Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions about rear trunk hinges & pivots
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanpaulmc
Here are some pictures of the rear trunk pivots in the 914 I bought. It looks like a few people have been in there before, but I don't know what it should look like. Although it is working as of now, I want to plan this repair before it goes bad.

Would someone post a picture what this should look like originally?
And, would someone post pictures of the JWest trunk pivots installed?
Are there other options? JWest shows out of stock.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks in advance.
seanpaulmc
poke.gif

McMark
They looks exactly like that...only welded and not broken. confused24.gif

What are you trying to figure out?

The weld in repair process is to pull the rear trunk lid and hinges, grind/cut the old mounts out. Clean the metal and prep for welding. Reinstall the trunk lid and hinges (in the middle of their adjustment, no springs) and align the hood to the body (a friend helps). Then tack weld the new brackets into place, remove the hood and hinges again and do the final welding. Primer and paint and reassemble.
aggiezig
See: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2474896
ConeDodger
I have a set of the jWest ones. I just saw them today. Not installed though, because Original Customs repaired the repair to mine. Seems welds shouldn't look like a chicken shit there... McMark must not have been able to stand it either because he just did it without being asked! blink.gif
Rand
If your trunk lid is still aligned well, I'd just wire wheel it clean, treat with Ospho, and weld it in place. A few spot welds will secure it and hold for decades.
seanpaulmc
Are these rear trunk hinges salvageable? The small linkage is broken (both sides of the car) and disconnected from the main part of the hinge, and on the driver's side the pin on the hinge where the roller for the torsion bar rests is very heavily grooved. It is unlikely a new roller can be put on this pin in this condition.

The torsion bars for holding up the trunk are disconnected was hoping to get them reconnected until seeing all this.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Update on the original question here is no I have not yet addressed the hinge pivots. If you look at the earlier pictures you can see they are screwed in place - the cups have no tack welds holding them. The trunk lid seems level and adjusted well enough. Cleaning and tack welding the pivots in place seems to be a good course of action as I need to also do the same the to the driver's side L-bracket for the engine lid.

My questions are:
1. Can these broken hinge links be repaired?
2. What to do about the worn out pin?
seanpaulmc
Wanted to update my own thread with the findings and fix for the trunk hinges I found on my car.

These are stromberg.gif

Click to view attachment

Since originally posting this I'd say I'm not afraid of welding in new stock hinge brackets after having fixed some of my tin, repaired the passenger side jack point, and welded in supports for a front sway bar. However, I had bought these JWest trunk hinges when the popped up in the for sale section a while back and have now gotten around to installing them.

These are outstanding!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Now to steel myself for the dreaded torsion bars.

Montreal914
Nice!

Don't forget to install the stopper plate! sad.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ May 6 2022, 07:20 AM) *

Nice!

Don't forget to install the stopper plate! sad.gif

agree.gif

Also make sure your stopper plates don't allow the hinge to contact the grill. Most (like mine) have worn just enough the hinge puts pressure on the little grills.
rgalla9146
I maintain that a proper repair of these is best done with the engine out, especially
if original appearance and function are important.
Most of us are not able to weld upsidedown....at crotch level... in tight quarters....
with fuel lines nearby....and no absolutes for position.
Just sayin'
Olympic 914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 6 2022, 08:08 PM) *

I maintain that a proper repair of these is best done with the engine out, especially
Most of us are not able to weld upsidedown....at crotch level... in tight quarters....
with fuel lines for nearby....and no absolutes for position.
Just sayin'

agree.gif
targa72e
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 6 2022, 06:08 PM) *

with fuel lines nearby....and no absolutes for position.
Just sayin'

or has the potential to make for a really exciting day smile.gif

john
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.