Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eastwood Stripping Tool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Highland
I was just wondering if anyone has ever used this tool. The demo videos make it seem very easy to strip a car of unwanted old paint.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-contour-sct.html
cn2800
I wonder if it works well for undercoating.
rgalla9146
Check out the cost of the various abrasive drums.
mepstein
We have one at the shop. It works pretty well but tools always look better in the manufacturers videos.
john77
I was looking at the sct but decided against it because the drums were so damn expensive. Ended up getting a Porter Cable restorer instead. It's pretty much the same thing, only it's half the price and the black stripping drums are $20 instead of $60. I stripped 3/4 of a car last year using drills, angle grinders, air grinders, and every type of attachment imaginable and the quick test I did with the restorer took paint off better than anything I've ever used before. Not saying it's a miracle cure, it still takes time, but I was impressed with how quick it tore through paint and a layer of bondo down to bare metal.
mgphoto
Wurth DBS 3600, a bit pricey.
Many different brushes.Click to view attachment
Other vendors have the same unit priced less. Dent-Fix
Mike
Highland
Thanks for all the input.

The Porter seems like a more affordable option.

Eastwood says you can do a small car like the 914 with 2 black drums. I was expecting more like 10+ drums. Does 2 or 3 sound reasonable?
Garland
I think that would depend on how much paint has been put on the car.
restore2seater
The guy is a little long winded but might want to check this review.
Porter-Cable vs. Eastwood SCT
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 26 2017, 09:59 PM) *

Check out the cost of the various abrasive drums.

Not to mention the possibility of going through one of those drums every fifteen minutes or so... blink.gif
Matty900
I used the Eastwood pneumatic Rotary Removal tool last Friday to do this. I would highly recommend it if you have a compressor to run it off of (7CFM [100L/min]
It was great for getting through all of that seam sealer.
914forme
Dynabrade - DynaZip

Less than the Worth, more than the Eastwood, Eastwood did not have theirs out when I purchased this unit.

Click to view attachment

Use it all the time, cleans up welds if your using flux-core, which I only do on large thick metals. Strips seams sealer like, it is not even there, only tool I have found that does that. It will just cut into it, and start flinging little bits of it, until you are down to clean metal and have a huge pile of that seam sealer on the floor.

Undercoating, not an issue

Proper tool for the job, I need to start a business just to cover my tool costs, as a hobby this is way to expensive. dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.