Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's getting stiffer..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
I've been noticing lately that the shifting in the 914 is getting stiff and the gears seem harder to get into. It's also more noticable when it's warm out, so shifting tends to be easier when it's cold outside. Could this be the tranny fluid? I'm pretty sure my transmission fluid is old. Should I purchase some Swepco fluid?
redshift
Yes.

Use whatever brand you want, but yeah, sounds like it's beyond a service, or two.

M
scotty914
drain what is in there and run some dyno for a little ( 100 miles or so ) to flush it. then add fluid of choice.

when you do both drains look at the drain plug for metal filings

edit: check you bushing they could be getting old and mushy, they might get worse when warm
Rand
If it's old, change the xmission oil. Swepco is good. Then, check shift linkage adjustments and the linkage parts that are prone to wear.
Hammy
Dyno?
Aaron Cox
i think he meant 'dino' as in 'ground up dinosaur' aka NON synthetic gear lube. 90w IIRC.

castrol works fine for me wink.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Gear oil doesn't get old, nor does it wear out. You guys read too many ads and spend too much time on the internet. Look at the shift rod bushings, and check the motor and trans mounts, as well as the bolts that hold the mounts to the engine. The engine laying on the shift rod will make it hard to shift. FUNDAMENTALS! If you're gonna buy oil(despite the facts), be sure you get straight "GL5". No mixes, no blends, no "one size fits all" oils, and NO "GL4". The Cap'n
scruz914
There are several things that could be wrong throughout the clutch and shifting paths. I didn't find out what my problem was until I pulled the engine and trans apart. I had the same symptoms as you at first. The problem got worse over time until pushing in the clutch pedal would not disengage the clutch at all. It turned out to be a broken throwout arm pivot pin. My guess is that early on the retainer clip split which allowed the throwout arm to slowly move off center until the pressure finally broke the pin. You might take a look at where the arm exits the bell housing and attaches to the clutch cable. It should be centered in the opening. If it is noticeably off center or loose something is wrong inside.

The pivot pin sits under the arm in the area of the circle in the photo.

Like I said though, there are several things that could be wrong. You just have to go through them one by one.
bd1308
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ May 14 2005, 12:26 AM)
Gear oil doesn't get old, nor does it wear out. You guys read too many ads and spend too much time on the internet. Look at the shift rod bushings, and check the motor and trans mounts, as well as the bolts that hold the mounts to the engine. The engine laying on the shift rod will make it hard to shift. FUNDAMENTALS! If you're gonna buy oil(despite the facts), be sure you get straight "GL5". No mixes, no blends, no "one size fits all" oils, and NO "GL4". The Cap'n

it sure does effin smell though.....i checked the level in my jeep(when i had it) and there was water and gear oil mixed togteher...smelled to high ehaven and since i got most of it stuck in the crossmember, it stayed with me whereever i went for like a month....
redshift
Britt? Didn't your shifting trouble turn out to be your points?

laugh.gif

M
Brando
QUOTE (redshift @ May 14 2005, 07:58 AM)
Britt? Didn't your shifting trouble turn out to be your points?

laugh.gif

M

lol2.gif Zing!
Rand
Gear oil doesn't get old, nor does it wear out.

Everything gets old (some get Krusty biggrin.gif ).... or at least contaminated. There's parts in there, wearing on each other. Guaranteed, that oil doesn't look the same as it did when it was poured in there. Changing the oil is worth doing... at least once every 30 years or so. wink.gif
tracks914
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ May 13 2005, 10:26 PM)
, be sure you get straight "GL5". No mixes, no blends, no "one size fits all" oils, and NO "GL4". The Cap'n

Elaborate on that one will ya. Please. rolleyes.gif
My manual just says use SAE 90 gear oil.
bd1308
yea man....check your points and lube them with 90 weight gear oil.....go ahead and floss your CV joingts too....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.