Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CHT Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
While I was in Georgia at Aircooled Technology I learned something about the importance of having accurate head temp measurements. I had avoided using the ring type probes under the spark plugs because of the difficulty with installation/removal.
Mounting thermocouples under the plugs is the only way to get accurate readings so I came up with an installation that meets my requirements. I think these will stay put just fine whenever I remove/install the plugs.
I made a temporary plug for the spark plug holes by cutting apart an old spark plug. That way no chips would get in the combustion chamber while working. Using a carbide burr I cut a small notch in the side of the plug recess I and now there is a place for the wire-to-ring connection.
ChrisFoley
I placed the wires under the head studs to help keep the themocouples in place.
ChrisFoley
Even after the shroud is in place I can get the plugs in and out and not disturb my CHT senders.
ChrisFoley
I purchased a nice digital CHT Gauge. It displays all 4 head temps sequentially, or just displays the one highest head temp. It can also step manually from one to the next. The ten count bar graph can be configured to any range within 100-700 degrees.
ChrisFoley
At NHIS I started working on paying attention to my new gauge. In the first session I totally forgot it was there, but by the race I was watching it occasionally. Therre appears to be about a 20-25 degree difference from my old CHTs, which have a bayonet probe in a hole drilled at the stock CHT location.
My new installation separates the CHT function from my other gauge which will now only display EGT. It would be nice to have both gauges adjacent to each other on the same panel but that will have to be worked out in the off season.
kenpolives
Hey Chris, shouldn't you be welding......... just kidding. Is that for your engine or the one for W. Harris?

guywan914
Chris, great idea. I don't know if I could do that might blow my 100,000 mile warrantee from Jake laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif I've been trying to swing in to see you to check on where you are at with the bushings, but have been way to busy these past two weeks. I may try to get by this week. Wher are you running on memorial day weekend?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (guywan914 @ May 14 2005, 07:51 PM)
Where are you running on memorial day weekend?

Guy,
You should have something like this for your engine.
I don't have the new bushings for the front end yet (will be soon) but if you have the trailing arms already powder coated, drop them off.
I'm not racing Mem. weekend, next date is 6/11 at LRP.

Don,
William's engine will have stock cooling and D-Jet EFI, unless I can talk him into SDS. He shouldn't need a CHT setup. Work will commence on your car next week I think.
Somehow I have to get the ball rolling on Bob G.'s car again too.
Rleog
Nice way around the wire clearance problem, Chris. Think I may borrow your idea. Jake will probably up the warranty to 150,000 mi if all cylinders are monitored!

Looks like the gauge says, "Aerospace Logic, Inc." True?

ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Rleog @ May 14 2005, 08:55 PM)
Looks like the gauge says, "Aerospace Logic, Inc."  True?

Yup, Aerospace Logic
I bought mine new on eBay.
I had to replace the 18mm probes they supplied with Westach 713-4W 14mm probes, and install my own connectors from Wicks Aircraft Supply.
I guess it would be nice if you had a car to put the engine in though. unsure.gif
Rleog
Ahhhh, patience...

Racing uber alles. And you know how the McQueen quote goes!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.