Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Present to Myself
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
Just got back from the platers shop.

I've got a little side project going. These are going on the front of the taildragger. I may go with the yellow lenses as well. I'm rebuilding some for the teener as well but they won't be chrome.

For those who want to dig in and restore your fogs, I'll put together a complete "How-To" stay tuned...
Joe Bob
FOGS? I say BOY....FOGS.........woooohooo...
Gonna get ya fer the Lucky GF thing, Eric.... pray.gif

user posted image
soloracer
Nice headlights........oh and the fog lights look good too Eric.........
Doug Leggins
Daaaaammmn those look good!!

Of course I had to look wink.gif

Much better plating than from a plater that I know - LOL
redshift
ohmy.gif
Qarl
I know a place that will actually resilver the reflectors instead of chroming them. Much brighter and more reflective...

Expensive though....
Grimstead
You okay there Eric? You look like you've let yourself go...
TravisNeff
At least he did us a favor and didn't snap those pics naked...
Rotary'14
ROTFL!! laugh.gif agree.gif
redshift
QUOTE (Qarl @ May 13 2005, 11:59 PM)
I know a place that will actually resilver the reflectors instead of chroming them. Much brighter and more reflective...

Expensive though....

idea.gif Karl, I think I can do that.

I have a complete metal shop that hardly gets any use, and a decent sized plating rig.

Anyone for 22k gold? laugh.gif

M
Eric_Shea
Yeah Bill... haven't been to the gym lately sad.gif New Birthday resolution! biggrin.gif

Now everyone knows I have:

A yellow Kitchen
A pot rack over the counter
Oak cabinets
A two story house
A big fat belly
Oak bar stools

And a wife that lets me put auto parts on the kitchen counter. But hey, when they look like that... no problem. They're cleaner than her dishes (she's good with the lawn but dishes and laundry are not her forte)

Yeah Qarl, I thought about that but... I felt the chrome was a better finish than "any" of the stock pieces I had around here. I still have to take the Dremel to them and polish the insides. They mentioned that they couldn't get in there real easily with their buffer. Given the output of these (55w at best) I really didn't think they'd be blowing candle power into the next county.

$40.00 smilie_pokal.gif mueba.gif (Mueba for you my little Floridian buddy)
Eric_Shea
At least he did us a favor and didn't snap those pics naked

Now ya got me thinkin... "Sparky" would be HUGE if I did that.

BRB w00t.gif
Katmanken
Quarl, Re-silver reflectors?

I play with telescope mirrors and they don't silver those suckers anymore..

Use vapor deposited aluminum and transparent sealing coatings....Plenty good reflection.....

Process is: Put parts in a vacuum container, zap some aluminum wire with high voltage to vaporize it and it mists aluminum vapor all over on your parts.

Mebbe some telescope oriented shop that re-coats mirrors would be another source for coating.

Reflectance is also largely determined by surface finish. Gotta pollsh the surface waaay down for efficiency....

Hey! That reminds me, I bought a very high voltage power supply from work made specifically for sputtering coatings in a vacuuum..... Stuck it into a corner of the garage and forgot about it... What was I gonnna do with that again? blink.gif

Ken
Eric_Shea
What was I gonnna do with that again?

My remaining reflectors of course... huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.