Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch cable questions???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike_the_man
Hi all,

Driving home yesterday my clutch pedal hit the floor and didn't come up. Upon closer inspection, it looks like the nut on the threaded portion of the clutch cable that attaches to the transmission throw out arm had popped off. If I tightened it, it would just slide off. My question is this? What size is the threaded portion that attaches to the throw out arm? It looks like the nut that was on there wasn't the right size, and worked its way loose. I bought an assortment of nuts today, but none seemed to fit right. Does anybody know what size I need?

Thanks,

John
IIRC (If I recall Correctly),

The clutch cable threads at the throwout arm are 7mm threads, standard pitch. I know they use an 11mm wrench, so I'm pretty sure they are 7mm threads.

7mm seems to be slightly non-standard when it comes time to byu nuts or bolts of this size. A good fastener supply house will be able to get you what you need.

I double nut that to prevent them from backing off.

Good luck.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ May 13 2005, 09:40 PM)

I double nut that to prevent them from backing off.

agree.gif

And if the nut is gone, most likely you lost the the metal stop/retainer that sits in the "yoke" of the clutch fork. When you find the time, it would be good to replace it also.
mike_the_man
The metal stop/retainer thingy is still there. The nut didn't come off completely, it just slid most of the way down the threaded shaft.

Finding a 7mm nut around here could be little tricky. I'll have to see what I can come up with. idea.gif

Thanks guys!

ArtechnikA
QUOTE (mike_the_man @ May 14 2005, 05:09 AM)
Finding a 7mm nut around here could be little tricky.

FLAPSs and hardware stores are starting to stock a decent selection of metric stuff although i've not yet seen 7mm just sitting in a bin. i'm pretty sure i've seen 7mm taps tho...
scotty914
yup if you put an 8 mm nut on there it will hold... for a little till it slips
9144guy
it is a 7 mil i have a bin full of them at work
Cap'n Krusty
It is, indeed, 7mm. Also used on the rocker stands. If you have a spare T4 motor available, you can rob a couple of those until you can get one elsewhere. You should have a nyloc, but 2 regular nuts will work just fine. The Cap'n
firstknight13
try sears hardware the ones around here have everything!!!
mike_the_man
No spare T4s kicking around. Darn! biggrin.gif I'll see what I can find around here, although I'm not expecting much. 9144guy, would you be interested in sending me a couple out of your bin? smile.gif
Porsche Rescue
Are there "Ace" hardware stores or something similar in Regina? They have a full assortment of metric hardware, far more than any autoparts store.
double-a
agree.gif

there's an "a-boy hardware" nearby, like a mile away from our house. i think it's just an ace store with a different name. i've spent gobs of $$ buying stainless bits, they usually have what i'm looking for, in differet sizes and thread pitches even.

~a
mike_the_man
I managed to find some today, at Rona (Canadian version of Home Depot) of all places. I was surprised, but happy. Took the car for a spin in the rain this afternoon.
cool.gif

Dave_Darling
I disagree with the Cap'n's contention that a Nyloc is the "right" sort of nut to use. When I used an M7 Nyloc (those are pretty tough to find!) it started loosening itself within two weeks. I changed out the Nyloc to two regular M7 nuts and tightened them against each other ("double-nutted it") and no slippage.

BTW, I found that the M8 nuts would last about half of one clutch application. Press the pedal about halfway down, and PING! They get launched off of the cable end and the pedal goes straight to the floor. Never did find those buggers, either!!

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.