Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Messed up!!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
locked the keys in the car and i wanna know how to get into it without breaking glass or setting anything on fire....Here's what I have tried before (yeah yeah i should get a backup set of keys, but i dont trust my parents):

1)Trying to get a hanger through the targa top, didn't work when i tried to pry the targa off, i cracked a very small part fo the fiberglass and stopped.

2)pushing in the window channel seal to provide the opening....tried this, i consider it my last resort.

*now i know the door handles push these paddle things to open the door, is there a way i could make a flat piece of something with a 90 degree bend in it to push a paddle maybe?
djsinister702
I locked my key in my car once....i use a wire hanger and make a loop at the end and after many tried i got it on the door handle and pulled...and viola..it open biggrin.gif
CptTripps
If you haven't replaced the back windshield, you could pop it out...it's not too hard to do.
bd1308
yes but what did you use to make the opening, or did you just stick it through the window seal? AAA uses the window seal to roll down the window, then just opens the door, and one time they even got the keys out of the ignition. Wish i had one of those lead rods though.
bd1308
QUOTE (CptTripps @ May 14 2005, 04:21 PM)
If you haven't replaced the back windshield, you could pop it out...it's not too hard to do.

i'm afraid i'd hear a crack before i heard a pop, besides i'm babysitting for my 4 yr old brother. fun fun sad.gif i'll just try with a wire hanger at like 1 or 2 am....b4 i usually go to bed
scotty914
use a coat hanger to pop the rear roof latch. then use the coat hanger to open the door

or continue to break the top now that you will want a new one
bondo
Old locks are usually easy to jimmy. I opened mine with a subaru key once. Try the driver's side, it's usually the most worn. Just try every key you can find that will fit and is about the right length. Wiggle it up and down and in and out while lightly trying to turn it. (that almost sounds naughty) If that fails, you can always read up online about lock picking.. smile.gif
SGB
I believe you could make an L shaped piece to slide in the top rear corner of the window. Have someone else (hopefully) pull on the end to pull the window away far enough to get a longer coat hanger with hoop on the end across passenger compartment to the inside door handle -or maybe the window winder- on the other side. You will prolly have to pull pretty hard once you do get something hooked....
MattR
Reach up through the rust hole in the floor pan biggrin.gif
bd1308
my floor pan has NO Rust....these are all good ideas, i'lll try them. i hope a jeep key will work....land rover keys are massive and the jag key looks like something that came off of terminator...
onrails
Use as coat hanger to unlatch the rear targa latches. Both of them. Then reach in and undo the front latches with your hand, and take the top off!!!!! Use a wood shim to pry the side window out, hook the coat hanger around the latch, and use a putty knife or long screwdriver to push the coat hanger down to pull the latch.
Flat VW
QUOTE (onrails @ May 14 2005, 03:56 PM)
Use as coat hanger to unlatch the rear targa latches.

agree.gif Worked for me .....

John
SirAndy
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 14 2005, 03:16 PM)
i wanna know how to get into it

three letters ...

AAA

took the guy the better half of 10 seconds to get the door open.
and, as a 914 owner, i'm sure you already have a AAA membership, right?

if so, it's for free!
wink.gif Andy
wilchek
i think the roof solution is the way to go. The lock only looks like it keeps the handles form moving. this is what the inside of the door looks like
bd1308
alright, the easy approach to the targa thing didn't work, so apparently the way the system is constructed, i have to get to the driver side rear targa latch through the passenger side window....ya think one coat hanger length is enough?
jim912928
I did what djsinister did....unraveled a coat hanger...made a loop in it..went between the seals and hooked the door handle..pulled and open...took about 10 minutes.

Jim
scotty914
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 14 2005, 07:03 PM)
alright, the easy approach to the targa thing didn't work, so apparently the way the system is constructed, i have to get to the driver side rear targa latch through the passenger side window....ya think one coat hanger length is enough?

no you should be able to get the latch on the side you are working on unless your latches are on the wrong side if they will even fit. basicly just bend a short hook with an up sweep. then just get then under the latches and pull, should open right up
bd1308
dude my door is LOCKEd....and the hanger isnt strong enough to pull the unlock lever.....i dont think, lemme try hold on headbang.gif
scotty914
the ROOF latches not the doors
bd1308
gotcha....i know i'm making it more complicated than it really is.....
Type 4 Unleashed
Use a coat hanger, bend a about a half inch in to a 90, 4 or 5" put a small arch after the 90, put the hanger through the very corner of the window and door, the latch that locks the door, that moves up and down with the key, you just need to push it down, after you get the coat hanger in the door, work the door handel easy, you will feel the handle move back and forth through the hanger, it doesn't take alot of pressure to move that latch, the key does it every day, it's not that hard, after the first time it's apiece of cake. smash.gif
bd1308
good work friend....sounds promising....
rhodyguy
sounds like you already broke the top sad.gif . cut a hole in it, reach down, unlock the door and put the top from the project car on. get a key made and bury it in an old coffee can in the back yard.

k
scotty914
best thing to is get a spare made, the climb up under the car somewhere you can get to and zip tie the key to something. i have used suspention, engine, bumpers, or tranny to zip tie it to. just make it hard to see unless you know where it is
bd1308
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ May 14 2005, 09:29 PM)
sounds like you already broke the top sad.gif . cut a hole in it, reach down, unlock the door and put the top from the project car on. get a key made and bury it in an old coffee can in the back yard.

k

no way Jose' you cant even tell i messed with it....i'm just gonna wait till morning. I have a belief that my brother's Jeep key might work though.....
bd1308
1)try Jeep Key
2)try to unhook rear targa hatches....
3)call AAA....which i hate doing cause they had my driver's side glass flared out at least 1.5inch using plastic shims, and he's doign this while telling me about how he broke a window last week on a car.....*last resort*
bd1308
V6914: You're plan worked....good job! took me like 5 minutes to find the rod thing and push it down, and voila! door unlocked, i must say i was impressed too....
redshift
:shakeshead:
bd1308
no witty comeback or random thought or comment???? are you dying miles? this isnt like you at all....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.