Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Summer Ventilation Solution
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
One of the first things I did when I got my '74 2.0L was to pull out the entire DPD A/C system. I did it for three reasons- first, it was D.O.A., second, to shed 67 lbs., and third, the damn blower motor for the ventilator/evaporator unit was in the way of my right foot, making it difficult to use the accelerator pedal with my size 13 shoe. The only thing I left installed was the ventilator shell below the dash.

Along comes another scorching Florida summer and I realized I needed some sort of ventilation, especially when sitting at 5 minute stop lights. Just putting the blower back in its original location would not do, as it would block my foot again. That's when my wife suggested placing the blower "inside" the ventilator shell, since the evaporator was no longer occupying any space (see attached diagram). It fit like a glove and still had plenty of air supply when installed inside the shell, as it is open on one side in the back. Wired it back up to the original 3-speed switch and voila- I now have blowing air for relief and nothing is in the way of the accelerator pedal! In addition it all still has the appearance of the original A/C unit. Also, I realized my wife is a "helluva engineer"! - ANSBACHER

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Cool! (See what I did there?) beerchug.gif
mepstein
We are getting a couple of the electric a/c units in to the shop for 911 builds so I will see how easy it is to adapt to a 914-6.
PanelBilly
Is this the unit that has been discussed on Pelican?
mepstein
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 3 2017, 11:38 AM) *

Yes
Dtjaden
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 3 2017, 09:55 AM) *

Yes

Mark,

If you get this to work well on a 914 at a reasonable cost I will be in line to purchase a kit. Keep us updated!
GeorgeRud
The electric compressor sounds great and should be able to cool a 914 cabin, but I'm concerned about the amp draw the compressor will take.
mepstein
QUOTE(Dtjaden @ Jul 3 2017, 09:36 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 3 2017, 09:55 AM) *

Yes

Mark,

If you get this to work well on a 914 at a reasonable cost I will be in line to purchase a kit. Keep us updated!

The 911 kit is produced by classic retrofit. Im not making a 914 kit, i just want to adapt it to my 914. Retail price is around $3,800. Im not sure what you consider reasonable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.