Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: five lug conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grasshopper
ok, i have a 70 911, and the front suspension is shot, but i want to take the hubs and brakes, and switch them to the teener. what stuff do i need to take off to make it work, in front and back. I know i need the E-brake stuff, but dont know exactly what else. Thanks again!
skline
You are going to atleast take the whole strut from the 911. They are different but will bolt onto the 914 control arms. Then you can use the brakes and everything. The rear isnt going to help you much.
MattR
How is the suspension shot? Was it run without bushings? A-arms bent? Or does it just need a full overhaul (bushings, bearings, struts)?
Aaron Cox
i have a 72T front end on mine. m calipers.

dude
nab the whole 911 setup. bigger t bars stock (19 vs 17mm) and just do new bushings,bearings,balljoints, etc. everything.
Joe Bob
Ya ...the early stuff from the 911 will fit...then yer gonna get the itty bitty 911 brakes versus the later SC and Carrera biotch from the board.....

If it's FREE...go for it. Don't pay for it.
YMMV
TravisNeff
You can either take just the stuts off (with brakes) the 911 and put it on you 914, if you have a later than 72 teener you will need early ball joints. Or drop the whole front end, steering rack and all - that will be the easiest way to go as one piece. You'll need to steal the wheels of course and change to 5 lug hubs in the rear along with new rear wheel bearings.
Leo Imperial
Whats the max rim you can fit with that setup...without putting on flares?
cametal
With the rear fenders rolled out some I have 15x7 with 205-50-15 tires all around.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (cametal @ May 13 2005, 09:14 PM)
With the rear fenders rolled out some I have 15x7 with 205-50-15 tires all around.

i have 205/50/15 on 6" fuchs with no rolling
TravisNeff
6" should fit without any mods and if you use a 205x55x16 tire (and 16" wheels) your speedo will be just about dead nuts on.
Mueller
QUOTE (Leo Imperial @ May 13 2005, 09:09 PM)
Whats the max rim you can fit with that setup...without putting on flares?

4 lug or 5 lug setups have no differance in what the max rim/tire width can be run...the track is the same...the only difference is that the 5 lug rims have more readily available options for rims...

for rear, 7" rim on stock fenders, 8" if you pull/bump them out some (depending on offset of rims, some will just need a little "tweaking", others will need more)

for the front, 7" no problem, if the correct offset, an 8" wide rim fits nicely, I had 23mm offset 16x8s on the front (and the rear) of my 914 with no big problems for the front

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.