that the all-round performance on the 2.5L diesel is similar to the 4.2L V8 gasoline engine – except it’s two to three times more fuel-efficient. I’m waiting for this one. "'
RangerRhett
I am looking for a new daily myself. I am looking at the Honda Element (something practical) or a 2000-2001 Boxster (something completely impractical wacko.gif )

A family member of mine loves the Element because you can beat the living hell out of it because there is no carpeted upholstery. I don't know. I have an older Mustang now, but it really has given me some problems...
Gary
QUOTE (azbill @ May 13 2005, 02:00 PM)
What do you guys think about a Nissan Armada. Wife and I are planning some looong drive around the country. want to be comfortable will the taking the Airdales  :o so need some space.

We've had one for a year and a half. Our requirements were comfortable seating for the wife and me, our 4 kids and the dog, and the ability to tow the 914 or TR3. She's very comfortable for the family on the highway and in the city. The third row is big enough that my teenage sons are comfortable in back - try that with a Durango or Quest. She has airbags for all three rows of seating. She tows 9100 lbs with the tow package. She goes 0-60 in 7.0 seconds. She has a gorgeous powerplant - aluminum block, 6 bolt mains, coil-on-plug, etc... 1st major tune up at 105k. The LE package has air shocks with auto-level, heated seats, leather, bose 9 speaker stereo, tire pressure sensors, power liftgate, foglights, etc.

When friends or extended family ride with us, everyone comments on what a comfortable rig she is. $60 fills suck, but it's not a huge percentage of our overall family budget.

Great rig.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.