Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Value of parts donor (74 911) for my /6 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Before anyone says it, I will thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Ok with that being said I have access to a 74 911 targa in not so good shape. No crash damage just major rust issues and its been sitting for almost 6 years in a shed. The engine cranks by hand but hasn't ran since being stored. I'm really interested in this car for the front suspension, fuchs and well yes the engine also. The owner is asking... ready for this...... $5k for it wacko.gif Now if it was a running car I could see that but I'm thinking more like $2 - 3k ish.

Please remeber this is Northwest Indiana, NOT CA were rust free Porsches fall from the sky laugh.gif So with out seeing it in person would this car be a $3k car? I will get some pics next week when I can get back over to look at it better.
Root_Werks
$3k tops. Check to make sure it is really an "S" model engine. Get the VIN# and googe 911 models.

Engine should have 11 blade fan at least. Otherwise that 2.7 is almost sure to have pulled head studs. sad.gif
jim912928
Garold,

3k...only if the engine has good compression (you can check that..easy enough) and no broken head studs. Also check to see if it has the chain tensioner update (look for little oil lines coming from the front of each cam cover). If poor compression and/or broken head studs you are looking at engine work on a 2.7. Nothing wrong with that except by the time you put alot into that engine you could probably have purchased a good running 3.2. So, no broken head studs and good compression I'd go for it.

To put the 5k in perspective...my 80SC Targa with 70k miles...absolutely ZERO rust and running excellent (all original) I paid 7900 (car was in Merriville). So, 5k for a non-running rust bucket is too much.

Jim

p.s. now, if some of the components are in good working shape..you can recoup some money on ebay. For example, I had a spare targa top that brought 900 bucks (new ones are about 6k).
Dr Evil
$3k agree.gif My engine and stuff are off of a '74. CIS 2.7 with SC cams (cams were done on rebuild).
ArtechnikA
interesting... there's a '73 available in LaPorte IN for $4k that sounds to be in better shape - just re-posted to the 911 list this morning after languishing on the birdie board for a while...

lemme know if you want the link.
i was interested in the Fuchs and the front suspension but i figure you'd want those for a conversion...

what i *really* want (and figure you won't) is the MFI stuff and the 915.
rick 918-S
Too much for an unknown condition motor that has had zero maintainance, care or any attempts to preserve it for 6 years. Offer 1500.00 and move to 2000.00 tops. Core engines are $500.00 ask around, I bet a complete suspension assm. is 250.00 or less. And no rusty hunk to dispose of. sawzall-smiley.gif
Dr Evil
Red-Beard is selling a rebuilt 2.2 for $3k. I think with carbs. If you want info, let me know.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ May 13 2005, 01:59 PM)
interesting... there's a '73 available in LaPorte IN for $4k that sounds to be in better shape - just re-posted to the 911 list this morning after languishing on the birdie board for a while...

lemme know if you want the link.
i was interested in the Fuchs and the front suspension but i figure you'd want those for a conversion...

what i *really* want (and figure you won't) is the MFI stuff and the 915.

Umm, LaPorte I could check it out. I'm not ready to pull the trigger on any donor car just yet. I'm trying to get an idea of whats out there and for what kind of $$$.

These are the things I know for sure that I want to do with my /6 conversion.

1) Engine doesn't have to be a 3.0 I can live with a 2.2-2.7

2) 5 lug conversion with Fuchs.

3) No flares for me, the fender lips are rolled and pulled a bit already. 215's will fit the rear with 205 in front

4) Leaving the stock look interior except for the new Lemans seat I just ordered and the 5 point harness also.

5) It will be painted its correct color L20E drooley.gif

6) drive the snot out of it when its done.
boxstr
Garold, this one has the LeMans seat already mounted. Make me an offer.
CCLINCAMPDADDY
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (boxstr @ May 13 2005, 08:08 PM)
Garold, this one has the LeMans seat already mounted. Make me an offer.
CCLINCAMPDADDY

laugh.gif I wish

My /6 project is going to be a rolling 3 yr project (well that is the plan anyway)

Did you get my payment for the seat?
J P Stein
A 74 2.7 from the midwest is unlikely to have pulled studs, however everything on theses cars rust/oxidize. Any rust bucket is a crap shoot and there may not be ANY parts below the belt line worth saving.

I assume that you are going to want to use your new found power for AX. A smart thing to do (this is the voice of hard experience talkin') is to build to class. All this time, I coulda been running SM2. The more I look at "the book" the better it seems for Porsche hotrods.....too late for me.
Pick your motor.

Had I the chance to do it again, I'd go with a 3.0/3.2L street monster....hot rodded, of course.
biggrin.gif
boxstr
Garold Yes I got payment, I have a shipment coming will send one of those. All boxed and ready to go, should be here any day.
Thank you
CCLINGTS
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (boxstr @ May 14 2005, 06:33 AM)
Garold Yes I got payment, I have a shipment coming will send one of those. All boxed and ready to go, should be here any day.
Thank you
CCLINGTS

smilie_pokal.gif Thanks Craig
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (J P Stein @ May 14 2005, 06:30 AM)
A 74 2.7 from the midwest is unlikely to have pulled studs, however everything on theses cars rust/oxidize. Any rust bucket is a crap shoot and there may not be ANY parts below the belt line worth saving.

I assume that you are going to want to use your new found power for AX. A smart thing to do (this is the voice of hard experience talkin') is to build to class. All this time, I coulda been running SM2. The more I look at "the book" the better it seems for Porsche hotrods.....too late for me.
Pick your motor.

Had I the chance to do it again, I'd go with a 3.0/3.2L street monster....hot rodded, of course.
biggrin.gif

Yep, it will put me in SM2 until then I run DSP driving.gif burnout.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.