Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 lug conversion question.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turbonet
Bought a five lug conversion recently but the rear calipers don't have an e-brake on them. Can anyone shed some light on what I have exactly.

Click to view attachment
mgphoto
911 front calipers
turbonet
That's what I thought. I can use the original 914 rear calipers instead right?
Porschef
No, You'll need a pair of -6 rear calipers. Ouch.$$$

Something else might work, I'm not an expert by any stretch. -4 rotors are only what, 9mm wide? Your 5 lug rotors are probably in the 15mm range.

A buddy around the corner has a -6 conversion, I break his balls all the time about how much he spent on it but doesn't have an E-brake... rolleyes.gif
turbonet
That sucks
falcor75
I used 914-6 rear discs with the stock -4 rear calipers. No issues.
914Sixer
There are a couple of options. Run early 911 rear calipers with no spacer. Use the e-brake setup from those with a modification kit from Tangerine Racing. Second use the 914-6 rotor with the stock 914-4 rear. -6 rotor may or may not have to be turned on the outer diameter to fit the -4 caliper.
mepstein
SixerJ and Falcor are correct. You can use a 6 rotor (should be $50-60 each) with your stock rear 914-4 calipers. You often have to shave 2-3mm from the rotor diameter but this can be done easily and cheap. Put new rubber flex lines on the back - while you are in there $25. The holes on the rotor fixing screws might not line up if you are using converted 914-4 hubs, no big deal, just leave the screws off. The rotors will be held secure by the lug nuts when you bolt on the wheel. (They wont fall off when you take off the wheel since the caliper holds them on both sides).

Like the others said, if you are not using a stock 4 caliper, you can use a 911 ebrake but this will take some mods, 911 ebrake parts, a conversion kit from tangerine racing and I. believe you will need a 911 hub as well.

If you want to match up the rear brake to a big front brake, the 914-6 calipers or the 911 ebrake with a 911 caliper are the best option but not mandatory. When you put your car together, make sure to test it out in an empty parking lot so you can feel what your setup will do under different braking senarios
Mark Henry
What happened to the V-caliper? I don't see it on Eric's site anymore. confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 1 2017, 03:42 PM) *

What happened to the V-caliper? I don't see it on Eric's site anymore. confused24.gif

I think he was having trouble getting correct hardware but I'm not positive.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 1 2017, 05:11 PM) *

Ahhh... My set had no hardware I had to make my own pins and I'm looking for a pad spring solution.

I know from davep (who used to make V-caliper up here, long time ago) that the through bolts are made of unobtainium as well.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 1 2017, 06:09 PM) *

Ahhh... My set had no hardware I had to make my own pins and I'm looking for a pad spring solution.

I know from davep (who used to make V-caliper up here, long time ago) that the through bolts are made of unobtainium as well.

I think it was the through bolts that was an issue.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 1 2017, 06:11 PM) *

That's what I thought.

I'm not mad at Eric for the no hardware, I'd just like to know what he's used for the pad springs, even if they have to be modified. smash.gif
I tried emailing him on this long time ago but only got crickets.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 1 2017, 03:34 AM) *
-4 rotors are only what, 9mm wide? Your 5 lug rotors are probably in the 15mm range.

The Six rear rotors are almost exactly the same as the Four rear rotors. They are solid, not vented. They might be a mm or two thicker, but that doesn't prevent them from being used. They do have a slightly larger diameter, as has been mentioned, but that can be dealt with by turning them down or by spacing the caliper out a few mm.

Rear vented rotors are from some other car, typically a 911, and need appropriate calipers. The "V calipers" are 914 rears with a spacer in the middle so they can fit over the vented rotors, and others have used 911 rear brakes and either no parking brake or have modified the trailing arms to make the 911-type drum parking brake work.

--DD
bdstone914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 1 2017, 03:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 1 2017, 06:09 PM) *

One solution to the bolts is to use the calipers that use through bolts and drill them out to take 8mm bolts which are readily available. They need to be higher then 8.8 grade.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.