Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
srreality
My horn ring/steering wheel came to me in pieces. I've reassembled it several times but the horn blows continuously as soon as I turn the key on. It's a 1973, so does not use the horn contact button. The rubber horn button center support is new. I can't find any bare wire in the wire from the horn contact ring behind the steering wheel. The 3 "horned" attachment piece on the back of the horn ring was missing the small insulating washers, so I used rubber washers from the hardware store, but I'm not sure they are really insulated the attachment screws. What am I missing? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

theer
[quote name='srreality' date='Jun 23 2017, 06:33 PM' post='2499599']
My horn ring/steering wheel came to me in pieces. I've reassembled it several times but the horn blows continuously as soon as I turn the key on. It's a 1973, so does not use the horn contact button. The rubber horn button center support is new. I can't find any bare wire in the wire from the horn contact ring behind the steering wheel. The 3 "horned" attachment piece on the back of the horn ring was missing the small insulating washers, so I used rubber washers from the hardware store, but I'm not sure they are really insulated the attachment screws. What am I missing? :confused

The horn button completes ground. The horn itself may be grounding to the body. Check that first.

Does the horn blow with the pad off and the wire disconnected (and key on) as in the first picture? If so, you are getting ground somewhere along the line.
anderssj
I had this problem a while back--the wire to the horn pad got "pinched" when I installed the pad, creating a constant ground . . . .
wndsnd
It is grounding somewhere. There are two wires, the live and the ground. The horn blows when the button forces a ground. The ground wire is tricky, because the wheel turns. I welded a contact to a washer beneath the nut that holds the wheel. Wheel turns, washer does not. The wire and contact need to be well insulated as to not rub when wheel is turned. Usually means you bend the connector up into the housing. And heat shrink or tape.
wndsnd
Note mine is not stock wheel and hub, but it being grounded is same. Look for the ground.
Dave_Darling
The three-pronged piece really really really really needs to be insulated electrically from the contact piece on the back side of the horn button. The stock insulators are tubes that the mounting screws pass through, so that there isn't even a ground path through the threads of the screws.

My guess is that you haven't insulated the three-pronged part from the contact piece. Verify that with your ohmmeter. If there is any connection, you will have to make some better isolators or just find the stock ones.

Hmmm.... I wonder if Mikey is listening?

--DD
srreality
[quote name='theer' date='Jun 23 2017, 06:17 PM' post='2499625']
[quote name='srreality' date='Jun 23 2017, 06:33 PM' post='2499599']
My horn ring/steering wheel came to me in pieces. I've reassembled it several times but the horn blows continuously as soon as I turn the key on. It's a 1973, so does not use the horn contact button. The rubber horn button center support is new. I can't find any bare wire in the wire from the horn contact ring behind the steering wheel. The 3 "horned" attachment piece on the back of the horn ring was missing the small insulating washers, so I used rubber washers from the hardware store, but I'm not sure they are really insulated the attachment screws. What am I missing? :confused

The horn button completes ground. The horn itself may be grounding to the body. Check that first.

Does the horn blow with the pad off and the wire disconnected (and key on) as in the first picture? If so, you are getting ground somewhere along the line.
[/quote]

Nope. With the wire disconnected, it is silent.
srreality
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 23 2017, 10:16 PM) *

The three-pronged piece really really really really needs to be insulated electrically from the contact piece on the back side of the horn button. The stock insulators are tubes that the mounting screws pass through, so that there isn't even a ground path through the threads of the screws.

My guess is that you haven't insulated the three-pronged part from the contact piece. Verify that with your ohmmeter. If there is any connection, you will have to make some better isolators or just find the stock ones.

Hmmm.... I wonder if Mikey is listening?

--DD

Dave - - - I think you're right. The stock grommets/rubber washers are AWOL, so I need to find another way to insulate those mounting screws. Those two pieces of metal need to be "unconnected" unless the horn ring is depressed. I'll work on that.
bandjoey
I might be off base but is your steering wheel 180' upside down? If Memory serves me the wire hole is on the right side of the wheel.
rhodyguy
Is that electrical tape where the wire goes down the hole? Spliced? That's the longest horn wire i've ever seen.
srreality
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 24 2017, 07:53 AM) *

Is that electrical tape where the wire goes down the hole? Spliced? That's the longest horn wire i've ever seen.

No - - I put it there for extra "padding" where it comes out the hole. No splice, no bare wire.

srreality
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jun 23 2017, 11:25 PM) *

I might be off base but is your steering wheel 180' upside down? If Memory serves me the wire hole is on the right side of the wheel.

The wire from the horn contact ring comes out on the left side....or at least mine does. My horn contact ring fits, but maybe it's from another Porsche model? I think Dave_Darling has the answer.......I need to insulate the 3-horned attachment piece from the metal under it......I need grommets or sleeves on the mounting screws instead of rubber washers............
srreality
piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif

Success! I found some small rubber tubing(sliced thin cross-wise) in my junk drawer that sufficed for a "grommet" around the mounting screws on the 3 horned attachment, plus my rubber washers........voila! No horn, except when I push the horn ring. Shade tree engineering wins again!
theer
Nice!
malcolm2
[quote name='Dave_Darling' date='Jun 23 2017, 11:16 PM' post='2499725']

--DD
[/]

My horn is not blowing all the time, but I am confused. What is the 3 pronged thing you speak of?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.