Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 74 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ndfrigi
Well since I sold recently my 1st 914 a 75 1.8FI out of 6 914s since 2011. My family was so sad selling it especially my youngest daughter who started riding with when she was only 4 yrs old.

This 74 is a just a roller and need body works and only has a bill of sale. Do you think I can get it title here in CA? DMV mentioned before that there is no record of stolen. That is a good news. Can someone share how to start or what to do to get it titled and estimate how much it will cost?

Just after the 75 1.8 was pick up by the new owner (member here from San Diego), to make my family laugh instead of seeing them sad, I took a set of extra wheels, seat and steering wheel to show that I will start to a new project.

And last week, i checked the compression of 1.7 core engine I have for a while, and got all cylinders to around 120. Next month, after a family vacation, I may start to install a dual carb (Thanks to a friend Abe who is offering to give me his weber 40 that only need some rebuild for free) and try to run the engine.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
arne
Nice, we do have to stay busy, don't we?

The new roller is the silver one? Those American Racing Le Mans wheels are the best 4 lug wheels ever. Love them!
tygaboy
I've done this a number of times. Take the bill of sale to the DMV. Tell them the previous owner lost the paper work. You may have to fill out some other forms (application for title, etc.) that may require the seller's signature.
So long as the car was last registered in CA, you should be able to get the new title, etc. with little trouble.
In CA, if the car is from out of state, they won't give you a title until you bring it in for an inspection. And, it has to be road worthy at that time. Meaning, you can't tow a roller down there and expect to get a title.
And the CHP won't inspect an out of state car that isn't road worthy.

Ask me how I know...

This whole out of state inspection requiring the car be running is fairly recent. I towed my out of state registered '75 roller to the CHP and they didn't blink. This was just over a year ago, or so. Then I tried it again about 8 months ago and the very same CHP inspector said "nope, new rules..."

So, if you have a CA car, you should be fine.

As to cost, it should be ~ sales tax on whatever you (say you) paid for it plus like $15. At least that's what happens in our county. Good luck!
ndfrigi
QUOTE(arne @ Jun 29 2017, 02:32 PM) *

Nice, we do have to stay busy, don't we?

The new roller is the silver one? Those American Racing Le Mans wheels are the best 4 lug wheels ever. Love them!

Yes sir it is the silver. And yes also to make us busy inside garage instead of going somewhere else.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 29 2017, 02:35 PM) *

I've done this a number of times. Take the bill of sale to the DMV. Tell them the previous owner lost the paper work. You may have to fill out some other forms (application for title, etc.) that may require the seller's signature.
So long as the car was last registered in CA, you should be able to get the new title, etc. with little trouble.
In CA, if the car is from out of state, they won't give you a title until you bring it in for an inspection. And, it has to be road worthy at that time. Meaning, you can't tow a roller down there and expect to get a title.
And the CHP won't inspect an out of state car that isn't road worthy.

Ask me how I know...

This whole out of state inspection requiring the car be running is fairly recent. I towed my out of state registered '75 roller to the CHP and they didn't blink. This was just over a year ago, or so. Then I tried it again about 8 months ago and the very same CHP inspector said "nope, new rules..."

So, if you have a CA car, you should be fine.

As to cost, it should be ~ sales tax on whatever you (say you) paid for it plus like $15. At least that's what happens in our county. Good luck!

Yes sir it is a CA car, the problem about going to the previous seller or owner. Before I got it, a contractor got it from his client a long time ago and didn't plan of getting it titled because he plan to use it for autox only, then a friend bought it from the contractor and didn't mind getting any document because he only need the 2.0 FI engine, well after a friend took the engine, I ended up having the car. Contractor, to a friend and myself are all within the same city.
Tom_T
You might try calling Donna Leek, as she's worked on these problems for many CA classic car & vintage trailer owners for a number of years now, & she is a former DMV person herself.

http://dmvgal.blogspot.com/

She also has ads in many of the old car & vintage trailer magazines.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 29 2017, 05:06 PM) *

You might try calling Donna Leek, as she's worked on these problems for many CA classic car & vintage trailer owners for a number of years now, & she is a former DMV person herself.

http://dmvgal.blogspot.com/

She also has ads in many of the old car & vintage trailer magazines.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thank you sir Tom!
EdwardBlume
If a car is out of the system, it is out of the system. If its still in the system, you may owe money, especially if it was not non-oped. Go to AAA or DMV and ask. Good luck!
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Jun 29 2017, 09:05 PM) *

If a car is out of the system, it is out of the system. If its still in the system, you may owe money, especially if it was not non-oped. Go to AAA or DMV and ask. Good luck!

thank you! well hoping everything will be okay and if not, I will just cut it to pieces or maybe someone wants it for autox only.
ndfrigi
very slow progress.
Last friday received the box of used weber 40 idf from a member here. Nicely done packaging it by the previous owner.

Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jun 29 2017, 09:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Jun 29 2017, 09:05 PM) *

thank you! well hoping everything will be okay and if not, I will just cut it to pieces or maybe someone wants it for autox only.

Or sell it to someone out of state where the DMV is less anal smile.gif

IPB Image

Seeing this makes me want to build a single seat gocart with my extra parts, or a 60s F1 car thanks to the movie Grand Prix piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.