Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Color for a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
Thanks to CptTripps I am hopefully going to be the owner of a 914 next week. The car is currently primed and almost ready to paint and I have been looking at all car colors to see what I like the best? What is the nicest color you have seen on a 914, or any car for that matter? Pics appreciated.
CptTripps
The one and only place to look at them all...

http://homepage.mac.com/markd/914/colors.html

McMark has done an awesome job of putting it all together, and making sure there are lots of great photos of every color...

If *I* were to paint Adobe...I'd do either...

Olympic Blue

user posted image

Ravenna Green
user posted image

Metallic Silver
user posted image

Keep in mind that "Adobe's" TRUE (badged) color is Sunflower Yellow.

user posted image

In the end...it's all personal!
Verruckt
Delphi Green, or Arctic Silver... wub.gif
michel richard
I like Malaga Red, Adriatic Blue, Ravena Green, Pale Ivory (latter is not on the site).
J P Stein
I'd show ya a pic of this out in the sun except:

1) it would fry your moniter
2) We don't have sun here any more
BIGKAT_83
Painting my new 914 this color conda green. I like them bright.

BIGKAT_83
JP your car looks great!!!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
spare time toys
I like a nice dark red with a grey stripe
jim912928
Arctic Silver....way too cool IMHO!
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (J P Stein @ May 14 2005, 07:26 AM)
I'd show ya a pic of this out in the sun except:

1) it would fry your moniter
2) We don't have sun here any more

JP,

Your car looks bad.
I mean it looks good. biggrin.gif

Looks BAD! ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

Bleyseng
Hard to beat Orange!
Bleyseng
nuther orange car!
boxstr
Naked is good....
CCLINNUDIE
boxstr
Why settle for just one color???
CCLINPAINTBYNUMBER
9146R
My local dealer let me take home the old (archived) color catalogs from 1970 - 1995 or so...was a blast looking thru the changing tastes and factory preferences. I finally chose Cobalt Blue Metallic (1991 Porsche color #37 U). Talk to your body about whether he can blend/find your preferred "old" color in the newer paint compounds. Spend a few extra bucks and get a good shop to paint your car.
bondo
Cool! Good to see my old 914 is finally going to get new paint! Let me know if you have any questions about what has/hasn't been done.

Here's a few that have been done:

front brakes
rear brakes
rear brake flex lines
all new shifter bushings
injector seals
plugs
valve adjustment (although it's probably due for another)

Here's a few that I hadn't yet done but would if I had continued restoring it:
plug wires
pedal cluster
1st gear syncro
paint (looks like you intend to take care of this one in short order)

Glad to see it's going to a good home.. I miss it already! smile.gif

Gustl
I like Ravenna Green and Signal Orange (both shown above)
but I also like Metallic Blue (available at additional cost)
Michael J
The nice thing about 914's is that none of the stock colors look bad. There are a lot of other brands with really butt ugly looking colors. Who comes up with these things anyway?

Michael J
Well I meant to add this picture. Looks like a primary color chart but theay all look great.
tat2dphreak
2 best colors, INHO: aubergine, and signal orange....

silver, dark reds and blues are good too...

I'm not a green fan, ravenna or otherwise...
anthony
I love my silver car but I'd trade for a black one like this - btw this was my uncles mint condition '74 2L (75K miles in that pic, always garaged, showroom condition, with a 5 lug conversion):

tat2dphreak
QUOTE (anthony @ May 14 2005, 07:50 PM)
I love my silver car but I'd trade for a black one like this - btw this was my uncles mint condition '74 2L (75K miles in that pic, always garaged, showroom condition, with a 5 lug conversion):

OH YEAH!!! Black is a great car color on anything but it makes the 914 look tough!

I could never handle a black car in tejas though
Ray Warren
Silver of course.
Adriatic Blue would be my second choice.
TJB/914
Chrome Yellow or Saturn Yellow (same color)
greenie
Zambezi Green of course!
vesnyder
Thanks for the reply's! Would probably go with the black, but my 911 is black and want something different. Like the bright colors - orange, yellow, or green. Here's the 911 ...

boxstr
John Hilton came up to CAMP today driving his 914-6, love love this color, man it is nice to look at.
CCLINCAMPMASTER
boxstr
Check the Lic. plate.
CCLINDMV
72914S
I think the answer is what you like! Me,I like guards red.I know its not a factory color,but.
TROJANMAN
I love my Copper Metallic, because there are not very many of them, but if i had a choice, i would go MALAGA RED smilie_pokal.gif
scotty b
QUOTE (jim912928 @ May 14 2005, 05:33 AM)
Arctic Silver....way too cool IMHO!

Jim I was wondering are those wheels 16" or 17". I'm thinking of putting them on my car but would prefer a 17" Thanks.
xsboost90
the boxster rims? those are 16", i know someone that has a pair fs in cincy if interested. I liked black and silver but i couldnt make a decision so i didnt..
jim912928
Scotty...those boxster rims are 16X7's all around....Jim
Flat VW
Cool resource,

From the Rennlist site there is a column labeled RGB, does any one know what that may signify?

For example, our 75' car, orginal color, Palma Metallic Green, paint code L95K, is listed under the RGB column as 86,106,33.
What does that mean?

Perhaps some color mixing pallet besides Panatone?

Anyone, anyone, Bueller? cool_shades.gif

TIA,

John

Rennlist for 914 Colors
mikelsr
Not a bright green but Irish Green is good.

user posted image

If you look at the power lines that go over the cars, that is the *poop* line. All the birds in the neighborhood come over right after eating when my cars are out on the driveway. sigh... I would love to ar15.gif them or the power company.
scotty b
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ May 15 2005, 06:47 AM)
the boxster rims? those are 16", i know someone that has a pair fs in cincy if interested. I liked black and silver but i couldnt make a decision so i didnt..

Any idea how much$$ I won't even be starting on the car till next year, but if the price is right.....you know what that means biggrin.gif I may have to go with 16's.
brp914
adriatic wub.gif
iamchappy
I've only seen one light platinum gold one in my life, it was a car my brother bought for his high maintenance fashion model girl friend. He bought a 1976 black one for himself and the platinum gold one for her. I had a 73 Phoenix red one at the time and always loved the way that platinum car looked.
It's not listed on the 914 color site, I wish I knew the color code for it.
iamchappy
The code could be w1w platinum metallic it was offered on 76 912s.
redshift
I like that color on a teener too, I actually like the gold ones, with white guts.

M
a.munoz3
lets think of something good dark and mysterious hmm.... metallic black .............. dun dun dun clap.gif
brer
I heart my color.

wink.gif
ken914
Take a look at the Porsche Selecta and you can adjust color, wheels, ride height and all kinds of cool stuff. Great way to waste time at work!

http://www.retromotorcompany.co.uk/selecta/ps.htm

joeav8tor
Phoenix red...which looks pretty orange, but I love the color! flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.