Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swaybar Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rotary'14
I've been searching,,

Why do some people dislike the later model 911 front under body swaybar? What are some of the disadvantages compared to the regular 914 style swaybar?

-Rob
Aaron Cox
compared to an aftermarket bar... its not adjustable.....
Mueller
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ May 13 2005, 10:11 PM)
compared to an aftermarket bar... its not adjustable.....

ditto....also, the mounts to the a-arm are totally different, you have to have the specific 911 a-arms or make up some custom mounts.....I think for Porsche, it was a cheaper alternative to the thru the body style...I also think the under-body bar is less "friendly" towards lowered cars due the change in the geometry....

TravisNeff
Along with not being adjustable and quite large (22mm?) most people had a hard time getting rid of the understeer. However, people are returning to rear swaybars and are not so scare of using heavier springs than 140's of yesteryear
SLITS
The bent spring steel bars tend to have a neccessity of having a larger diameter to acheive the same roll resistance as a straight bar with horizontal arms. For a given wheel movement, the bent underbody bars see less torsion twist the the other style..............Or so was I taught.

The ideal pickup point of a drop link on a bar is as close to the balljoint as possible, with the droplink in a perfect vertical plane with the arm of the bar. This cannot really be duplicted with the underbody type.

There is no means of setting/elimination of preload of the underbody bar, 'cept ride height.

All that said, the underbody bar on a later eleben front end works just great on a teener. Oops, forgot....it really only works with the suspension it was designed with.

Wanna play racer? Buy an aftermarket adjustable.
Rotary'14
Thanks for clearing that up for me fellas, I guess it's time to look for a good front swaybar set up. wacko.gif
Gint
Look at engman's rear bar reinforcement plates that he sells. You need to do something like that where the bar mounts to the front trunk floor (the obligatory chassis mount), or you will more than likely end up with stress cracking of the trunk floor pan. There are people that will say it doesn't happen, but I've seen it myself on several 914's (including a couple of my own).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.