Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "to buy or not to buy"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
firstknight13
first i want to thank you in advance!!! ok guys put all your feelings aside and please try to help me out. i'm keeping my "teener" either way so here goes. i have an oppertunity to purchase a 1982 928 automatic fully loaded with 80,000 miles for 6,000. it is NOT a "S". i have known the car for 6= years and is a 3rd owner car. it needs in my opinion a paint job as it was stage-one polycoated and has "fisheyes" the color is black and everything is just about perfect. oh it has leather interior; V-8. your input will be greatly appreciated!!! my wife likes it TOO!!
tat2dphreak
928s are cool in my book... big, fast... if you know the car, and you like the price... don't matter what we think...

I don't like autos though
ArtechnikA
to quote that famous Star Trek episode -- "you may find that having is not so fine a thing as wanting..."

928's are very complicated, electrically, and doesn't have much in the way of onboard diagnostic systems to help you with stuff. i've (almost) always liked them but they can be very expensive and problematic to keep in service.

i'd like to have an S4 but i have to wrap up all my other projects first...

they are awesome cars but they are heavy and powerful, which translates to low mileage, which the auto won't help. they're at least as expensive to repaint as other cars - maybe more if - under the paint you don't like - you start getting into aluminum panel repair.

but if you can afford to keep it going, it seems a decent price. worst-case - as we have seen - they *can* be 914 engine donor cars...
Gint
Just outa curiousity, why did you put this in the Classifieds? This should be in the garage. You'll get a lot more responses there. I can move it if you would l ike me too. PM or email if so.
Gint
Moving per request of the thread owner. driving.gif
J P Stein
I read once that the 928 had 25 electric motors in it.
That's as far as I went.
firstknight13
thank you GINT i reall would like as many opinions as possible to help me weight the pros and cons!!! wink.gif
rick 918-S
There was just an article in Exellence about the current value of the 928. I think the author stated he liked the auto cars better for some reason..... confused24.gif Don't remember. IMHO, the 928 is and always will be a Porsche super car. High maintainance, all the electrical gremlins money can buy, etc. All the problems and high cost of maintianance asside, where are you going to get a cooler looking motor? wub.gif

If it dies of an electrical nervous break down, pull the motor and make a glass top coffee table. Problem solved. smilie_pokal.gif
jim912928
I love my 928. I have an 83S and pretty much use it as my daily driver 8 months out of the year. They get a bum wrap typically from those that have never owned one. If you keep maintenance up on these like any other older car you'll have no problems. I just took mine on a 600 mile business trip and it flew (i mean I averaged between 80-90) non-stop (about 300 miles each way). And I never had a sore back or butt! They love to cruise at high speeds! Oh, and while I was going 90 the sunroof was open and the cd's were playing...and all i heard was music and a nice low rumble of that V8 in the background

In the past 4 years I've put about 60k on mine and the only issue I had was having to rebuild the alternator and I changed the timing belt. Other then that just oil changes and tuneups. You won't regret owning a 928!
bd1308
1.21 Giggawatts!!!!
redshift
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ May 13 2005, 05:54 PM)
928's are very complicated, electrically, and doesn't have much in the way of onboard diagnostic systems to help you with stuff. i've (almost) always liked them but they can be very expensive and problematic to keep in service.

YES.

You could buy a decent ghetto rental house, and restore it, for the same price, but the 928 is going to break again, and as long as you have section 8 housing, you are getting paid..

New, they were smooth space eggs... I'll take mine in a B&B Targa, white.

You want all the goodies to work, but the goodies, like air parts, can cost as much as a running other kind of unnamed car.

smile.gif

M
bd1308
dude have you ever had a space egg omlette? They hit the spot.....it was glowing...kinda like.... ohmy.gif Plutonium!!!! DOH headbang.gif
ejm
next to 914's the 928 was the second Porsche I ever drove..very fast and smooth burnout.gif

there's a shop 15 minutes from Manchester where you'll find the northeast's 928 guru...he may already know the car
joea9146
QUOTE (ejm @ May 15 2005, 07:52 AM)
next to 914's the 928 was the second Porsche I ever drove..very fast and smooth burnout.gif

there's a shop 15 minutes from Manchester where you'll find the northeast's 928 guru...he may already know the car

The Shop Is Musante Motorsports in South Windsor... Take it there to be checked out the
928 guy there is David Lloyd...

http://www.musantemotorsports.com/

jim912928
If you want to talk to me about 928's...feel free to shoot me a pm with your phone number and I'll be happy to talk to you...actually there is an 85 for sale in my town (saw it in the paper this weekend). Don't know the shape but I think they were asking 5,500.

Jim
aircooledboy
I WILL own a 928 one day. Loved 'em since the first time I drove one. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.