Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tachometer differences - electrically
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kansas 914
I have had a silver dot tach in my car for years but when I went to MSD ignition the tach no longer worked, which was not too surprising, but what was surprising to me me that a newer black plastic dot tach worked fine.

How can I get a silver dot tach to work without changing the "guts". I really don't want to add a Tach -Adapt" since I know the newer tach works fine - I just want all my gauges to be the same - Silver Dot.

What is the difference inside to the circuitry?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: MSD 6AL, Mallory distributor and MSD Blaster coil.
Mark Henry

Get a TachAdapt from Bob Ashlock

http://ashlocktech.com/
Mark Henry
Oh you don't want one....well good luck with that.

I have a MSD red box if you want to try it... biggrin.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 23 2017, 03:39 PM) *

Oh you don't want one....well good luck with that.

I have a MSD red box if you want to try it... biggrin.gif

Thanks Mark,

I will probably go ahead and buy one of Bob's tach adapters but adding one more point of failure for me is never a good thing. smile.gif

I am a few weeks from firing up the restoration project and after looking at my gauges I might open them up and paint the needles anyway as they aren't as orange as they should be.
Chris H.
That Tach Adapt is really a great product. Bob is a super nice guy as well. He's been selling them for quite a while.
timothy_nd28
Modify with new guts, I agree with making it look OEM. Glance over my DIY thread for upgrading your tach in my signature.
Spoke
I put a later (black dot) tach guts into my early model face and put the silver dot needle back on. I did this to use the later guts with damping to remove the tach overshoot designed into the 914 tach.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jun 23 2017, 09:44 PM) *

Modify with new guts, I agree with making it look OEM. Glance over my DIY thread for upgrading your tach in my signature.

I will check out your thread - thanks!

EDIT: How did I miss your upgrade thread - brilliant - cheers!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 24 2017, 07:10 AM) *

I put a later (black dot) tach guts into my early model face and put the silver dot needle back on. I did this to use the later guts with damping to remove the tach overshoot designed into the 914 tach.

I will try it since I have to open it up to paint the needle anyway and I have about 5 tachs to play with.
timothy_nd28
It's a pretty good upgrade for 30 some bucks,
Kansas 914
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jun 24 2017, 10:54 AM) *

It's a pretty good upgrade for 30 some bucks,

Already ordered and I will do that to one of my spares - thanks again for the research and the documentation!
timothy_nd28
I may have a extra adapter plate laying around. I'll see if I can dig it up for you after my MCAT exam on Thursday.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jun 24 2017, 11:09 AM) *

I may have a extra adapter plate laying around. I'll see if I can dig it up for you after my MCAT exam on Thursday.

Thanks - I would gladly buy it - I figured that might be the toughest part of the upgrade!

Good luck on the MCAT exam. Focus!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.