Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how would you ship something 40x48x8 33 lbs ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
ups is saying GROUND $192 sterling va to tuscon az

gonna see if my company's ups discount bring this down at all once i have a complete ship to address.

jim
9146GUY
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jun 27 2017, 09:58 AM) *

ups is saying GROUND $192 sterling va to tuscon az

gonna see if my company's ups discount bring this down at all once i have a complete ship to address.

jim

Try truck freight like R&L. Watch out that don't try to add tailgate service if it's residential.
Unobtanium-inc
If it is anything breakable do not send it truck freight, or Greyhound, both are butchers when it comes to shipping.
FEDEX Ground usually beats UPS by about 5-10% but that might be negated by your company discount. Either way you are paying the dimensional weight, meaning it's big.
UPS is probably your best bet.
Coondog
Hopefully this link will help you with your shipping needs.

https://youtu.be/89frRi8GgGA
michael7810
Shipping a 901 tranny across the country via Fedex was $95 a couple years ago.
Tom_T
Jim,

My company discount is probably about the same % as yours, but the bigger thing is to reduce the combined 3 dimensions to get the cost down - if you can with the item, or if multiple items it may be less in 2 separate smaller 3x dims. boxes - or if you can cut down the padding materials some for the reduced 3x dims. box size, without compromising the item's safety.

My biz doesn't find FedEx Ground any cheaper than UPS, usually more (with each's respective biz discount).

You can also save a bit by dropping the item off at UPS.

I agree with others on the truck & Greyhound services on anything fragile .... or even not so fragile, as in cementuous siding, roofing tiles, etc. getting busted up by the trucking companies! dry.gif

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
Mikey914
Fedex. With a discount it will be more palatable. The key is to figure out how not to get into the 2nd oversize.

mepstein
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jun 27 2017, 10:43 AM) *

Shipping a 901 tranny across the country via Fedex was $95 a couple years ago.

Still is with fedex. Or at least pretty close.
Jim - open up a FedEx acct. it's free and will save you money even if you only use it once in a while. I use it all the time.

Also, for some reason, actual shipping cost is often less than the online estimate so swing buy your local FedEx store if you want to be sure on the big items.

No way do I mess with greyhound and I won't take shipments from them since I have to drive into the city and park. 2 hour round trip by the time I'm done.
jimkelly
nothing i can do about dims : (

taking it to fedex to get a quote right now.
mepstein
Mine was sent to me only wrapped in bubble wrap. Cost about $55 to ship from Ohio.
My 914
unfortunately, those large packages drive up the cost.
PotterPorsche
yrc dimensional weight quote

http://yrc.com/about/news-articles/yrc-fre...nal-rate-quote/
rhodyguy
Hard to break that one. biggrin.gif shipping is what it is.
jimkelly
would rather be using it on MY car but i need to fun d a microsquirt and a exhaust header for my conversion and this is the best way to do that sad.gif

jdunn
You can try Fastenal 3PL (3rd party logistics). They ship from one Fastenal store to another on a space available basis. They also require items to be crated, but will ship uncrated without insurance (so you are taking a risk if uncrated). Very reasonable on large items, not as sure about smaller items? I've shipped several times, always happy with service, and especially price!

BTW, I shipped a rare Lotus Esprit cast iron turbo exhaust manifold from MS to FL via UPS, packed by their facility, and fully insured for $800 (somewhat less than mkt value at the time). It arrived in Jacksonville totally destroyed, as though a road grater ran over it. I fought UPS for over a year, and they have never honored the claim. If possible, I will never deal with these UPS jerks again.

Good luck!
Jack
flmont
Hmm Wrapped in bubble wrap,..how safe is that I wonder look's beefy enough,.??
jimkelly
wrap won't change dimensions by enough to matter.

distance seems to be the second criteria that plays a equally important role..

jimkelly
looking forward to seeing this build smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(flmont @ Jun 27 2017, 08:40 PM) *

Hmm Wrapped in bubble wrap,..how safe is that I wonder look's beefy enough,.??

A cardboard box does very little either. I think they might actually treat it better when it's an awkward shaped part. Since receiving the mount (same as Jim's) I've send quite a few things in just bubble wrap and it's worked so far.

The best way to send something is to let the buyer take care of shipping so it's on them. I do this now with engines and trans. I just strap to a pallet and wrap.
I sold $35k of palleted 911 engines, trans and two 5x5x5 foot boxes of 356 heads and cases. The buyer took care of shipping and the shipping co. lost everything. Buyer then had to take care of the claim - he was reimbursed. All that stuff must be in a depot somewhere ...
My 914
QUOTE(jdunn @ Jun 27 2017, 07:42 PM) *

You can try Fastenal 3PL (3rd party logistics). They ship from one Fastenal store to another on a space available basis. They also require items to be crated, but will ship uncrated without insurance (so you are taking a risk if uncrated). Very reasonable on large items, not as sure about smaller items? I've shipped several times, always happy with service, and especially price!

BTW, I shipped a rare Lotus Esprit cast iron turbo exhaust manifold from MS to FL via UPS, packed by their facility, and fully insured for $800 (somewhat less than mkt value at the time). It arrived in Jacksonville totally destroyed, as though a road grater ran over it. I fought UPS for over a year, and they have never honored the claim. If possible, I will never deal with these UPS jerks again.

Good luck!
Jack

Funny how shipping works. You can ship a 914 fully insured across a few states for that much as well!
flat4guy
I shipped a roll bar and it was cheap through Greyhound.
jdunn
QUOTE(jdunn @ Jun 27 2017, 06:42 PM) *

Good luck!
Jack

Note: The Esprit exhaust manifold was insured for an $800 value. The actual shipping cost from MS to FL was about $80 iirc. Sorry I wasn't clear about this in my post.

Also, I think Fastenal is an attractive option for your roll bar. "Crating" just means build a wood box around the item. It is easiest to strap the roll bar to a pallet and build a wood box around it. You will be surprised how cheap it is to ship via Fastenal.
My 914
Thanks for that suggestion. I didn't realize they did shipping as well.
Al Meredith
I have used "www.engineshipping.com" 800-998-2100 . to ship 914 engines and heavy stuff all over the country. They make it VERY easy. They email you the preprinted paperwork and you take it to Fed EX . You pay them PayPal or Credit card
Try them I've been very satisfied with their service. AL
mepstein
QUOTE(jdunn @ Jun 28 2017, 08:38 PM) *

QUOTE(jdunn @ Jun 27 2017, 06:42 PM) *

Good luck!
Jack

Note: The Esprit exhaust manifold was insured for an $800 value. The actual shipping cost from MS to FL was about $80 iirc. Sorry I wasn't clear about this in my post.

Also, I think Fastenal is an attractive option for your roll bar. "Crating" just means build a wood box around the item. It is easiest to strap the roll bar to a pallet and build a wood box around it. You will be surprised how cheap it is to ship via Fastenal.

Good to know. There's one in the industrial park where I work. Unfortunately, they rarely have what I need and there employees are pretty clueless.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.