Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I got my CF lids, now what?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ewdysar
I just got a set of CF lids from Getty. Neal said that I should ask here for any tips about them. I'm planning on painting them to match the car (white) but that won't happen until some time after the flares go on later this summer.

Any special paint to be used?
If I go clear finish for a while, what is needed? How hot do the clear coat hoods in the sun? Any potential damaging effects of the heat?
Can I go clear first then match the paint later?
I've got struts both front and back, mounted to the hinges, anyone using them with the Getty hoods?

Thanks for any experience that you can share...

Eric
Air_Cooled_Nut
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (ewdysar @ May 13 2005, 03:31 PM)
I just got a set of CF lids from Getty. Neal said that I should ask here for any tips about them. I'm planning on painting them to match the car (white) but that won't happen until some time after the flares go on later this summer.

Any special paint to be used?
If I go clear finish for a while, what is needed? How hot do the clear coat hoods in the sun? Any potential damaging effects of the heat?
Can I go clear first then match the paint later?
I've got struts both front and back, mounted to the hinges, anyone using them with the Getty hoods?

Thanks for any experience that you can share...

Eric

if you do not clear coat them, the UV will turn them yellow after a while.......I still need to clear coat mine....

I just bolted mine on...I'm not using any type of strut so it was easy....
ewdysar
I'll take pics, but they're wrapped in heavy plastic, sitting in the back seat of my Model T. As far as I can tell, they look identical to the pictures posted in the Getty CF lid group buy thread... rolleyes.gif
mack914
My CF lids are in place now, so can I just leave them on, drive them around as is and let the fiber rise and then at some point sand and clear coat. I want to know what you CF experts have done. Yes that is a ?????
Mueller
QUOTE (mack914 @ May 13 2005, 04:01 PM)
My CF lids are in place now, so can I just leave them on, drive them around as is and let the fiber rise and then at some point sand and clear coat. I want to know what you CF experts have done. Yes that is a ?????

I'd give Neal a call and double check...I was a little surprised instructions for painting/clearcoating was not included....at least an outline would be nice.........
Allan
QUOTE (ewdysar @ May 13 2005, 03:53 PM)
sitting in the back seat of my Model T.

This is gonna be cool. A Model "T" with carbon fiber lids.
maf914
QUOTE (Headrage @ May 13 2005, 03:28 PM)
QUOTE (ewdysar @ May 13 2005, 03:53 PM)
sitting in the back seat of my Model T.

This is gonna be cool. A Model "T" with carbon fiber lids.

Yeah, then add a set of JP's carbon fiber rims... Now that's what I'm talking about! laugh.gif
Verruckt
QUOTE (ewdysar @ May 13 2005, 04:53 PM)
I'll take pics, but they're wrapped in heavy plastic, sitting in the back seat of my Model T. As far as I can tell, they look identical to the pictures posted in the Getty CF lid group buy thread... rolleyes.gif

Cool! What year and model of T do you have? My grandfather had a touring sedan 4 door. Think it was a 26? When he passed away it was about 98% done, we just finished up the interior. He already had all the pieces. I had to order a book to learn how to drive it! Lol that was fun. Brakes sucked bad though...
ewdysar
Mine's a '16 Touring, 3 doors (no driver's door) convertible top. Funny that you said the brakes suck, to be more precise, you should have said the brake sucks. There's only one from the factory and it's in the transmission. That said, T's are pretty durable, most people's problems with them today are related to aftermarket mods (improvements?), like waterpumps (didn't come with 'em), distributors (didn't come with 'em) roller axle bearings (you know by now) foot throttles, etc. etc. A surprising number of these cars still run just like they were built and there are still unmolested ones to be found...
Verruckt
QUOTE (ewdysar @ May 14 2005, 08:27 AM)
Mine's a '16 Touring, 3 doors (no driver's door) convertible top. Funny that you said the brakes suck, to be more precise, you should have said the brake sucks. There's only one from the factory and it's in the transmission. That said, T's are pretty durable, most people's problems with them today are related to aftermarket mods (improvements?), like waterpumps (didn't come with 'em), distributors (didn't come with 'em) roller axle bearings (you know by now) foot throttles, etc. etc. A surprising number of these cars still run just like they were built and there are still unmolested ones to be found...

I forgot about that... yes, 3 doors. And the "brake" was a strap around a drum if i remember right. It worked, just not well... laugh.gif

My grandmother eventually sold it to a collector in Seattle. Was a nice car.

Anyway, sorry for the threadjack. Back to CF biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.