Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: repairing wire in main harness plug
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
I have one wire which needs to be repaired as it has frayed/shorted right before the little cylinder connector in the plug.

What are the wires secured with? Is it just solder that i can remove, repair and replace?
McMark
Not sure what connector your talking about. confused24.gif
clapeza
If you're talking about one of the connectors in the 12 or 14 position plug, yes, the little cylinder is soldered to the wire. Getting the cylinder out is easy with a punch. Getting it back in can be a little finicky.

I had to do this when I discovered the power lead to the fuel pump was nowhere to be found in the engine compartment. A DAPO had eliminated it with the conversion to the single carb. I ran a new wire to the new pump, jacking into the factory plug on the relay board. Now I'm happily back to Djet!
IronHillRestorations
Carefully snap the connector cover off, gently pry up one side with your fingers and it should come off.

The connectors will come right out without a hitch. A de-soldering tool (solder sucker) helps in getting the old solder connection out. If you've never soldered something before, watch some videos on how to solder. You don't want a cold solder joint.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.