Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can a sportomatic tranny handle the higher hp motors?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
funk
I know the sporto was made for a 2.0 flat six and I have heard varying reviews to the enjoy ability and more so performance. some saying it made a dud out of certain models?
I know sacrilege to the beast? so it made me thing how a sporto would be to drive with say a 2.7 s all ported out and outperforming any of the stock touring sixes but would you have to heavily modify the tranny and such? This must be where LSD and such come in handy? I have nerve damage in my feet so clutching it is getting painful to say the least?just looking for opinions and knowledge? thanks,Jo
funk
well I just answered my question. I see that there are factory 2.7 s with sportos? but how do they perform? I couldn't find a 3.0 from factory with sportos I think once the 3.0 came out it was a new ball game for the transmissions?
Gustl
The Sportomatic transmission was used from the factory from 1968 up to 1980.
So there are various types that would work with various engines (power).
From my best knowledge, the 925/16 tranny would work with the highest power.
flyer86d
Two PCA members that I knew each had Sportomatic cars with larger engines. One had a 1977 european Carrera 3.0 Sportomatic. He changed the original 3 speed Sportomatic to an earlier 4 speed Sportomatic and autocrossed the car extensively. The other was a member with an early 3 liter 930 that he had changed to a Sportomatic. He tracked the car quite a bit.

Charlie
infraredcalvin
Some good info here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...portomatic.html
stownsen914
There are 901-based sportomatics and 915 based sportomatics. I suspect the torque limits would be similar to the trans on which there were based.

There was a guy back in the late 70s or early 80s who raced a sportomatic 911 in IMSA, believe it or not. I guess it can be done.

Scott
bdstone914
What engine are you running? Why would you want one? They are not popular with 911 guys. They require cooling which is handled through the oil tank on a 6.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.