Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake upgrades
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I had some brake problems at the WCC track day. Got brake fade and was bummed. headbang.gif

Now I have Porterfield race pads for the front and rear.
Motul brake fluid.
Rebuilt calipers and a "tee" to replace the prop valve.

I got the fronts on tonight.
Rears are off and ready for rebuilding.

I can't wait to take this car deep into the a/x turns at ridiculous speeds.

I need to bring up my 914Cup average. wink.gif

KT
Joe Bob
Take it to an empty parking lot and do some practice......or go on a twisty downhill...
Aaron Cox
get some vented rotors yet? wink.gif
John
trekkor,

The problem you are having is caused by your excessive use of the center pedal. Use it less, and your problems will fade away....

I use the ATE super blue brake fluid and have had good luck with it.

What I have found though, is that you need to get lots of cooling air in to your brakes. If you are running much of a front air dam, you effectively are cooking your brakes due to poor airflow.

Without a front airdam, you could use the cool brakes (ducts mounted to your a-arms). With a front airdam, you need to come up with a solution to get air in there.

Our track car now has 3" hoses leading from where the fog lights used to be, through the trunk and out to the wheelwells as close to the bulkhead as I could get them. In the wheelwells, I have 2" hoses leading to the coolbrake brake ducts. I no longer get any brake fade. I run 930 brakes up front (which doesn't hurt). Heck, I may need to get heaters to warm them up.
TravisNeff
Sounds like a good path to better braking! It was probably my fat ass that was causing the extra work on the brakes. Andy said his monster 3.6 was all over the track with me in the passenger seat. Of course he first said, hey Travis - how much do you weigh? heh
Trekkor
If you are running much of a front air dam

dry.gif

yeah, we got one of those...

I'll work it out before the next track day.

KT
scotty914
i run 320i fronts with stock rears, and i have never removed my prop valve. at the wcc i had 2 year old ate fluid that i bled ( just enough to get air out ) with castrol lma fluid and i did not have any brake fade. i dont know if that is due to my lack of use of the brakes... no i used them i lot, i was doing 100 mph at the end of the straight.

as for pads i was running pagid front pads, that i found out when the get warm they sweak, but it goes away once the got hot. my rear pads are just what i could get at a local brake place in lancaster.
TravisNeff
Scott, didn't you replace your pads at the track at the WCC? or was that the off the shelf stuff you are talking about?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.