Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TIRE WIDTH ON STOCK RIMS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rd914
I need to replace all tires on stock Pedrini rims. What is the max tire width can I replace it with? It currently has 165 SR 15. Advise please.
Mueller
normally you can get away with 205's in width, 50, 55 series most common....I've seen one car with 60's, but they looked too odd, like ballons (hey Mike smile.gif )

skline
Dan Root's new car has 205X50X15's mounted on stock Fuch alloys. They fit nice and really grab the road. I dont know if it can be any better. driving.gif
rd914
Thanks. I'm gonna go with 205/50/15s.
bd1308
dont go too wide for that rim tho, it'll mushroom and you'll be all over the road
bd1308
I have the ZIEX tooo....good tire....i have the same one, which model?
Mueller
QUOTE (rd914 @ May 13 2005, 03:03 PM)
Thanks. I'm gonna go with 205/50/15s.

good choice, but just so you know, the OD of the new tires will be smallers, so better acceleration, however, the rpms will be higher while cruising on the freeway.....not a bad thing.....
Root_Werks
QUOTE (skline @ May 13 2005, 01:45 PM)
Dan Root's new car has 205X50X15's mounted on stock Fuch alloys. They fit nice and really grab the road. I dont know if it can be any better. driving.gif

drooley.gif Miiiiiiiiiiiiiine drooley.gif

205/55/15's are also a nice size for stock rims. Keeps the speedo somewhat accurate. gimme, gimme, gimme! boldblue.gif

I won't sleep tonight and have to drive for 16hours tomorrow! ohmy.gif driving.gif
TravisNeff
I went with 205x55's, last set was 195x60. You might need to shop around to a tire shop that can fit a 205 on a 5.5 inch rim. I was trying to get some done on a sunday which means gas station garages and whatnot, I had to go to a few different places to get someone with the right attachments for their machine. A week later I had some other tires fitted and watched as one guy stood on the tire as the other rotated the mounting machine - tight fit!

Are you running Porsche wheels or aftermarket ones? If you are doing aftermarket you will most likely have trouble with clearance. If you have aftermarkets I would offer out 195x60 as a nice choice.
CptTripps
I have 4-bolt fuchs with 205/50/15s The acceleration is pretty awesome...handeling is amazing...Speedo is WAY off. huh.gif

I went with the BFG g-Force Sport. KICK_ASS tire...for $75ea at Tire Rack...Or FREE from NTB if you do it right! wink.gif
mikelsr
I put 205/50VR-15 Yokohama AVS ES100 (from Tire Rack) on Predinis and they did great on the AX. Now I need to get the my suspension setup correctly.
Joe Ricard
Just one more thng to fog up the whole picture.
205/50-15 street tire fits really nice. not much tire crown.
Kumho Ecsta V700 R is wider and has some crown not terribly bad. Now Hoosier 205/50-15 AS04 is 3/4" wider than Kumhos Nearly as wide as a 225/45-15 Tread section will be 8.3 inches of rubber on the road.
toecutter
I went with the BFG g-Force Sport. KICK_ASS tire...for $75ea at Tire Rack...Or FREE from NTB if you do it right! wink.gif

Um. Free from NTB? That sounds good to me. How is that done?
firstknight13
will 205 50or55 rub cornering on the fronts?? unsure.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (firstknight13 @ May 13 2005, 07:37 PM)
will 205 50or55 rub cornering on the fronts?? unsure.gif

no rubbing on the front, in fact on the 914's, you can actually run a wider rim and tire on the front than you can in the rear wacko.gif
Trekkor
I ran 205/50/15's on my Pedrini's for the last 8 a/x's.
Really good. They're the Yok A032r's.

I put them on my new Westerns today. Wrong backspace by 5/8-3/4 inch. It's o.k. though, got crazy rolled fenders.

Yes, the Hoosier's are a lot wider even though they call them 205's.

Got them on another set of Westerns.

KT
Trekkor
I almost forgot, I took these pics this morning.
They are perfect for you. Compares 205/50/15's on Pedrini's to 165sr15 Michelin's.

KT
Trekkor
Here's the side view...

Look how W-I-D-E the 205's are compared to the stock issue. ohmy.gif

KT
echocanyons
I agree 205/50 15 fits perfectly under the fenders even if you want it to sit real low
914fire
hey trekkor are those peds polished ?
Trekkor
peds polished

Yes, you like? rolleyes.gif

KT
914fire
they look fantastic what media did you use to polish them? beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.