Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
Caught in a bit of a rain squall, turned wipers on which have always worked faithfully before, wipers went to the vertical position then stopped! Fuse is good, didn't try too hard to put wipers back in the park position, there is a lot of resistance and I didn't want to break anything. What is up, motor burned out, little gear box jammed, wire fall off? How hard is it to get to that wiper motor and little gear box?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
914Sixer
A dead stop like you describe is more likely electrical not mechanical. Might have lost the ground.
Ian Stott
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 30 2017, 12:32 AM) *

A dead stop like you describe is more likely electrical not mechanical. Might have lost the ground.

Ran a ground from the battery to the wiper motor, that didn't work, looks like the gas tank has to come out to get at that area, and of course it is full!

Ian
Mark Henry
Your fusebox has been replaced with a Jwest unit, did you check the connections to the fuse block?
Are you getting power to the wiper motor?

Ian Stott
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 1 2017, 09:37 AM) *

Your fusebox has been replaced with a Jwest unit, did you check the connections to the fuse block?
Are you getting power to the wiper motor?

Think yes, but will double check that. Thanks for chiming in Mark, see my post about not starting, could use your advice there!

Ian
Mark Henry
Also check your steering column connector to the wiper switch.
tomeric914
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Jun 29 2017, 07:15 PM) *

What is up, motor burned out, little gear box jammed, wire fall off?

Mine do this occasionally as well and are remedied by spraying PB blaster on the wiper shafts where they pivot in the bushings. I should rebuild them... dry.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Jul 1 2017, 10:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Jun 29 2017, 07:15 PM) *

What is up, motor burned out, little gear box jammed, wire fall off?

Mine do this occasionally as well and are remedied by spraying PB blaster on the wiper shafts where they pivot in the bushings. I should rebuild them... dry.gif

Do they just stop or slow down to the point when they just stop?

I've had this issue as well on the bugs, but they always got slower before they dead stopped.
For sure worth checking out though.
burton73
My relay was bad and the wipers stopped as well as the horn and the vent fan. Swapped out one headlight motor relay and it worked till I got a used one from one of the guys on the board.

Bob B

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.