Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: first gear shudder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mzalanka
Help me out, fellas.

Trying to sort out a first gear issue in my 75 2056 with D-jet. Just getting this car back on the road after a 6 year (well, 5 year 10 month, but who's counting?) resto. She's mostly running well except taking off in first gear.

The problem I'm having is a "shudder" from take-off in first gear. Barely noticeable cold, gets much worse hot. Occurs as clutch engages. Does NOT happen in any other gear including reverse. Foot on gas, let out clutch, shudders hard from about 1800-2500 RPM, then no shudder after that. Shifter handle shakes in sync with the bucking. Can't feel it in the clutch pedal (can feel it in my neck, though biggrin.gif ).

Tranny is an older rebuild, traded for from a reputable World member, who rebuilt it at a Dr Evil clinic maybe 7 (?) years ago. It had an input seal leak; I put about 100 miles on it before pulling it and fixing the leak; leak-free now. When I pulled the tranny, there was zero oil on the pressure plate; didn't remove to look at clutch disc. I don't remember the shudder being so bad before I removed the tranny to fix the seal, but I also didn't get it really hot on the first 100 miles - just a bunch of shorter highway runs.

While we're on the topic of the clutch, since that's what you're all thinking about smile.gif :
-2056 rebuild with fresh clutch, installed by the rebuilder (well known World fella also), only has about 150 miles on it at present
-does NOT slip with the "high gear and hill" test
-again, does NOT shudder in reverse
-clutch pedal is butter smooth cold, gets "notchy" or, I guess, "not smooth" warm but doesn't seem to affect smoothness in other gears - just first

I replaced the tranny mounts (which were toasted) yesterday; problem's still there though. Motor mounts are good; put in a good used set that were pretty solid when I installed them. Mounting bar goes up with the engine when it's jacked. Tightened everything to be sure. Also checked the engine to tranny nuts and they're OK too.

Sometimes the shudder is awful out of first, sometimes it's not bad but still there. So intermittent, from one takeoff to the next. It's notchy going into first and requires the usual shift to third then first at lights. But I've assumed that's normal from the new rebuild.

Fuel pressure at the rail is 35 cold, 30 hot. Idle is about 1000. Timing just checked - 27 deg. TPS adjusted a few months ago; idle mix knob on the ECU works so I think it knows its at idle. Was told it was a new TPS on the build.

I checked the shifting action into first gear at the tranny and it seems to be fully engaging.

Who knows what's going on?

Also, since of course thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Click to view attachment
Rand
Fuel pressure at the rail is 35 cold, 30 hot. Idle is about 1000. Timing just checked - 27 deg. TPS adjusted a few months ago; idle mix knob on the ECU works so I think it knows its at idle. Was told it was a new TPS on the build.

Are you wondering if this is related to your first gear issue?
Sniff sniff. Something smells fishy. I also wonder, "Who knows what's going on?"
Have your fun, stinkfish. Hopefully it gets old eventually and you'll stop when you mature. May I recommend the Fiat forum? Plenty of new fodder.
We enjoy people with experience. Your dings bounce off. Ping!
mzalanka
Reposted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.