Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat/Vent faceplate ootuons
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NJTom
Hello, I know this is a trivial thing, but saw a 914 with what looked like a "new" faceplate for the heat/defrost. I've attached a picture of mine. Wondering if in the 914 world someone has a suggestion, on how to make it look better. Thanks in advance!
Tom_T
A good fine tooth (brush, Q-tips, etc.) cleaning will help, & you can carefully pop off those rubber knobs to soak them in soapy water or 409 to clean the years of grease-n-grime off of them & pop them back.

PS - use the least aggressive stuff to clean, such as mild dish soap & work slow & easy! .... so you won't wear off the 45+/- year old paint.

I can't tell if your chrome trim ring/bezel is reflecting it or discolored by the the red (perhaps your red shirt?), but if just discoloration, perhaps the cleaning will work there too & then just use some chrome polish to shine it up.

Otherwise if the chrome or plasti-chrome is shot, then you'll have to get it rechromed/re-plasti-chromed, which is best done with a batch of other parts for the same work. IIRC they went to plastic with plasti-chrome bezel/trim ring in 74 or 75 MY, or maybe never.

Or just look for a better used part online (whole unit or just the bezel/ring).

Happy Detailing! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
banananose914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 1 2017, 03:15 PM) *

That is a damn nice heater control
Rob-O
And was sold pretty darn quick, too!
914Sixer
New chrome trim is available over at Sierra Madre.
NJTom
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 1 2017, 01:46 PM) *

A good fine tooth (brush, Q-tips, etc.) cleaning will help, & you can carefully pop off those rubber knobs to soak them in soapy water or 409 to clean the years of grease-n-grime off of them & pop them back.

PS - use the least aggressive stuff to clean, such as mild dish soap & work slow & easy! .... so you won't wear off the 45+/- year old paint.

I can't tell if your chrome trim ring/bezel is reflecting it or discolored by the the red (perhaps your red shirt?), but if just discoloration, perhaps the cleaning will work there too & then just use some chrome polish to shine it up.

Otherwise if the chrome or plasti-chrome is shot, then you'll have to get it rechromed/re-plasti-chromed, which is best done with a batch of other parts for the same work. IIRC they went to plastic with plasti-chrome bezel/trim ring in 74 or 75 MY, or maybe never.

Or just look for a better used part online (whole unit or just the bezel/ring).

Happy Detailing! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks!!
NJTom
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 1 2017, 06:32 PM) *

New chrome trim is available over at Sierra Madre.

Yikes! $128.00 pricey. But thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.