Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with rear wheel bearing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thinlie
Doing the rear 5 lug conversion. Everything came off without a hitch. Old bearing was a little tight in there, but came off with a little persuasion. Fitted the new bearing in and the hub no problem. The problem now is the hub has a little wobble in it. The bearing is in there nice and tight but the wobble is coming from the bearing itself. Its an SKF rear wheel bearing with a split race. Did a search here and pilican, one said to torque the bearing and hub. Is this true? And if so, to how much. Appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Mark
jim912928
Ok..per the factory manual there are probably these two areas to torq properly:

1. castle nut on stub axle (pulls everything tight).... 217-253 ft/lbs (they only give the range)
2. bearing cover on control arm............18 ft/lbs

also...fyi...the wheel nuts on a 914/6 speck are to 94 ft/lbs for the rear

Hope this helps...Jim
thinlie
Am I to assume that the hubs in there now without the axles installed will always have that wobble up until the axles are installed and torqued to 215+ lbs.

Mark
xsboost90
you didnt pop the inner race apart at any time did you? If not, yeah they are a tad loose until you tighten up the stub axel. Mine were, just dont set the car on the wheels until those axels are tight.
ChrisFoley
Yes. Until you tighten the stub axle there is nothing to hold the two inner bearing races together. Once they are held firmly the play in the bearing will be minimal.
Eric_Shea
agree.gif

Get the stub axle in there and then tighten everything up. You should be fine.
Aaron Cox
yep. i was worried too... 230 ft lbs or so and MINIMAL play
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.