Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgiroux67
Ok one of my rear calipers has 2 bleeders and the other only has 1. Is that what is supposed to be or are they a mismatched set of calipers? Does it realy matter?
swood
Well if you think about it, air bubbles tend to rise and if you bled them from the top, you should be able to get the air out. Air out from the bottom, she no work so well.

HTH
SLITS
Mechanically the same. Single bleeder was used up to early '73 I think. In their minds they decided a 2nd bleeder on the bottom for some purpose.

One of the caliper remanufacturers actually takes a single and converts it to dual by drilling the other bleeder.
jgiroux67
So I have one early and one late rear caliper?
SLITS
QUOTE (jgiroux67 @ May 13 2005, 10:18 PM)
So I have one early and one late rear caliper?

Yep and it ain't that uncommon.
Eric_Shea
You should have a little more than bleeder differences. The 70-72 calipers have single bleeders and through bolts with 11mm nuts on the backs. 73-76 have dual bleeders and the front of the caliper is threaded (no nuts... kinda like my dog). I have see two of what I call "transition" calipers where they have single bleeders and threaded fronts...

You probably have one old style and one new style. When cars have 30+ years on them you stand to see all sorts of things.

There's internal differences as well... the adjuster screws are thicker on the later models.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.